Not again! Jail threat to foreign graffiti artists at Chiang Mai cave

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

People who do this should be caught, and given the maximum sentence possible, then banned for life. 

I will ban all the old fellah that have nothing better to do than rant about everything behind a keyboard...

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Put CCTV on all such sites, all over the country.

"Put CCTV on all such sites, all over the country."
Yes lots of power supplies to power the CCTV's in these remote areas with no power available etc.  Maybe you want to install solar panels in the darkened caves and we can have water mill powered CCTVs at the waterfalls etc/etc and of course all the people to monitor and maintain the stuff.

The phrase "sledgehammers to crack nuts" (yours?) comes to mind.

5 hours ago, PREM-R said:

Nothing new under the sun...... This was done to a cave in Lascaux in France..... 20,000 years ago.

Lascaux_painting.jpg

Oh boy - if that is your limit of comparison then you are as bad as the pillo**s that spray graffiti today. Back then they didn't have FB et al knob head. That is all they had and people in their millions go to admire it. A really un-smart comment. Go back to the Z gen sites

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While I dont condone criminal damage of any description, It would be nice to see the punishment fit the crime. 10 years in prison is the maximum for this I believe, while murderers can often get much less. Plus foreigners do seem to get singled out for it, when there is a lot of it in Thai all over the place.

Didn't TV/Nation correspondent "rooster59" discuss this misconception (Thai v Farang punishment) in his latest Saturday weekly posting where he takes a contrary view?

5 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

I can show you a number of places in Chiang Mai that are predominately tagged by Thais.  This is not a farang only issue although the media is framing this a exactly that.  But how often do we hear of a BIB manhunt for Thai graffiti artists in the media?  I can't think of any, but correct me if I'm off base.

If Thailand wished to be proactive, they would pass out a brochure listing all the stupid things that farangs and foreigners often do while visiting that will get them into trouble as well as spelling out the fines and jail times for each - and then have each passenger sign that they understand before they disembark their plane. 

Unfortunately a high percentage of the miscreants that come to Thailand have below average education & capacity to read & understand... they firmly believe that the things they can do in their home countries are ok wherever they are in the world.... culture is not a word that registers in their vocabulary !

5 hours ago, PREM-R said:

Nothing new under the sun...... This was done to a cave in Lascaux in France..... 20,000 years ago.

Lascaux_painting.jpg

And did the guy do time? Must have been some sh!t good crayons that couldn't have been cleaned off in 20 thousand years! Our technology sucks!

5 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Punishment should fit the crime, simple as that, make them pay to have it cleaned, fine them and move on. It's just some graffiti after all, nobody is hurt.

Such a big deal about such small things, the news is so tedious and so anti foreigner it is scary. There is graffiti by locals everywhere and I have never seen it hit the news, not ever. when do we ever see some real arrests for serious crime or arrests for the clamp down on corruption, or the solving of murders. Instead we see anti foreign sentiment coming to the election season, feeding the xenophobic nation with populist policies of how they are springing into action tackling those "terrible" foreigners. Sorry, but people like you lap it up and contribute to it. Very sad,,, rant over...

Thais themselves may write graffiti but this is their country. Foreigners are basically guests of the country and it is disrespectful to the country and people if you write graffiti. Would you let your house guests scrawl on your wall ? I cannot understand the mentality of some of the TV members who spew nonsense ! Speak volumes about their upbringing and characters... 

2 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Thais themselves may write graffiti but this is their country. Foreigners are basically guests of the country and it is disrespectful to the country and people if you write graffiti. Would you let your house guests scrawl on your wall ? I cannot understand the mentality of some of the TV members who spew nonsense ! Speak volumes about their upbringing and characters... 

Please provide proof that foreigners have done this graffiti.  I can't imagine many go to that dual priced waterfall.

4 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

I see many comments saying that the government is singling out foreigners, but not prosecute their own people.

I said it before, though it is not right that Thais do it as well, it is in the end THEIR country. I would never punish my children as hard as other children if they did something to my house. These foreigners come to visit this country and think they can do whatever they like. I hope the authorities will get them and make an example for those imbeciles who think to get away with it.

I fully agree with your opinion. Foreigners as guests should not stoop so low as to bite the hand that feed them . Respect the people and their culture regardless agreeable or not . After all nobody put a gun to your head to force you to come. 

