BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Not again! Jail threat to foreign graffiti artists at Chiang Mai cave

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Ever heard the expression ' When in Rome ' ? I thoroughly dislike graffiti but if the locals dont set an example , why should visitors be expected to do better.

Thailand is becoming a giant rubbish tip , many of its inhabitants seemingly care nothing for their environment , yet it is foreigners that are singled out for blame.

Its not right and its not helpfull, those living in glass houses should not throw stones !

There are all types of Thais. Vast majority do not write graffiti . Two wrongs does not make a right. 

7 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

I can show you a number of places in Chiang Mai that are predominately tagged by Thais.  This is not a farang only issue although the media is framing this a exactly that.  But how often do we hear of a BIB manhunt for Thai graffiti artists in the media?  I can't think of any, but correct me if I'm off base.

If Thailand wished to be proactive, they would pass out a brochure listing all the stupid things that farangs and foreigners often do while visiting that will get them into trouble as well as spelling out the fines and jail times for each - and then have each passenger sign that they understand before they disembark their plane. 

Farangs and Foreigners?

Not defending anyone, but some Thais are perfectly capable of writing alphabets and even forming words and names with it.

There's one thing on my mind when i see things like this. 

Why do they do it? I mean let's be honest. Nobody on earth cares about a bunch of nobodys like these!

Tourists all the the world damage property, it is a never ending battle for authorities to stop it .

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

People who do this should be caught, and given the maximum sentence possible, then banned for life. 

Yeah they should be chopped off 

kick up the b-m decent fine $ vandalism should not be tolerated ,

15 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, there are plenty of thieves and criminals and fraudsters walking free, and the concern is about some tourists writing names on a rock..ok.. the mind boggles.

Your so right, my mind is boggling all the time.

Why spend any time solving these petty crimes? For that matter why bother with thieves and fraudsters? Just concentrate all resources on murderers and leave all other criminals to do as they please, after all, they are insignificant. Who cares about road casualties when there are unsolved murders. While they are at it close hospitals, highway maintenance yards and all other government facilities and get these people and the military out doing something worthwhile like hunting down murderers. When will Thailand get its priorities right?

They don't have any proof that a foreigner did it.Maybe a thai did it......English is a universel language.....Not in LOS lor?????555555

15 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Punishment should fit the crime, simple as that, make them pay to have it cleaned, fine them and move on. It's just some graffiti after all, nobody is hurt.

After making them clean up the graffiti (not pay to have it done - that is easy way out). Under Police transport to the point of departure from the Kingdom (banned for life) they must wear a "sandwich board" that says, "I am being deported for being an idiot vandal in Thailand." DEMEAN THEM! :post-4641-1156693976:   :smile:

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Your so right, my mind is boggling all the time.

Why spend any time solving these petty crimes? For that matter why bother with thieves and fraudsters? Just concentrate all resources on murderers and leave all other criminals to do as they please, after all, they are insignificant. Who cares about road casualties when there are unsolved murders. While they are at it close hospitals, highway maintenance yards and all other government facilities and get these people and the military out doing something worthwhile like hunting down murderers. When will Thailand get its priorities right?

I am sorry, but i cannot help you.🤔

11 hours ago, mindfulness said:

The Thai’s seem to be more of Classic creative Banksy’s than the modern Ugg’Ugg’ foreigners. Ah ! That’s the one ‘foreigners’ how dare they. Shessh man the amount of modern Thai Graffitti and in Cave all over Thailand. 

Anyhow, ‘f’ authoritarianism, man ! Where are the victims of this, oh that’s right ‘the offended ones’, man up, women up ! 

https://goo.gl/images/hvHLzb

Let's all man up and get a few cans and make anything that looks interesting or beautiful look like a pile of crap. We should also bring along sledge hammers to chip away at any statues or buildings that have any historical importance. Your house would look much better with scouser sprayed over it. Being the manly person you are I'm sure you could supply the spray cans for the local yobs. 

Rarely can any graffiti be called art. You may not care about your environment but many of us do. Whenever I see graffiti I feel I am in a place where people have given up caring. It makes places seem miserable and depressing. Two of my (UK) neighbors recently had offensive mindless graffiti sprayed on their garden walls by school children. I was offended by it as they were showing no respect for property or people. It was quickly cleaned up but not completely gone. So it is still offensive. If you take care of your house, and it happened to you, I am sure you would soon see it differently.

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I am sorry, but i cannot help you.🤔

Don't worry, I'm beyond help. Many have tried. 

This is nothing new and I can't say I understand why people do it. But as you can see from the pictures this has been going on for a long time. You can see many names hidden under the moss that will eventually cover the new scribbles. I have traveled extensively around the world and you see this type of thing everywhere it is not just a FARANG thing even Thai's do it along with Chinese and Japanese. But this scratching with a stone is not the same as people that go out with the intention to cause damage by carrying spray cans. For the former better education and signage would help the later should defiantly be prosecuted. 

17 hours ago, vogie said:

Have they caught the offenders yet?

NO CCTV ALL THESE YRS AGO !!!