Sober October - What Now

Mike Teavee

Sober October - What Now  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't say I was a problem drinker per-se (6-12 beers & a couple of bottles of wine at the weekend, rarely drink in the week because of work), but I joined a few of my mates in taking part in "Sober October" & abstained from drinking for the month 

Results have been that I'm feeling much better in myself, sleeping better & much more energetic/engaging in work etc... so it's clearly shown some benefits already.    

So I was curious as to what anybody else who participated feels/thinks & what their plans are going forward.

[I know there are several people on here who don't drink & possibly more who do but won't have participated (Possibly never heard of it), looking for views from people who do drink & have participated] 

never heard of Sober October but I drink roughly the same amount as you used to. This weekend has been a bit of a heavy one and Iam feeling it a bit. 

Yesterday my energy level was nil, I regret losing a day as I could have been engaging with my kid instead of laying around on the settee all day. The upshot being my wife's suggestion that we break untill New Year.

I look forward to the same benefits you mention in your post.

Yea it's the following day I call "the slows" and if I had a major bender then a couple of those days.  I stopped about a month ago in order to drop a few  pounds before a 50 day tour of India and Nepal. I'll need the energy.  Wouldn't want to miss the opportunity for some local brews where I travel to so I'll be back enjoying the suds in a few months.  Have never noticed much of a change other than saving some money and yea can stay more focused on diet and exercise.  The liver IF it has fatty tissues issues should enjoy the hiatus in order to restore itself as well.  One can only hope.

Never heard of Sober October. I think you need a few additional vote choices. IE. Survey didn't relate to me as I didn't know about it. I read TV most days & am pretty much across most local gossip. Was the Sober October "thingy" only related to or advertised in Bangkok ?

8 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Never heard of Sober October. I think you need a few additional vote choices. IE. Survey didn't relate to me as I didn't know about it. I read TV most days & am pretty much across most local gossip. Was the Sober October "thingy" only related to or advertised in Bangkok ?

Sorry, I should have highlighted that it was a UK "Thingy" aimed at getting people to be more aware of / cut down on their alcohol intake & raise some cash for charity...

https://www.gosober.org.uk/

As I age, I've found alcohol affects me more. I've given up drinking during weekdays, only have a couple of scotches each night over the weekend. Maybe a big bottle of beer with lunch on Saturday or Sunday.

A few  things I've noticed. I sleep better on my abstaining days, and get up to pee once in the night, as against

2-3 times. Brewer's droop is a reality with me. On my abstaining days, humpy-rumpy with my Thai GF is much more prolonged and enjoyable.

Couldn't care less about what others think of my drinking. I don't drink and drive, if I DO plan a night out, I always get a room within staggering distance, and only take money/documents necessary that I can afford to lose.

If alcohol is causing problems in your life, you have an alcohol problem.  Full stop.

Too many people die of cirrhosis, spousal abuse, DWI, and the myriad of other ills that problem drinking brings to bear- while they work out whether they or their loved one fits the definition of "alcoholic".    It doesn't matter.  All that matters is whether alcohol is causing problems, and whether you want it to stop. 

You're the only one who can decide for you.  Just like others (including those in your life) are the only ones who can decide for themselves.   In either case, there's a seat all warmed up for you at the local AA or Al Anon (Al Anon is for those whose loved ones' drinking is causing problems in their lives). 

If it's not causing problems, enjoy!  And I mean that sincerely.  If it is causing problems, and you want it to stop, get help.  Stopping on your own is too fricking hard- and not necessary.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:26 PM, Ulic said:

Just a social drinker. I often don't drink for months at a time. 

A social drinker who goes months without a drink?? Strange definition of the phrase.

I am a social drinker who averages 30 - 40 units of alcohol weekly. Sometimes more sometimes less.

I have friends who drink 3 large Chang every day - approx 63 units a week. And have done for many years, including when it was 6.4abv - so then approx 80 units a week. All in our seventies. I have known others who died in their fifties after years of 5 bottles of scotch a week for years and stupid drunk by mid-afternoon most days.

