Jump to content
BANGKOK
Mike Teavee

Sober October - What Now

Sober October - What Now  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I used to really knock it back and when I made the decision to shift a lot of weight around five years ago I left the beer and Jack Daniels behind and went on to red wine. Probably drink three or four units a week now and much better for it. Three stone lighter too.

 

Sclerosis is a horrible way to die. You bleed out of every orifice. My brother in law's father went that ways as did my niece's father in law. Neither considered themselves alcoholics as they didn't drink during the day. Didn’t stop them drinking a bottle of scotch between 6 pm and the time they went to bed though...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 9:31 PM, rott said:

A social drinker who goes months without a drink?? Strange definition of the phrase.

 

I am a social drinker who averages 30 - 40 units of alcohol weekly. Sometimes more sometimes less.

 

I have friends who drink 3 large Chang every day - approx 63 units a week. And have done for many years, including when it was 6.4abv - so then approx 80 units a week. All in our seventies. I have known others who died in their fifties after years of 5 bottles of scotch a week for years and stupid drunk by mid-afternoon most days.

 

I know which fits my definition of social drinker.

Oh do I remember when Chang was stronger! 4 large for 100 baht, before heading out to the pub.

 

I was thinking the same re social drinking. I guess some purple have little social life.

 

I don't drink and have a full social life, it's possible, although I used to think it was impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Oh do I remember when Chang was stronger! 4 large for 100 baht, before heading out to the pub.

 

I was thinking the same re social drinking. I guess some purple have little social life.

 

I don't drink and have a full social life, it's possible, although I used to think it was impossible.

So you equate drinking with having no social life? Interesting.

The Chang drinkers I mentioned, go out have their three beers and then go home and get on witheir lives.

I mentioned my own consumption to illustrate what I think being a moderate social drinker is. I too go out to bars and caffs for my drink, sitting at home with a beer has never been my idea of fun I have always been a pub man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rott said:

So you equate drinking with having no social life? Interesting.

No, I don't. You misunderstand me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

 

 

I was thinking the same re social drinking. I guess some purple have little social life.

 

 

Sorry but I understood that to mean social drinking equals no social life.

 

There used to be a Norwegian in our small town, decent person when sober but he would have at least four Chang before coming out, <deleted> headache then. You did well to kicl it I think he had cirrhosis, left that town, not sure what beacame of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rott said:

Sorry but I understood that to mean social drinking equals no social life.

 

There used to be a Norwegian in our small town, decent person when sober but he would have at least four Chang before coming out, <deleted> headache then. You did well to kicl it I think he had cirrhosis, left that town, not sure what beacame of him.

I was referring to the guy who said he was a social drinker but didn't drink for months. 

I think you think that social drinker means moderate drinker.

I think a social drinker is someone who can take it or leave it, i.e. of has visitors who don't drink, he can have fun without a drink, or if they did drink, he can have a couple and leave it there, without getting smashed.

Other drinkers like me, are totally unsociable! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 10:54 AM, rott said:

I assume sclerosis means cirrhosis.

A combination of predictive texting and not remembering how to spell it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update, had my first beers in 44 days last night & feel bloody awful (hangover) this morning.

 

Never my intention to become a non-drinker, but the 6 weeks not drinking has given me the opportunity to look at my non-social drinking habits (E.g. Bottle of wine or 2 when home alone) & make some adjustments.

 

Have to say I'm eating a lot more though so will have to get back on the booze before I get too fat (am semi-joking, I do find myself eating a lot more now but not as bad as when I stopped smoking & ballooned to 100KG)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Quick update, had my first beers in 44 days last night & feel bloody awful (hangover) this morning.

 

Never my intention to become a non-drinker, but the 6 weeks not drinking has given me the opportunity to look at my non-social drinking habits (E.g. Bottle of wine or 2 when home alone) & make some adjustments.

 

Have to say I'm eating a lot more though so will have to get back on the booze before I get too fat (am semi-joking, I do find myself eating a lot more now but not as bad as when I stopped smoking & ballooned to 100KG)

 

I hope the hangover is not to bad, I sure do not miss those. I had quit drinking many times only to start again for whatever reason. After a long pattern of stopping and starting I learned it was hard to stay stopped, a friend would visit, I had a bad day, something good would happen to celebrate and I would make an exception to why I could have just one night. Once I got into this battle I enjoyed my drinking a lot less and never liked the idea of having to stop forever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...