Affirmation of Marital Status for British Nationals

ajarnrose

Just to follow on from The Fat Controller, if you have been divorced or widowed then the paperwork has to be legalised at the FCO and The Royal Thai Embassy in London. This will be necessary for the MFA in Bangkok. New requirement as of June 2018. 

Do not know if you can get it done in the UK.

My experience a few weeks ago I attended The British Embassy in Bangkok wanting an affirmation of Marital Status. 

I had completed the On-Line questionnaire that you had to take along to The Embassy.

I fell at the first hurdle. The Decree Absolute I produced I was told was not an original. Also, the questionnaire I had completed was not exactly 1 million percent correct. One of my mistakes was that I had not typed an apostrophe in the word "mother's. 

So had to return to Jomtien. Then I applied On Line to a company in Birmingham, UK, to supply me with Decree Absolute which was confirmed by them to be a copy of the original. I knew the number of the Decree Absolute and the date of issue so it ONLY COST ME £230. !!!!!!!! If you do not know those details it will cost you more.

4 weeks later I received that. I have now made an appointment again and will go to the British Embassy, BKK on the 13th of November. I have been advised if I manage to jump over that hurdle then I should go directly to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK and get The important piece of paper that I hope to get at the British Embassy TRANSLATED BY THEM. WHY because a friend had it translated elsewhere and it was not 1 million percent perfect.!!!!!!.

As you can see nothing is easy here. Maybe it is an omen for me not to marry my Good Lady, but I will keep on jumping the hurdles until I get passed the finishing Line not sure if that will be this year or next!!!

13 hours ago, The Names Bond said:

My experience a few weeks ago I attended The British Embassy in Bangkok wanting an affirmation of Marital Status. 

I had completed the On-Line questionnaire that you had to take along to The Embassy.

I fell at the first hurdle. The Decree Absolute I produced I was told was not an original. Also, the questionnaire I had completed was not exactly 1 million percent correct. One of my mistakes was that I had not typed an apostrophe in the word "mother's. 

So had to return to Jomtien. Then I applied On Line to a company in Birmingham, UK, to supply me with Decree Absolute which was confirmed by them to be a copy of the original. I knew the number of the Decree Absolute and the date of issue so it ONLY COST ME £230. !!!!!!!! If you do not know those details it will cost you more.

4 weeks later I received that. I have now made an appointment again and will go to the British Embassy, BKK on the 13th of November. I have been advised if I manage to jump over that hurdle then I should go directly to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK and get The important piece of paper that I hope to get at the British Embassy TRANSLATED BY THEM. WHY because a friend had it translated elsewhere and it was not 1 million percent perfect.!!!!!!.

As you can see nothing is easy here. Maybe it is an omen for me not to marry my Good Lady, but I will keep on jumping the hurdles until I get passed the finishing Line not sure if that will be this year or next!!!

I hate to say this but you have not finished jumping over the hurdles. The decree absolute needs legalising in the UK for the MFA. The document needs to go FCO Milton Keynes for notarising with an Apostille then has to go to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for legalising.  I have just gone through all of this for a Death Certificate!! This is an unfortunate requirement as of June 2018. Only then can you make the appointments for the British Embassy and the MFA. Looking at around £70 in costs. Contact me for more info if required.  

I hate to say this but you have not finished jumping over the hurdles. The decree absolute needs legalising in the UK for the MFA. The document needs to go FCO Milton Keynes for notarising with an Apostille then has to go to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for legalising.  I have just gone through all of this for a Death Certificate!! This is an unfortunate requirement as of June 2018. Only then can you make the appointments for the British Embassy and the MFA. Looking at around £70 in costs. Contact me for more info if required.  
Try to pm won't allow me could you see if you could pm me all the info regarding this as iam in same position dont have original decree info from embassy confusing. Info like can this all be done via post internet. Validity of doc if any ect thanks 8n advance dirtybiry

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You need this document, with an embassy stamp.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

Then you need it translated to Thai and get the translation affirmed by MFA ( ministry of foreign affairs )

Good translation companies can get the MFA affirmation done for a fee.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:48 PM, The Names Bond said:

The MFA has a list of companies authorized to do translations.

