Not again! Jail threat to foreign graffiti artists at Chiang Mai cave

webfact

Not again! Jail threat to foreign graffiti artists at Chiang Mai cave

1PM.jpg

Chiang Mai authorities are furious that a cave has been ruined by graffiti from foreign tourists.

They have threatened to prosecute and seek jail terms for anyone who is caught. 

The latest damage comes to Thailand's nature after teens from Liverpool and Canada spray-painted a historic wall in the northern Thai city. 

CM-DSC_002-1-696x464.jpg

Chiang Mai News reported that foreign names were inscribed on a cave at the Mok Fa waterfall in the beautiful Doi Suthep - Pui national park. 

The park authorities message was clear and unequivocal to tourists - "Don't or you'll be jailed". 

Though they admitted that a lack of staff meant they would find it hard to find the miscreants.

Names such as "Tom", "Sian", "Louise" and "Sam" were clearly visible along with other scrawls. 

Last week the Liverpool man attempted to write the word "scouser" at the Tha Pae gate. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-30

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put CCTV on all such sites, all over the country.

The young teenate and post teenage brainless turds from the west (or even perhaps from Thailand) need close monitoring and appropriate severe punishment if caught, as that is the only language these generations can understand.

I can show you a number of places in Chiang Mai that are predominately tagged by Thais.  This is not a farang only issue although the media is framing this a exactly that.  But how often do we hear of a BIB manhunt for Thai graffiti artists in the media?  I can't think of any, but correct me if I'm off base.

If Thailand wished to be proactive, they would pass out a brochure listing all the stupid things that farangs and foreigners often do while visiting that will get them into trouble as well as spelling out the fines and jail times for each - and then have each passenger sign that they understand before they disembark their plane. 

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The young teenate and post teenage brainless turds from the west (or even perhaps from Thailand) need close monitoring and appropriate severe punishment if caught, as that is the only language these generations can understand.

Nothing new under the sun...... This was done to a cave in Lascaux in France..... 20,000 years ago.

Lascaux_painting.jpg

16 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

And  shot, hung drawn and quartered and then fed to dogs/ crocodiles , their ashes thrown down the toilet.

Id  be asking if Thai graffiti dawbers receive the same sentence as  Thai Graffiti is EVERYWHERE

Where?

While I dont condone criminal damage of any description, It would be nice to see the punishment fit the crime. 10 years in prison is the maximum for this I believe, while murderers can often get much less. Plus foreigners do seem to get singled out for it, when there is a lot of it in Thai all over the place.

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Punishment should fit the crime, simple as that, make them pay to have it cleaned, fine them and move on. It's just some graffiti after all, nobody is hurt.

Such a big deal about such small things, the news is so tedious and so anti foreigner it is scary. There is graffiti by locals everywhere and I have never seen it hit the news, not ever. when do we ever see some real arrests for serious crime or arrests for the clamp down on corruption, or the solving of murders. Instead we see anti foreign sentiment coming to the election season, feeding the xenophobic nation with populist policies of how they are springing into action tackling those "terrible" foreigners. Sorry, but people like you lap it up and contribute to it. Very sad,,, rant over...

I thought foreigners dont really go to national parks because of racist pricing. Maybe im wrong and im sorry to say that many thais graffiti in english. My ex loved to draw graphitti, tattos and such. She always tagged in english. She wasnt a graphitti artist spraying up the place but deep in all arty farty stuff...

Looks like it was scratched on and a bit of creative covering up will do until it fades with time.  Yes they were stupid morons for doing it but there are an awful lot of stupid morons out there.  Not so much an intentional act of vandalism, rather a pathetic attempt to literally leave their mark. 

A suitable fine and a ban from returning to Thailand for a few years should be a sufficient price for these idiots to pay.

36 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So, there are plenty of thieves and criminals and fraudsters walking free, and the concern is about some tourists writing names on a rock..ok.. the mind boggles.

But - it's a 1.8 billion year old "Thai rock" that was disfigured!.  The horror!

Its sad this Graffiti business, I've lived in South East Asia for 26 years (residing in Vientiane), now generally speaking "Ouote" ... Generally Speaking, there is very little Graffiti painted around Asia and Thailand, yeah, some ... but a fraction what you see in Western Countries, along with the Theft of Vehicles, they are stolen in Thailand for financial gain, in other Countries, Australia in particular, they are stolen for joy rides, burning out the tires, blowing up the motors and finally dumped in a canal or river, trashing somebodies office for no reason doesn't 'generally' happen here, when a mate of mine had his office in Soi 24 trashed, immediately all his associates said" Ohhh Ohhh who has he upset, .... he claimed nobody ... then it came out that he won a small claims case in court about a month ago against a Thai Business man .... we all sighed ... "arrhh ... that was it ... we were worried that the trait's of the white man had come to Bangkok" !

24 minutes ago, vogie said:

Have they caught the offenders yet?

As I understand it 'Big Joke' has commandeered the entire first class cabin of a Thai Air A380 and will be taking his team over to France as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

I can show you a number of places in Chiang Mai that are predominately tagged by Thais.  This is not a farang only issue although the media is framing this a exactly that.  But how often do we hear of a BIB manhunt for Thai graffiti artists in the media?  I can't think of any, but correct me if I'm off base.

If Thailand wished to be proactive, they would pass out a brochure listing all the stupid things that farangs and foreigners often do while visiting that will get them into trouble as well as spelling out the fines and jail times for each - and then have each passenger sign that they understand before they disembark their plane. 

Exactly never hear of Thais doing wrong! As you say there's graffiti all over Chiang Mai and yes it lowers the tone of the place and again it's not just farangs!????

24 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Its sad this Graffiti business, I've lived in South East Asia for 26 years (residing in Vientiane), now generally speaking "Ouote" ... Generally Speaking, there is very little Graffiti painted around Asia and Thailand, yeah, some ... but a fraction what you see in Western Countries, along with the Theft of Vehicles, they are stolen in Thailand for financial gain, in other Countries, Australia in particular, they are stolen for joy rides, burning out the tires, blowing up the motors and finally dumped in a canal or river, trashing somebodies office for no reason doesn't 'generally' happen here, when a mate of mine had his office in Soi 24 trashed, immediately all his associates said" Ohhh Ohhh who has he upset, .... he claimed nobody ... then it came out that he won a small claims case in court about a month ago against a Thai Business man .... we all sighed ... "arrhh ... that was it ... we were worried that the trait's of the white man had come to Bangkok" !

Out of interest, how did you manage to stay in Vientiane? I’d like to do that, I really liked the place.

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

People who do this should be caught, and given the maximum sentence possible, then banned for life. 

Wow tough justice !

I wonder what you would propose for those who seize the country at gunpoint , restrict human rights , cancel elections etc ?

Archived