Bangkok gets that sinking feeling

webfact

Bangkok gets that sinking feeling

The city is reaching skyward, but its foundations are under water

KEN BARRETT

bkk.jpg

MahaNakhon is Bangkok's tallest skyscraper, but not for long.   © Reuters

It is a habit of mine to take out-of-town visitors to Vertigo, a restaurant on the roof of Bangkok's 60-story Thai Wah Tower 2, where I point to a stumpy building peering shyly from the surrounding forest of towers. 

"That," I say, "was the tallest building in the city when I first came here ..." I can be a Bangkok bore on this subject, but the looks of amazement on the faces of my captive audience tell me that they are suitably impressed.

Bangkok has the world's 15th highest total of buildings of 150 meters or taller, with 69 complete and 23 more under construction, according to the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/Tea-Leaves/Bangkok-gets-that-sinking-feeling

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2018-10-31

15 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

"Much of the city could be under water within a generation", according to the article.

I wonder if the Junta included any action on this in its infamous 20 year plan, or is this why they ordered the submarines?

Actually the 20 Year Strategic Plan does not specifically include any plans; especially plans to do the impossible like stop the presumed sinking of Bangkok. The Plan is just one man's long winded philosophy and castle in the air dreams for Thailand's future over the next 20 years. 

Archived