Apparently your friend was not on the list.

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You need this document, with an embassy stamp.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

Then you need it translated to Thai and get the translation affirmed by MFA ( ministry of foreign affairs )

Good translation companies can get the MFA affirmation done for a fee.

You are correct but if you were divorced or widowed in the UK, those are the documents that have to be "legalised" in the UK.  

Following on from my previous post, #9, this is a new requirement (June 2018) to proof authenticity of documents like divorce papers, death certificates, degrees etc that originated from the UK. These legalised papers are the ones required by the MFA here in Thailand. It is a pain in the proverbial and requires help from friends or family in the UK. If anyone needs more info on this procedure then please PM me and I will be glad to help.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:48 PM, The Names Bond said:

I should go directly to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK and get The important piece of paper that I hope to get at the British Embassy TRANSLATED BY THEM. WHY because a friend had it translated elsewhere and it was not 1 million percent perfect.!!!!!!.

You have that wrong, the MFA do not do the translation you have to get that done elsewhere and then they 'legalise' the translation as required by the Amphur.

My translation wasn't quite right and they sent me to a translator across the road to get it done again.

21 hours ago, worrab said:

Then I applied On Line to a company in Birmingham, UK, to supply me with Decree Absolute which was confirmed by them to be a copy of the original. I knew the number of the Decree Absolute and the date of issue so it ONLY COST ME £230. !!!!!!!! If you do not know those details it will cost you more.

If you had gone to www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order the cost would have been £10 then include your postage costs!! 

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You have that wrong, the MFA do not do the translation you have to get that done elsewhere and then they 'legalise' the translation as required by the Amphur.

My translation wasn't quite right and they sent me to a translator across the road to get it done again.

There is a translation office within the MFA building but it is just a normal private business and is not affiliated to the MFA in any way. I expect this is what the people were referring to in an earlier post.

If you are going to use this office then you have already made the journey to the building and are not saving anything by doing so.

Much easier to use one of the many translation offices near to the Embassies and pay a few baht for them to get the documents stamped and posted back. Also if they need altering then that will be done automatically as well at no further cost or inconvenience.

HL

2 hours ago, happylarry said:

There is a translation office within the MFA building but it is just a normal private business and is not affiliated to the MFA in any way. I expect this is what the people were referring to in an earlier post.

If you are going to use this office then you have already made the journey to the building and are not saving anything by doing so.

Much easier to use one of the many translation offices near to the Embassies and pay a few baht for them to get the documents stamped and posted back. Also if they need altering then that will be done automatically as well at no further cost or inconvenience.

HL

If you have been to the Embassy first thing, 08.00, for the Affirmation of Marriage etc, then the options are either to have the translations done near Wireless Road or to get a taxi to the MFA, as the rush hour as such is over, and have them done there. Then there is a chance of getting the paperwork in on Floor 3 and a date for when they will be returned, normally 2 days. So all will be done in a day, theoretically.  If you want the Express 1 day Service then you need to be at the MFA first thing as papers have to be in by 09.30 so this will become a 2 day exercise as you cannot do the Embassy, translations and be at MFA for the 09.30 deadline. 

I have had a request to provide the information regarding "legalising" documents as required by the MFA for UK citizens, divorce papers, death certificates, degrees etc. Here goes.

1. Guidance from www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand and scroll to Services provided elsewhere and click on Three Steps of Legalising a Signature or Seal.( https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf) Basically everything can be done online for this piece and it is handy if you have a printer. The document you need legalising and the receipt you printed from the FCO go into an A4 envelope. Costs £30 + £5.50 for courier for next stage.

2. In that A4 envelope you put another A4 envelope addressed to The Royal Thai Embassy along with a form you print off and fill in by hand, another copy of the document and a photocopy of your passport. Post these to the FCO in Milton Keynes. Now comes the complicated bit!!

3. You need either family or friends to send the Thai Embassy in London a Postal Cheque for £10 or cash. Unfortunately, and I am using their words here as I phoned them, they are low tech there and do not have a system to use cards. More info at http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/home and scroll to Legalisation.

