BANGKOK
ajarnrose

Affirmation of Marital Status for British Nationals

Can I get this done in the UK.

To marry my Thai partner in Thailand..

Or will this need to be done in Bangkok?

Thankyou

Just to follow on from The Fat Controller, if you have been divorced or widowed then the paperwork has to be legalised at the FCO and The Royal Thai Embassy in London. This will be necessary for the MFA in Bangkok. New requirement as of June 2018. 

Do not know if you can get it done in the UK.

My experience a few weeks ago I attended The British Embassy in Bangkok wanting an affirmation of Marital Status. 

I had completed the On-Line questionnaire that you had to take along to The Embassy.

I fell at the first hurdle. The Decree Absolute I produced I was told was not an original. Also, the questionnaire I had completed was not exactly 1 million percent correct. One of my mistakes was that I had not typed an apostrophe in the word "mother's. 

So had to return to Jomtien. Then I applied On Line to a company in Birmingham, UK, to supply me with Decree Absolute which was confirmed by them to be a copy of the original. I knew the number of the Decree Absolute and the date of issue so it ONLY COST ME £230. !!!!!!!! If you do not know those details it will cost you more.

4 weeks later I received that. I have now made an appointment again and will go to the British Embassy, BKK on the 13th of November. I have been advised if I manage to jump over that hurdle then I should go directly to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK and get The important piece of paper that I hope to get at the British Embassy TRANSLATED BY THEM. WHY because a friend had it translated elsewhere and it was not 1 million percent perfect.!!!!!!.

As you can see nothing is easy here. Maybe it is an omen for me not to marry my Good Lady, but I will keep on jumping the hurdles until I get passed the finishing Line not sure if that will be this year or next!!!

13 hours ago, The Names Bond said:

Do not know if you can get it done in the UK.

My experience a few weeks ago I attended The British Embassy in Bangkok wanting an affirmation of Marital Status. 

I had completed the On-Line questionnaire that you had to take along to The Embassy.

I fell at the first hurdle. The Decree Absolute I produced I was told was not an original. Also, the questionnaire I had completed was not exactly 1 million percent correct. One of my mistakes was that I had not typed an apostrophe in the word "mother's. 

So had to return to Jomtien. Then I applied On Line to a company in Birmingham, UK, to supply me with Decree Absolute which was confirmed by them to be a copy of the original. I knew the number of the Decree Absolute and the date of issue so it ONLY COST ME £230. !!!!!!!! If you do not know those details it will cost you more.

4 weeks later I received that. I have now made an appointment again and will go to the British Embassy, BKK on the 13th of November. I have been advised if I manage to jump over that hurdle then I should go directly to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK and get The important piece of paper that I hope to get at the British Embassy TRANSLATED BY THEM. WHY because a friend had it translated elsewhere and it was not 1 million percent perfect.!!!!!!.

As you can see nothing is easy here. Maybe it is an omen for me not to marry my Good Lady, but I will keep on jumping the hurdles until I get passed the finishing Line not sure if that will be this year or next!!!

I hate to say this but you have not finished jumping over the hurdles. The decree absolute needs legalising in the UK for the MFA. The document needs to go FCO Milton Keynes for notarising with an Apostille then has to go to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for legalising.  I have just gone through all of this for a Death Certificate!! This is an unfortunate requirement as of June 2018. Only then can you make the appointments for the British Embassy and the MFA. Looking at around £70 in costs. Contact me for more info if required.  

I hate to say this but you have not finished jumping over the hurdles. The decree absolute needs legalising in the UK for the MFA. The document needs to go FCO Milton Keynes for notarising with an Apostille then has to go to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for legalising.  I have just gone through all of this for a Death Certificate!! This is an unfortunate requirement as of June 2018. Only then can you make the appointments for the British Embassy and the MFA. Looking at around £70 in costs. Contact me for more info if required.  
Try to pm won't allow me could you see if you could pm me all the info regarding this as iam in same position dont have original decree info from embassy confusing. Info like can this all be done via post internet. Validity of doc if any ect thanks 8n advance dirtybiry

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You need this document, with an embassy stamp.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

Then you need it translated to Thai and get the translation affirmed by MFA ( ministry of foreign affairs )

Good translation companies can get the MFA affirmation done for a fee.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 10:48 PM, The Names Bond said:

The MFA has a list of companies authorized to do translations.

Apparently your friend was not on the list.

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You need this document, with an embassy stamp.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

Then you need it translated to Thai and get the translation affirmed by MFA ( ministry of foreign affairs )

Good translation companies can get the MFA affirmation done for a fee.

You are correct but if you were divorced or widowed in the UK, those are the documents that have to be "legalised" in the UK.  

Following on from my previous post, #9, this is a new requirement (June 2018) to proof authenticity of documents like divorce papers, death certificates, degrees etc that originated from the UK. These legalised papers are the ones required by the MFA here in Thailand. It is a pain in the proverbial and requires help from friends or family in the UK. If anyone needs more info on this procedure then please PM me and I will be glad to help.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:48 PM, The Names Bond said:

I should go directly to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK and get The important piece of paper that I hope to get at the British Embassy TRANSLATED BY THEM. WHY because a friend had it translated elsewhere and it was not 1 million percent perfect.!!!!!!.

You have that wrong, the MFA do not do the translation you have to get that done elsewhere and then they 'legalise' the translation as required by the Amphur.

My translation wasn't quite right and they sent me to a translator across the road to get it done again.

Mine is all in English already , oh thats right we got married in the UK .😀 sorry in one of those silly moods .

21 hours ago, worrab said:

Then I applied On Line to a company in Birmingham, UK, to supply me with Decree Absolute which was confirmed by them to be a copy of the original. I knew the number of the Decree Absolute and the date of issue so it ONLY COST ME £230. !!!!!!!! If you do not know those details it will cost you more.

If you had gone to www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order the cost would have been £10 then include your postage costs!! 

• Like 1