I know which fits my definition of social drinker.

I used to really knock it back and when I made the decision to shift a lot of weight around five years ago I left the beer and Jack Daniels behind and went on to red wine. Probably drink three or four units a week now and much better for it. Three stone lighter too.

Sclerosis is a horrible way to die. You bleed out of every orifice. My brother in law's father went that ways as did my niece's father in law. Neither considered themselves alcoholics as they didn't drink during the day. Didn’t stop them drinking a bottle of scotch between 6 pm and the time they went to bed though...

On 11/5/2018 at 9:31 PM, rott said:

A social drinker who goes months without a drink?? Strange definition of the phrase.

I am a social drinker who averages 30 - 40 units of alcohol weekly. Sometimes more sometimes less.

I have friends who drink 3 large Chang every day - approx 63 units a week. And have done for many years, including when it was 6.4abv - so then approx 80 units a week. All in our seventies. I have known others who died in their fifties after years of 5 bottles of scotch a week for years and stupid drunk by mid-afternoon most days.

I know which fits my definition of social drinker.

Oh do I remember when Chang was stronger! 4 large for 100 baht, before heading out to the pub.

I was thinking the same re social drinking. I guess some purple have little social life.

I don't drink and have a full social life, it's possible, although I used to think it was impossible.

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Oh do I remember when Chang was stronger! 4 large for 100 baht, before heading out to the pub.

I was thinking the same re social drinking. I guess some purple have little social life.

I don't drink and have a full social life, it's possible, although I used to think it was impossible.

So you equate drinking with having no social life? Interesting.

The Chang drinkers I mentioned, go out have their three beers and then go home and get on witheir lives.

I mentioned my own consumption to illustrate what I think being a moderate social drinker is. I too go out to bars and caffs for my drink, sitting at home with a beer has never been my idea of fun I have always been a pub man.

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Sorry but I understood that to mean social drinking equals no social life.

There used to be a Norwegian in our small town, decent person when sober but he would have at least four Chang before coming out, <deleted> headache then. You did well to kicl it I think he had cirrhosis, left that town, not sure what beacame of him.

1 hour ago, rott said:

Sorry but I understood that to mean social drinking equals no social life.

There used to be a Norwegian in our small town, decent person when sober but he would have at least four Chang before coming out, <deleted> headache then. You did well to kicl it I think he had cirrhosis, left that town, not sure what beacame of him.

I was referring to the guy who said he was a social drinker but didn't drink for months. 

I think you think that social drinker means moderate drinker.

I think a social drinker is someone who can take it or leave it, i.e. of has visitors who don't drink, he can have fun without a drink, or if they did drink, he can have a couple and leave it there, without getting smashed.

Other drinkers like me, are totally unsociable! 

Quick update, had my first beers in 44 days last night & feel bloody awful (hangover) this morning.

Never my intention to become a non-drinker, but the 6 weeks not drinking has given me the opportunity to look at my non-social drinking habits (E.g. Bottle of wine or 2 when home alone) & make some adjustments.

Have to say I'm eating a lot more though so will have to get back on the booze before I get too fat (am semi-joking, I do find myself eating a lot more now but not as bad as when I stopped smoking & ballooned to 100KG)

42 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Quick update, had my first beers in 44 days last night & feel bloody awful (hangover) this morning.

Never my intention to become a non-drinker, but the 6 weeks not drinking has given me the opportunity to look at my non-social drinking habits (E.g. Bottle of wine or 2 when home alone) & make some adjustments.

Have to say I'm eating a lot more though so will have to get back on the booze before I get too fat (am semi-joking, I do find myself eating a lot more now but not as bad as when I stopped smoking & ballooned to 100KG)

I hope the hangover is not to bad, I sure do not miss those. I had quit drinking many times only to start again for whatever reason. After a long pattern of stopping and starting I learned it was hard to stay stopped, a friend would visit, I had a bad day, something good would happen to celebrate and I would make an exception to why I could have just one night. Once I got into this battle I enjoyed my drinking a lot less and never liked the idea of having to stop forever. 

Archived