Street dogs in Thailand?

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Absolutely right. It can take a while sometimes but almost any dog will quickly become your friend if you show it some kindness. If it takes a long time it’s usually because it’s had bad experiences with humans. In general dogs like human contact, they just don’t always get it in the right way

Yep good advice

All dogs should be chipped, with the owner's details.  Then the owner could be held responsible by law for any accident their dog caused.  When dog owners realize their dog can cost them a lot of money if it is allowed to roam the streets then they will look after them properly, just turning them on to the street, the owner will still be responsible.

What action can I take against street dogs in Thailand?

The question is asked in reverse,

for Thailand, the question should be, What action street dogs can take against me?                                                                                   Many answers, you know already most of them from bitting you to send you to a hospital with rabies or only infection if you're lucky.          For the first formulation: What action can I take against street dogs in Thailand? The answer is none at all if you want to continue your everyday life in peace :smile:

39 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You can sue them in court for barking at you, damaging the image of Thaland and allegedly, biting someone.............that'll get some attention :clap2:

But will they have to wai?  ????

Never had a problem with a soi dog (mostly in Bangkok).  For the most part, they ignore me, can't be arsed to do more than look at me.  I've only had problems with dogs that are owned... the dog in Hua Hin who suddenly rushed and bit me (luckily only very superficially) as I walked past his house on the street (funny enough all those damn monkeys that I had been apprehensive about at the temple weren't a problem), the pair in Prapadaeng who weren't content to bark at me from afar as I walked on a path 50 meters from their yard but decided to cross a large ditch and possibly hop a low fence to come behind me-- they were making me nervous and it was a good thing I was approaching a large group of cyclists and the numbers probably gave them pause, and then the guy in the group who saw what was going on and yelled at them made them turn around and leave.

I've not met up with soi dogs when I'm alone, when they're in large packs, or in rural areas, though.

17 minutes ago, Katia said:

But will they have to wai?  ????

Never had a problem with a soi dog (mostly in Bangkok).  For the most part, they ignore me, can't be arsed to do more than look at me.  I've only had problems with dogs that are owned... the dog in Hua Hin who suddenly rushed and bit me (luckily only very superficially) as I walked past his house on the street (funny enough all those damn monkeys that I had been apprehensive about at the temple weren't a problem), the pair in Prapadaeng who weren't content to bark at me from afar as I walked on a path 50 meters from their yard but decided to cross a large ditch and possibly hop a low fence to come behind me-- they were making me nervous and it was a good thing I was approaching a large group of cyclists and the numbers probably gave them pause, and then the guy in the group who saw what was going on and yelled at them made them turn around and leave.

I've not met up with soi dogs when I'm alone, when they're in large packs, or in rural areas, though.

Myself, over 40 years associated with Thailand and soi dogs, have never had one come close to biting me, make a little bit of noise, or charge threatening, but I jus bend down like I'm picking uo something and they stop & run away.  I am careful about feeding scraps to a group, I drop food in piles spaced apart, and always carry a stick, its like magic, point it at them, and they'll sit down.  You can pick out the Alpha quite easily, throw hia food in a different direction then feed the others..............I've never been bitten  -  but have never petted one either.......I am not stupid.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Myself, over 40 years associated with Thailand and soi dogs, have never had one come close to biting me, make a little bit of noise, or charge threatening, but I jus bend down like I'm picking uo something and they stop & run away.  I am careful about feeding scraps to a group, I drop food in piles spaced apart, and always carry a stick, its like magic, point it at them, and they'll sit down.  You can pick out the Alpha quite easily, throw hia food in a different direction then feed the others..............I've never been bitten  -  but have never petted one either.......I am not stupid.

Yes, the Bangkok soi cats saw a lot of love from me, but while I'd speak to the dogs when passing, I never offered to pet one (nor really had one ask for it anyway).  I've never been afraid of dogs, and that one in Hua Hin was the first time in my life that I've been bitten, but I never saw a point in pressing my luck when it came to aggression or illness, and I admit that these days I'm a bit more wary when a dog I don't know who's stray or uncontrolled by owner gets within a few feet of me, even if he acts friendly or curious or neutral (the one in HH never acted aggressive or even nervous until the sudden growl and lunge, so I was completely not expecting it, so now I know I can't always expect a dog to telegraph his intent).

15 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Unless something's been changed/edited (either in the title or the OP) I see no mention of killing dogs. Only the problem with Thais' lack of responsibility in taking care of their dogs and of potentially starting a petition.

