Legal age consent Thailand

Kenny202

Talking to a mate last week reckons he's in a bit of hot water over a 19 yo girl. Looks like it will be sorted with a cash settlement but could have been a lot worse. I would have thought 19 well over the age of consent but he is adamant there is some archaic law where everything is at the discretion of the parents until the child turns 20yo. So yes technically he or she could be of consensual age...providing the parents agree. I have even heard the parents can give their consent beforehand...then withdraw it later which would leave the suiter in a precarious position. I have seen a lot of conflicting stuff on here and I know a lot of blokes get confused with the age where a girl can work in a bar....18 I believe...but according to my friend she can work in a bar at 18 again only with her mothers consent.

It sounds to me like he hasn't sought proper legal advice, only taking the word of the local BIB no doubt in cahoots with the family. You know, pay this money and it will all go away. 

Generally I have heard the age of consent is much lower than 18...again with the parents consent.

Is there a definitive answer on this or is it like everything here?

• Like 1

What happens if he doesn't pay ?

I'd like to hear both sides of this extortion / blackmail plot if you could elaborate please.

How much are the family attempting to sell their daughter for ?
I dont know too much apart from the fact its a 6 figure sum. He didnt want to talk too much about it but seemed resigned to paying it. He was actually defending the girl saying if she wouldnt have told her family what a nice guy he was would have been worse. It doesnt sound right to me but not here really asking on his behalf.

Genuinely wanting to know if there are definitive laws on this...maybe someone with first hand experience.

Seen a lot of stuff on here but most seemed like opinions rather than facts

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

42 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Age of consent in Thailand is 15, but it might cause troubles because the girl or her parents could just say that she did it for money which would then be illegal.

If the girl is 18 you won't have problems, i think the girl or the family is just trying to extort money

Thats not correct , 18 year olds can give consent , 15-17 year olds must have their parents consent , so, 18 is the age of consent 

• Like 2

If it has the ability to go so horribly wrong, why not just let it be and find a girl old enough that you don't have to deal with her parents? Surely there are other fish in the sea without ending up in hot water over some kind of he-said/she-said, did too/did not game with the parents, and surely 18 is not too old to be a dealbreaker.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Source?

The link that you supplied in post # 4 above states "having sex with an adolescent under 18 is a compoundable offense even with the consent of that person. The parent or the adolescent may file charges against the other side if they later regret their own action. This ostensibly makes the Thai unfettered age of consent 18."

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

LOL , I didnt say that .

I said the parents  MUST give consent , (of course the girl must be consenting as well )

That's obviously what i meant. "the parents  MUST give consent" is imho wrong and thus i asked you for a source for your statement.

In my opinion the situation is like this, which is as written in the wikipedia article:

If the other person is 15-17 having sex with her/him is legal even if the parents didn't give their consent beforehand (if no money involved). But it may become illegal later if the parents decide that they don't like it, or if they simply claim money was involved.

Edited by jackdd

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

General personal Knowledge which can be found with a websearch

Yeah....

And those of us that have been here long enough, deeply interacting with Thai society - quite understanding the "legal" aspect as well as the social/community side. 

Every situation will not apply the same....varying differently.

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's obviously what i meant. "the parents  MUST give consent" is imho wrong and thus i asked you for a source for your statement.

In my opinion the situation is like this, which is as written in the wikipedia article:

If the other person is 15-17 having sex with her/him is legal even if the parents didn't give their consent beforehand (if no money involved). But it may become illegal later if the parents decide that they don't like it, or if they simply claim money was involved.

LOL , I Give up .

I have shown you the link , the link that you posted and its quite clearly written, yet you still cannot grasp what one sentence means .

What you posted about being written in your link, isnt actually what is written there , you just made that up .

Just trying to make sense of your post : Of course it will only become illegal after its happened .

I didnt write "Parents must give their consent" , I wrote that the Parents ........... I give up

Looks like over 18 to me. Anything else is iffy.

does the bribe thing work, or does it simply lead to more requests and payoffs?

your then left with paying more and more people and/or money down the line, or taking it to the judge, and I don't believe the court system is very impartial. Get a good lawyer.

Edited by Dick Crank

Thai law states that the age of consent is 15 years of age. But to confuse matters a little, when it comes to commercial sex, that is prostitution, the age of consent is not 15, but 18. To really confuse matters even further, there are laws that state that those under 20 are not allowed to enter certain establishments, although this is not an age of consent issue as such, but a law related to alcohol consumption.

• Like 1

18 and over, you're safe. This "family" is scamming your friend and taking him for a dope. No crime was committed with a 19 year old who consented. No lawyer is needed. Nothing happened but consensual sex with both parties above the age of consent. If they're not claiming rape, they're scamming. 

Don't even think about under 18, because even if you navigate Thai laws, you are subject to laws of your country, which means blackmail is a possibility. Girl must be 20 to work in a bar (prostitute). That is the rule. But TIT. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Thai law states that the age of consent is 15 years of age. But to confuse matters a little, when it comes to commercial sex, that is prostitution, the age of consent is not 15, but 18. To really confuse matters even further, there are laws that state that those under 20 are not allowed to enter certain establishments, although this is not an age of consent issue as such, but a law related to alcohol consumption.

Apart from the fact that prostitution is illegal in Thailand for any age .

15 year olds cannot give consent without their Parents also giving consent , so, a 15 year old cannot give consent independently , making the age of consent to be 18

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thats not correct , 18 year olds can give consent , 15-17 year olds must have their parents consent , so, 18 is the age of consent 

He is correct 15; Thailand statutory rape law is violated when an individual has consensual sexual intercourse with a person under age 15. However, sex with a minor under age 18 is a compoundable offense, regardless of consent.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

He is correct 15; Thailand statutory rape law is violated when an individual has consensual sexual intercourse with a person under age 15. However, sex with a minor under age 18 is a compoundable offense, regardless of consent.

I keep hearing this word compoundable, and I understand what the word means but I don't understand what it means in this instance? Compoundable means to exacerbate or grow. If the person is over 16 with consent there is no offence as such...so what is compounded?

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

He is not correct .

15 years olds cannot give consent without their parents consenting to the relationship , 18 years olds can give consent without their parents giving their consent .

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

All the above statements are correct.

The only thing I find not correct is that the girl's parents can do anything whatsoever to this man who was with a consenting 19-year-old. They, if this account is true, are simply trying it on to extract money or else the daughter is! and just using them as an excuse. There are no limits that some of them won't go to to get money.

If he pays,  he is a fool, they will then lean and dream up new ideas to extract funds ranging from the sick Granny to the buffalo. The man needs to walk away. The legal age is 18 years old. Anything less, you are entering a minefield.

Although things may get complicated if they was any payment involved 

15 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Talking to a mate

Wink wink.........  ????          Say no more........????

Listen, we don't care if you've been having it away with 19 y/o wimmin.

Just chill, you've done nuthin' wrong geezer.

The girl's family are just trying it on.

Unless it's Sin Sod for a possible future wedding?

Jeez out here in the Sticks nobody bats an eyelid when a 14 y/o gets pregnant and the couple become an item at 15 with child.

• Like 2