English overstayer to be kicked out of Thailand for ten years

webfact

2 hours ago, johnny49r said:

Years of corruption and lack of planning created these immigration issues and now the overreaction is in full swing. 

Those of us that live here legally and stay within the law will suffer the most. 

If you suffer it will be because of the mindset of a nationalistic government , not because of the odd few travellers overstaying.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

If he gets deported does he have to go back to the UK or can he take the cheapest flight to Cambodia ? ???? 

You do not have a choice, you are sent to the issuing country of your passport. Some people have dual citizenship but they entered Thailand on only one passport and it is that country that they are sent back to.

So much overeaction on here for what is a pretty minor incident. I have no problem with immigration rules but one has to wonder about the current zeal to round up overstayers.

If one is not actually a liability , ie indulging in criminal activity or draining resources / tax payers cash ( as may be the case in the UK ) then there is actually no upside in deporting him.

Oh "but we must play by the rules "some will say, or " its going to reflect badly on us law abiding folk " . Well I think such statements are delusional.

For a start who actually believes that rules in Thailand are anything other than a starting point for financial negotiation. Unless a grevious crime is commited ( and there are exceptions even with this ) a sum of money smoothes any difficulties.

As to consequencies for expats , it is amusing to consider that a couple of misguided backpackers would formulate the basis of government policy.

Some of you might be inclined to think a bit deeper on the subject , consider that sacrificing the odd patsie might just be covering a rather more sinister outlook.

9 hours ago, car720 said:

Thailand is telling us that they want to clean up their act.

The problem that I see is; what will they do when they have eventually kicked everyone out. 

The wannabe hippies and the old fart brigade and the wannabe intelligence services groupies. The sex tourists and the gunjah afficionados.  

Just what will they do for a dollar then?

" . . . when they have eventually kicked everyone out," you say? It seems they are not kicking out those who have sufficient finances and proper papers, are they? 

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

" . . . when they have eventually kicked everyone out," you say? It seems they are not kicking out those who have sufficient finances and proper papers, are they? 

Not yet........

15 minutes ago, fak119 said:

When will they finally raid in and around Pattaya? (And clean up these "Visa-Provider companies", that promise visas without funds at the same time?)

From what I've heard the 800k that get leant by these "visa agencies" to the applicant belongs to immigration...and that's why they never seem to get busted or affected  in any immigration crackdowns

Also heard immigration  own the photocopy and passport picture shops  so that's why they ask for pictures and multiple copies of everything even though they use their own camera to take your picture anyway.... Would make sense.....

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there any reason why the picture of his documents are published? Yes, he should not have overstayed, but that is no reason to publish these documents. Someone at Thai Visa should read and learn about GDPR.

GDPR does not extend to Thailand. :whistling:

Do think some of his personal details should have been redacted to stop Identification theft but there again who would want to impersonate him?

20 minutes ago, Basil B said:

GDPR does not extend to Thailand. :whistling:

Do think some of his personal details should have been redacted to stop Identification theft but there again who would want to impersonate him?

I don't think he's in much danger of impersonation ... ???? 

But also seems like they really threw the book at this guy for some reason...

Haven't usually seen the face/passports/names of other people who overstayed even longer  and some had their faces blurred out and allowed to wear a medical mask for the pictures

10 year ban for 8 months seems way stricter than usual

Also he maybe broke so  jail for awhile unless he can buy his way out of it + organise a uk ticket

Hope they don't forget to fine the Thai landlord for his part too.... ???? 

Anyone know what happened the German who overstayed 19 years? 

3 hours ago, Cuba said:

Not yet........

And why would you know this?  They are getting rid of people who break the law (and yes, overstaying is breaking the law). I don't see the big drama, back home they do exactly the same, if you don't have the proper papers or are over your visa you will be dealt with.  The same people who cry about Thailand not addressing issues are now complaining about them cleaning up things.  

3 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

From what I've heard the 800k that get leant by these "visa agencies" to the applicant belongs to immigration...and that's why they never seem to get busted or affected  in any immigration crackdowns

Also heard immigration  own the photocopy and passport picture shops  so that's why they ask for pictures and multiple copies of everything even though they use their own camera to take your picture anyway.... Would make sense.....

Did a bitter expat whisper this in your ear while you were both sitting in a bar crying into a beer about how unfair life is here?

3 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Did a bitter expat whisper this in your ear while you were both sitting in a bar crying into a beer about how unfair life is here?

I don't associate with bitter expats in real life but if i meet one I'll pm you and you will have a friend... ???? 