I find it telling that another Euro feels the need to disparage America over a post about the dog problem in Thailand.

OK, just read where the title of the OP had been edited. (Still doesn't merit the disparagement of America. Seems like it's just the popular thing to do on TV.)

Good that you saw your error and corrected it. I made a comment about Americans but kept it real general and certainly not insulting at all. I do think that in general Americans are more prone to violent solutions / killing of animals. You might disagree but its my opinion and i stand by it. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Good that you saw your error and corrected it. I made a comment about Americans but kept it real general and certainly not insulting at all. I do think that in general Americans are more prone to violent solutions / killing of animals. You might disagree but its my opinion and i stand by it. 

"I made a comment about Americans but kept it real general and certainly not insulting at all. I do think that in general Americans are more prone to violent solutions / killing of animals."

So you say you made a comment that is "not insulting" but then go on say that "...in general Americans are more prone to violent solutions...". If generalizing about a segment of the world's population and saying they're more prone to violence is not an insult, I don't know what is. (Just imagine someone making that same comment but replace "Americans" with "African-Americans".) Pretty ironic in that most Europeans will condemn Americans for being provincial and prone to generalizations, yet yourself do the same.

1 minute ago, Hank Gunn said:

"I made a comment about Americans but kept it real general and certainly not insulting at all. I do think that in general Americans are more prone to violent solutions / killing of animals."

So you say you made a comment that is "not insulting" but then go on say that "...in general Americans are more prone to violent solutions...". If generalizing about a segment of the world's population and saying they're more prone to violence is not an insult, I don't know what is. (Just imagine someone making that same comment but replace "Americans" with "African-Americans".) Pretty ironic in that most Europeans will condemn Americans for being provincial and prone to generalizations, yet yourself do the same.

I know generalizations are bad but they also show a lot of truth. The US is a violent country full of guns. So how much of a stretch is it say that in general.. or on average Americans are more prone to violent solutions ? I would say not much of a stretch at all. If i add to that the fact that the US has far more wild area's where killing animals is normal if they are a nuisance then my claims seem pretty solid.  Again this is NOT an attack on Americans just stating facts. I absolutely don't mean that every American is a violent person. I just think the  culture and solution to problems is different then Europe (mainly my small country the Netherlands)

That you might not be violent does not matter, its averages. Its like saying I think Dutch use more pot then (fill in a country). I would not feel insulted (im Dutch) i would feel it could be the truth but does not say a thing about me personally. 

You obviously feel offended easier then me sorry if I offended you that was NOT my intention. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know generalizations are bad but they also show a lot of truth. The US is a violent country full of guns. So how much of a stretch is it say that in general.. or on average Americans are more prone to violent solutions ? I would say not much of a stretch at all. If i add to that the fact that the US has far more wild area's where killing animals is normal if they are a nuisance then my claims seem pretty solid.  Again this is NOT an attack on Americans just stating facts. I absolutely don't mean that every American is a violent person. I just think the  culture and solution to problems is different then Europe (mainly my small country the Netherlands)

That you might not be violent does not matter, its averages. Its like saying I think Dutch use more pot then (fill in a country). I would not feel insulted (im Dutch) i would feel it could be the truth but does not say a thing about me personally. 

You obviously feel offended easier then me sorry if I offended you that was NOT my intention. 

Unfortunately, we now live in an era where everyone seems to get offended over something.

Let me tell you I am an animal lover

i feel bad for how animals are treated in this country from the elephants expoloited for tourism to the drugged up tigers in cages in pattaya and surroundings

What you should realise is that the only true crime is to be caught, and being caught in this country would be a bad thing, american dog killer to be fined more than if he had run over a group of school kids playing on corner, 

american refuses to wai to owner and pay money after slaying of vicious soi dogs

the answer is very hot chili powder, and chillis , soak it all in white vingegar

then get a muslim, no i mean muslim cloth and strain out the big bits,

next time those dogs come close spray those fukkers, they will soon learn

On 11/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, Unify said:

Dogs are not even close to the most dangerous animal in the world. That honor goes to mosquitoes, causing somewhere around 725,000 deaths a year.

And if he doesn't class mosquitoes as animals, he can give the title to humans, they are responsible for the deaths of other humans far exceeding any other animal.

Petitions may be part of your world, but I would advise spending a little bit of time here in Thailand and then rethink that course of action..........:thumbsup:

Archived