4. You need to liaise with the Thai Embassy by email to let them know of the arrangements you are making, who is making the payment and, as the courier firm will let you know when they have picked up from the FCO, the delivery day to the Embassy.

5. Your family or friend needs to send a stamped and self addressed A4 envelope with the payment as the Thai Embassy will only return documents to the UK and you cannot use a Courier (DHL, Fedex etc) to collect and return to Thailand.

6. These very good family members of friends can then either post back or courier the documents back to you in Thailand. I had mine couriered back in 4 days by DHL at a cost of around £40 and a very helpful sister!!

7. This is the document that the MFA will want with the Apostille from the FCO and stamp from The Royal Thai Embassy on the back. Not required by the Embassy.

Hope this helps and as I said, it is a convoluted process but I managed and it took about 3 weeks altogether. 

1 minute ago, dirtybirty said:

Hi worrab thank you very much will they accept a copy of my decree absolute from the court my divorce was issued as i dont have the original

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I As it will be a photocopy then the following applies as from https://www.get-document-legalised.service.gov.uk/check-documents-eligible

Your decree absolute must be certified by a solicitor or notary public in the UK.

When the solicitor or notary public signs the document, they must:

• have a valid practising certificate
  • sign the document in the UK
  • state the action they have taken eg witnessed, certified a copy, confirmed as original
  • use their personal signature, not a company signature
  • include the date of certification
  • include their name and company address

The solicitor or notary public’s signature must be an original, hand-written signature. We can't accept a photocopy or scan of a signature.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, The Names Bond said:

Just been reading your post regarding attended The British Embassy in Bangkok wanting an affirmation of Marital Status on the 13th Nov.

How did it go ?, the reason I'm asking is that I'm in the same boat as you was.

I have a copy from the court in the UK of my The Decree Absolute its not the original but a copy.

The copy been signed and certified by a solicitor back in the UK.

Will I have any problem with the British Embassy in Bangkok ?, or will I have to sent my Decree Absolut to the FCO in Milton Keynes ?

12 hours ago, dayo202 said:

Just been reading your post regarding attended The British Embassy in Bangkok wanting an affirmation of Marital Status on the 13th Nov.

How did it go ?, the reason I'm asking is that I'm in the same boat as you was.

I have a copy from the court in the UK of my The Decree Absolute its not the original but a copy.

The copy been signed and certified by a solicitor back in the UK.

Will I have any problem with the British Embassy in Bangkok ?, or will I have to sent my Decree Absolut to the FCO in Milton Keynes ?

Personally I would give them a ring first. They will be able to let you know if this document will be acceptable or not. Having spoken to them by phone before, they are very helpful and will put you on the right track. You need to speak to Consular Services when you go through the menu. The number is 02 305 8333. 

1 hour ago, silverdales said:

So once the document comes back from the Thai embassy once having been sent from the FCO in MK, I can once go straight to the Thai ministry of foreign affairs in Chaaengwattana getting it translated there and submitted..no need to visit the British embassy in BKK?

No. You will need to visit the Embassy first to get their official stamps before going to the MFA. 

Oh ok i understand, I wish I could work out how to make an appointment.  

I've tried the 2 different links and only 2 slots show up in Feb over the next 6 months. I tried emailing asking for help but they just directed me back to the web page saying I needed to make an appointment. They didn't understand my  question so I replied and they said I need a lawyer. I see many people gave difficulty making an appointment.

23 hours ago, silverdales said:

Oh ok i understand, I wish I could work out how to make an appointment.  

I've tried the 2 different links and only 2 slots show up in Feb over the next 6 months. I tried emailing asking for help but they just directed me back to the web page saying I needed to make an appointment. They didn't understand my  question so I replied and they said I need a lawyer. I see many people gave difficulty making an appointment.

The bookings for appointments are normally released on a Mon or Tues and this will only be for about 6-8 weeks in advance. You cannot make a booking for 6 months time for instance. I made a booking in Oct for an appointment at the end of Nov. Many people do not understand this is how it all works I'm afraid. Keep checking in Jan for more appointments in Feb as well.

Archived