Procedure for cancelling Non 'B' visa extension and work permit

Sorry, if this has been answered before, but what is the current procedure for cancelling a Non 'B' visa extension and work permit, when quitting a job and, temporarily, leaving the country, with the intention to seek new employment after returning from abroad:

1. Who is obliged to cancel the visa extension, and the work permit; the employer or the employee?

2. If one party, who is obliged to cancel either, fails to do so, how can the other party (e.g. employee) cancel the permits?

3. How, as the employee, (in case of 2.) can I cancel either permit?

If you are on axtension of stay and leave without getting a re-entry permit then your extension will be cancelled anyway.

If your extension is cancelled then that means your WP has no reason to be valid.

You could hand in your work permit to the labour department and then fly out the next day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

1. Who is obliged to cancel the visa extension, and the work permit; the employer or the employee?

Extension — You.

Work permit — You or employer.

2. If one party, who is obliged to cancel either, fails to do so, how can the other party (e.g. employee) cancel the permits?

If neither you or your employer do not cancel the work permit you might have a problem getting another in the future until it’s retrospectively cancelled.

3. How, as the employee, (in case of 2.) can I cancel either permit?

You cancel the work permit at the labour office that issued it.

You cancel the extension by taking a letter to Immigration from your employer confirming the date your job is ending.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:11 PM, overherebc said:

If you are on axtension of stay and leave without getting a re-entry permit then your extension will be cancelled anyway.

If your extension is cancelled then that means your WP has no reason to be valid.

You could hand in your work permit to the labour department and then fly out the next day.

Thanks. Sounds good as a safe exit. I figured the extension part. Will hand in the work permit just before my overseas trip. Hope, I will be fine when applying later for a new WP.

23 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thanks. Sounds good as a safe exit. I figured the extension part. Will hand in the work permit just before my overseas trip. Hope, I will be fine when applying later for a new WP.

If you are on good terms with your employer then you can ask them for a letter stating your final day of employment and work out timings for flying out straight after. As Evg says they can also cancel your WP. The letter can reflect that point as well.

In the past it has happened, not often, people have been fined, not a big fine, when applying for a new WP if the old one wasn't cancelled.