Thai govt poised to wipe out rabies by 2019

webfact

Govt poised to wipe out rabies by 2019

PNSOC611028001003401.jpg

BANGKOK, 29th October 2018 (NNT) - The Department of Livestock Development has laid out its plan to stop the spread of rabies and stray dog and cat populations by 2019. 

According to Director–General of the Department of Livestock Development Sorawit Thaneto, the crusade against rabies entails development of rabies vaccines to replace foreign imports, vaccination and sterilization of cats and dogs and progressive surveillance around areas where there are reports of rabies for at least six months. 

The Department of Livestock Development plans to make 2019 ‘the year of qualitative rabies control’. More volunteers will be recruited and trained by veterinarians in accordance with the 1992 rabies control act to vaccinate domestic animals against the deadly virus. 

The volunteers will carry out a four-month campaign across the country, from March to May next year. Local administrative bodies will undertake the census and registration of dogs and cats, with the goal of providing free vaccinations to at least 80% of the entire number of animals as required by the epidemic control guidelines. 

Mr. Sorawit said the Department of Livestock Development had declared July an auspicious month, at which time animal health care and welfare promotional activities would be held to honor HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun, and HRH Professor Dr. Princess Chulabhorn Walailak.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-29

Rabies lives in nature; in bats and other animals. I don't think rabies it can be completely eliminated.

Putting the stray dogs and cats in some sort of sanctuary is just the humane and sensible thing to do. The do gooders just feed the dogs and let them roam is not a good plan.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Govt poised to wipe out rabies by 2019

Got it sussed! They're planning to use a super-sized towel to wipe it out.

Why not? Makes as much sense as Director–General of the Department of Livestock Development planning "to make 2019 ‘the year of qualitative rabies control’."

‘the year of qualitative rabies control’ = photo opportunity waffle to bullshit any brainless viewers.

23 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

‘the year of qualitative rabies control’ = photo opportunity waffle to bullshit any brainless viewers.

No it isn't.

They get help from Holland this time who are collecting funds to help them since they can't afford it themselves.....

https://www.worldanimalprotection.nl/actueel/onze-hulp-bij-hondsdolheid-uitbraak-thailand

13 minutes ago, Thian said:

No it isn't.

They get help from Holland this time who are collecting funds to help them since they can't afford it themselves.....

https://www.worldanimalprotection.nl/actueel/onze-hulp-bij-hondsdolheid-uitbraak-thailand

Thanks for the details.

However, unsurprisingly I couldn't see any mention of that in the NNT article. I really do hope the Dutch involvement has some positive results, apart from a cash donation?

I remain sceptical, unless there is some senior foreign management involved in this 'plan'? Sadly we all know what happens to cash donations here.

Just now, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the details.

However, unsurprisingly I couldn't see any mention of that in the NNT article. I really do hope the Dutch involvement has some positive results, apart from a cash donation?

I remain sceptical, unless there is some senior foreign management involved in this 'plan'? Sadly we all know what happens to cash donations here.

Well the video's about rabies infested dogs are daily on tv in Holland, they ask for donations to stop it. All the Dutchies must know by now that Thailand (and some other 3rd world countries) is loaded with infected dogs. If they don't fix it this time with financial help the good reputation of being a safe holidaydestination goes down the drain.

It seems to be too expensive for the Thai to fix so they get help. Submarines are more important of course, no doubt 'bout that.

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think the closest they'll get to the middle ages here: 1200-1300 Lunchtime

Even soidogs now join the Thailand 4.0 time age.....they protect their country with camera's and that's a serious job, also tourists will profit from it.

1 minute ago, generealty said:

'Thailand cannot afford it " ?????. Thought they had a huge bank balance and as they have bought Chinese submarines surely they can afford inoculations and maybe culling of wild dogs, etc

Stop it! You're using ferang logic again!

wipe out rabies in dogs, sure.. how about all other animals that have it?

it will do nothing to prevent the overpopulation of those mangy (and some of them ferocious) pack of dogs everywhere.

even if they were to sterilize ALL the soi dogs today, it would take 10 years before most of them would pass away and by then there would have been other ones dumped from owners that would have taken their places and not sterilized

The only real first step is to get rid of the Soi dogs. Without doing that you are just pissing into the wind. 

Agree and this ‘might’ also slightly reduce the present carnage on the Thai roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Putting the stray dogs and cats in some sort of sanctuary is just the humane and sensible thing to do.

And just how big do you think this sanctuary would need to be? Put them down. Put all the ferrals (maybe not the Khao San Rd ferrals????) down then control the nxt lot.????

Archived