Patrons shocked as German teen collapses and dies in Krabi pub

webfact

Patrons shocked as German teen collapses and dies in Krabi pub

2PM.jpg

Pictures: Sanook

Thai media reported that a 19 year old German man collapsed in an Ao Nang pub at the weekend. 

Tourist and immigration police were called and Johannes Amin Leonard Stenger (name transliterated from Thai) was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

2PM1.jpg

Travelling companion Aaron Blanc, also 19, from Canada, said that he and the deceased had arrived in Krabi on Thursday. '

Mr Blanc said that his friend collapsed in the pub and after shocked patrons recovered their senses he was given CPR outside as the authorities were called. 

Sanook reported that police looked in the deceased man's room and found "many kinds of drugs". 

e_1540608096.jpg

These appeared to be pharmaceutical in nature.

The body was sent for autopsy to Region 8 in Surat Thani.

Police suspect a reaction to taking drugs with alcohol but no cause of death has yet been reported. 

They are checking CCTV taken from the area. 

The relevant embassy and relatives have been informed. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-29

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You go to any Pharmacy here in Thailand asking for something for a problem and they will give you a handful of different drugs because this is what Thais do when their sick , i am yet to see my wife just take one tablet for something its usually 2-4 and different types depending on what is wrong . Thai logic if one doesn't work the others will .

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Any I've heard a Thai doctor say that they always give 3 or 4 different tablets to patients because if they don't the patient will say they got poor service from the doctor, even ask for more tablets.

It's a puzzle.

I'd agree with that. They pay money, they want to see some physical result - in the form of medicine.

In the cases where it's true, they don't want to hear the doctor tell them their ailment will be cured naturally by their own body.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Police suspect a reaction to taking drugs with alcohol but no cause of death has yet been reported. 

And now lock up the pub operator allowing underaged consume alcohol on the premises :whistling:

29 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'd agree with that. They pay money, they want to see some physical result - in the form of medicine.

In the cases where it's true, they don't want to hear the doctor tell them their ailment will be cured naturally by their own body.

Or put all of that another way, 'my friends won't be impressed if I don't come back from the doctor with 3 or 4 or more little zip lock medicine bags with different coloured tablets, pills, capsules etc'. 

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

You go to any Pharmacy here in Thailand asking for something for a problem and they will give you a handful of different drugs because this is what Thais do when their sick , i am yet to see my wife just take one tablet for something its usually 2-4 and different types depending on what is wrong . Thai logic if one doesn't work the others will .

Yes and incredibly when asked what the pharmacist gave them, they don't know. Just eat. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So I wonder if this is just mainly overzealous reporting?

Not at all , just reported that various drugs were found in his room, which they were .

I do think that you are just looking for something to complain  about

At this stage there is no evidence in any direction to indicate what he died of.

The meds found in his room do not look sinister or illicit. That doesn't mean he might not have also taken something else, but neither does it suggest that he did. At this stage all possibilities are open. While one does naturally think overdose when young people die suddenly, this does sometimes happen from natural causes - cardiac arrythmias, burst aneurysms etc.

As we all know Thai police tend to voice preliminary theories  publicly. Bad form IMO.

Let us all be sensitive in this thread. His death will have been a complete shock to his family and they may be searching the web for answers and come across this thread.

If they do - I recommend if possible bringing the body back to Germany for autopsy there, quality of autopsy reports here tends not to be very good.

Some medications, even OTC can have contradictions when used in combination with other drugs, and in some cases can be fatal particularly when consumed with a few alcoholic drinks or he upped the recommend dosage.. 

I wonder whether the cocktail of drugs were prescribed by a doctor or recommended by a pharmacist? 

And if these led to his death.. Too young at 19 yrs to suddenly die.. RIP.. 

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

My Australian doctor called this a scattergun approach. Where I had used 4 pills for 6 months to cure a rash, he prescribed penicillin and the rash was gone in a week. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Any I've heard a Thai doctor say that they always give 3 or 4 different tablets to patients because if they don't the patient will say they got poor service from the doctor, even ask for more tablets.

It's a puzzle.

The doctor is lying. I have thai doctor friends and they are TOLD by the hospital management to prescribe as much as they can because medicine is a huge money maker for the hospitals here. The mark up is extreme and it's easy money for the hospitals as the patients are too afraid to reject the pills. 

13 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

The doctor is lying. I have thai doctor friends and they are TOLD by the hospital management to prescribe as much as they can because medicine is a huge money maker for the hospitals here. The mark up is extreme and it's easy money for the hospitals as the patients are too afraid to reject the pills. 

Your post is nonsense, medicine is a huge money maker for hospitals here?

Absolute nonsense, just back 1 hour ago from the hospital, with medicine for my UTI.

28 pills ( ofoxacin ) bill 142 baht, so how the hell are the hospital making money out of that?

Porters lifted me on a gurney, nurse took a sample of my urine, taken away and tested, doctor prescribed pills porters lifted me back in the pickup.

Now before anybody starts telling me i am wrong, i have the bill in my hand, just need to find out how i can get that on here, if i can i will.

In the thirteen plus years my wife and I lived in Chiang Mai we obviously had our fair share of visits to the hospital and various clinics.  I used to turn a blind eye to the ludicrous amount of drugs that were prescribed to my wife every time.  It was only after our son was born and he was prescribed medication that I questioned what it was and checked everything with a paediatric doctor friend of mine in the UK.  Less that one in five were suitable and much to my wife's initial consternation I would bin the ones that were wrongly prescribed.  Eventually she saw the light and ended up binning most of the drugs she was prescribed too.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And now lock up the pub operator allowing underaged consume alcohol on the premises :whistling:

I dont know the law in thailand but if 19 is underaged i think they can lock up every bar owner and operator in thailand i think your information is a bit harsh

Archived