Thailands  rules is not unfair to me and never have been, if it was or became so i would just move on

Don't blame me if you're depressed 

With your situation or can't find 800k legally lol

2 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

I don't associate with bitter expats in real life but if i meet one I'll pm you and you will have a friend... ???? 

Thailands  rules is not unfair to me and never have been, if it was or became so i would just move on

Don't blame me if you're depressed 

With your situation or can't find 800k legally lol

I could not be less depressed and I am rather pleased that they do something about the "illegals". As mentioned, they make life a lot harder for the people who go through the efforts of doing things by the book.

However, the question remains, what do you base your accusation on that immigration owns the dodgy visa agents?  Just wondering as that sounds a pretty serious accusation.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there any reason why the picture of his documents are published? Yes, he should not have overstayed, but that is no reason to publish these documents. Someone at Thai Visa should read and learn about GDPR.

GDPR is an EU thing

16 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

It will leave:

- those gainfully employed with a valid work permit,

- those supporting effectively their Thai families,

- the tourists who spend 10000 to 20000 a day,

- etc.

and they will be welcome to the place but it will not be Siam and that's for sure.  It used to be a great place.

14 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

I’m sure everything will be fine; there’s still all the retired cardio-thoracic surgeons and emeritus professors of medieval history that currently live in Patong and Pattaya and comprise the backbone of the expatriate community; or not, as the case may be....

quite right.  I forgot about the rich old BS artists.

14 hours ago, Foexie said:

So you think that those overstayers are quality tourists?! If you have nothing to hide you follow the rules and you don't have any problems.

One would be hard pressed to call an overstayer a tourist.  As for people who follow the rules all their life, well......................

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you are here illegally you get kicked out, pretty easy to understand. Thailand's economy won't notice the difference.

It is the innovative head that discovers the places like Thailand and the main body that flood the place thereafter but it is the tailenders who remain when all else has been eaten.

8 hours ago, smotherb said:

I often wonder, why do we look up so much to the rich when they depend on the poor to show them the way.

Yes Thailand has very right to say who they want in their kingdom.. why people make unnecessary noises about a guy who breached the law of the land.. anyone irrespective of his nationality should be caught and banned for overstaying and for any wrong doing.. be a good guest and one can enjoy the hospitality.. show them your attitude then they’ll show you the door.. as simple as that.. 

17 hours ago, Arkady said:

The right wing of the Conservative Party and UKIP have successfully driven the country towards no-deal Brexit and hysterical racism and fear of all immigration, despite being able to poll only a tiny percentage of national votes. La May has allowed herself to be their tool.

I am a proud Brexiteer and this is nonsense. I am neither racist nor against immigration. I fully support immigration to the UK for people that the UK requires. We need dcotors and nurses , etc I accept that and I would suggest most people that voted Brexit support that view. Are there sometimes things done wrong in trying to deport doctors that really should be staying here - probably, But that is not what people voted for, that is just nonsensical clerics at work. 

19 hours ago, helloagain said:

Good but you should fine him as well and if he cant pay then jail time. I obey thailands rules so should he. No sympathy from me

Always nice to hear about someone who is poorer, unhappier and more foolish than oneself.

That's the depressing message of the quoted post and a number of others on this thread.

21 hours ago, car720 said:

Thailand is telling us that they want to clean up their act.

The problem that I see is; what will they do when they

Well looking at it on the bright side it’s on of the rare times you

dont see Me First.......     

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Yes Thailand has very right to say who they want in their kingdom.. why people make unnecessary noises about a guy who breached the law of the land.. anyone irrespective of his nationality should be caught and banned for overstaying and for any wrong doing.. be a good guest and one can enjoy the hospitality.. show them your attitude then they’ll show you the door.. as simple as that.. 

I totally agree with what you say. If a young gentleman (or lady) breaks law of the country where they are temporarily staying then they should expect punishment if caught. It amazes me how many people use this to have not only to have a big moan about this country and its laws.  I left England as I got fed up with the system  there. I settled in Thailand to live as I liked what I researched and have been very happy in the 18 years I have lived here.   It surprises me when I read something like this case how many people seem to be living such a miserable life here. Did they not learn in advance what to expect  when they moved here. Forget Brexit and Politics in England. Now you are guest in Thailand. Live a happy and peaceful life here and enjoy the sunshine.

14 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

Not true about one-day overstay. Use facts please.

OK - if you're caught - to be very clear given you seem to struggle with basic English, you are arrested and prosecuted for overstaying one day, it's a 5 year ban from Thailand. 

If you need some help understanding the graphic, please let me know, I do love helping the mentally changed. 

overstay.png

Archived