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Ever heard the expression ' When in Rome ' ? I thoroughly dislike graffiti but if the locals dont set an example , why should visitors be expected to do better.

Thailand is becoming a giant rubbish tip , many of its inhabitants seemingly care nothing for their environment , yet it is foreigners that are singled out for blame.

Its not right and its not helpfull, those living in glass houses should not throw stones !

There are all types of Thais. Vast majority do not write graffiti . Two wrongs does not make a right. 

7 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

I can show you a number of places in Chiang Mai that are predominately tagged by Thais.  This is not a farang only issue although the media is framing this a exactly that.  But how often do we hear of a BIB manhunt for Thai graffiti artists in the media?  I can't think of any, but correct me if I'm off base.

If Thailand wished to be proactive, they would pass out a brochure listing all the stupid things that farangs and foreigners often do while visiting that will get them into trouble as well as spelling out the fines and jail times for each - and then have each passenger sign that they understand before they disembark their plane. 

Farangs and Foreigners?

15 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, there are plenty of thieves and criminals and fraudsters walking free, and the concern is about some tourists writing names on a rock..ok.. the mind boggles.

Your so right, my mind is boggling all the time.

Why spend any time solving these petty crimes? For that matter why bother with thieves and fraudsters? Just concentrate all resources on murderers and leave all other criminals to do as they please, after all, they are insignificant. Who cares about road casualties when there are unsolved murders. While they are at it close hospitals, highway maintenance yards and all other government facilities and get these people and the military out doing something worthwhile like hunting down murderers. When will Thailand get its priorities right?

15 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Punishment should fit the crime, simple as that, make them pay to have it cleaned, fine them and move on. It's just some graffiti after all, nobody is hurt.

After making them clean up the graffiti (not pay to have it done - that is easy way out). Under Police transport to the point of departure from the Kingdom (banned for life) they must wear a "sandwich board" that says, "I am being deported for being an idiot vandal in Thailand." DEMEAN THEM! :post-4641-1156693976:   :smile:

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Your so right, my mind is boggling all the time.

Why spend any time solving these petty crimes? For that matter why bother with thieves and fraudsters? Just concentrate all resources on murderers and leave all other criminals to do as they please, after all, they are insignificant. Who cares about road casualties when there are unsolved murders. While they are at it close hospitals, highway maintenance yards and all other government facilities and get these people and the military out doing something worthwhile like hunting down murderers. When will Thailand get its priorities right?

I am sorry, but i cannot help you.????

11 hours ago, mindfulness said:

The Thai’s seem to be more of Classic creative Banksy’s than the modern Ugg’Ugg’ foreigners. Ah ! That’s the one ‘foreigners’ how dare they. Shessh man the amount of modern Thai Graffitti and in Cave all over Thailand. 

Anyhow, ‘f’ authoritarianism, man ! Where are the victims of this, oh that’s right ‘the offended ones’, man up, women up ! 

https://goo.gl/images/hvHLzb

Let's all man up and get a few cans and make anything that looks interesting or beautiful look like a pile of crap. We should also bring along sledge hammers to chip away at any statues or buildings that have any historical importance. Your house would look much better with scouser sprayed over it. Being the manly person you are I'm sure you could supply the spray cans for the local yobs. 

Rarely can any graffiti be called art. You may not care about your environment but many of us do. Whenever I see graffiti I feel I am in a place where people have given up caring. It makes places seem miserable and depressing. Two of my (UK) neighbors recently had offensive mindless graffiti sprayed on their garden walls by school children. I was offended by it as they were showing no respect for property or people. It was quickly cleaned up but not completely gone. So it is still offensive. If you take care of your house, and it happened to you, I am sure you would soon see it differently.

This is nothing new and I can't say I understand why people do it. But as you can see from the pictures this has been going on for a long time. You can see many names hidden under the moss that will eventually cover the new scribbles. I have traveled extensively around the world and you see this type of thing everywhere it is not just a FARANG thing even Thai's do it along with Chinese and Japanese. But this scratching with a stone is not the same as people that go out with the intention to cause damage by carrying spray cans. For the former better education and signage would help the later should defiantly be prosecuted. 

Archived