BANGKOK
Daveyh

What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

On 10/31/2018 at 2:32 PM, watcharacters said:

I'd direct the OP to take a look at a few of the videos posted by this fellow.

I've not heard anyone gush more about the PI than he does.    He likes the simple life and focuses on what he sees as a low cost life style.

If nothing else a look at one or two of his videos offers some  degree of entertainment.

Isn't he a glowing reccomendstion. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yeah it willneeds lots of adjustments for u Once u relocate to Phills because than u can talk with security guards, taxi drivers, girls in the malls etc  fluently perfectly in English while here in Thailand u always doing this in the Thailanguage so yes big psyche re-afjust proces ( for you) duhh

I can understand that English fluency among the locals can be a big different PH to TH. But that's not really what I was talking about. I was more talking about what it's like interacting with the locals when they're TH vs PH. The quirks of Thais like not touching head, not pointing feet, careful about Buddha stuff, the general insularness of most Thais, their frequent aversion to directness, etc etc...

Thais and Filipinos may both be Asians and of Asian culture, but I tend to think they're really wired pretty differently. And then you throw the whole PH Catholic psychosis into the mix....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 10/31/2018 at 7:08 PM, watcharacters said:

If you looked at a few of the nut cake's videos you'd see he's an older fellow who enjoys assimilating in the Philippine culture, he leads a simple lifestyle, and he shares the company of more than a few nice looking ladies.

He's entertaining I think and not a bitter, complaining, old git.

Does that answer your question, Sir?

You mean sex tourist, right? 

On 11/1/2018 at 9:56 PM, Gruff said:

The integrity of taxi drivers very much depends where you are. Be aware whilst taxis from Cebu Airport are well controlled you will struggle to get a taxi from Manila airport to town without getting ripped off!

Indeed, there are people in airport uniforms with clipboards trying to charge you 4 times as much for a trip into Makati or bgc as the booth 2 meters away. 

On 11/2/2018 at 4:10 AM, l4ml4m said:

If you like weed, better stay in Thailand !

if you like fat girls, go to PI !

Medical. Grade us marijuana far more available in the Phils. 

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can understand that English fluency among the locals can be a big different PH to TH. But that's not really what I was talking about. I was more talking about what it's like interacting with the locals when they're TH vs PH. The quirks of Thais like not touching head, not pointing feet, careful about Buddha stuff, the general insularness of most Thais, their frequent aversion to directness, etc etc...

Thais and Filipinos may both be Asians and of Asian culture, but I tend to think they're really wired pretty differently. And then you throw the whole PH Catholic psychosis into the mix....

Well since there is no language barrier and since they have a simular religion as we do and since they been brought up by American tv such as Friends Seinfeld like we have and since they followed a schooling education program based on the American curriculum what problems u expect to run into with filipinos that u dont have with Thais? 

On 11/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, tropo said:

I have no idea why anyone would complain about repeats of this topic. Things are constantly changing in both countries and NOW is perfect timing as many expats (myself included) are starting to explore the idea of relocating. I've spent about 5 years full time over there and 12 years in Thailand.

Here's last months comparison of electricity pricing. I pay 2 bills every month, one here and one over there in PI.

PI: 245 kWh = 3,200 PHP (13 PHP per kWh) (Provincial - Visaya region)

TH: 845 kWh = 3,653 THB (4.32 THB per KWh)

At the current exchange rate of about 1 THB = 1.62 PHP that makes the price of electricity in PI about 63% more expensive than Thailand. Fortunately, we don't use aircon in PI.

Compare that provincial rate to the rate in bgc or Makati. Electricity is dear indeed. 

17 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well since there is no language barrier and since they have a simular religion as we do and since they been brought up by American tv such as Friends Seinfeld like we have and since they followed a schooling education program based on the American curriculum what problems u expect to run into with filipinos that u dont have with Thais? 

I never said anything about "problems". I just alluded to the potential mindset differences in suddenly dealing with a different culture of people (PH) after having dealt with and become accustomed to Thais over many years.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:56 PM, Gruff said:

The integrity of taxi drivers very much depends where you are. Be aware whilst taxis from Cebu Airport are well controlled you will struggle to get a taxi from Manila airport to town without getting ripped off!

Get a local SIM on arrival, step out of the terminal, and then use the grab car app.

Why is this still necessary to point out to people? It's been around for at least three years, all over Asia.

Except of course -Thailand!

Thank the AOT mafia, who barred them from Thai airports.

At least there are train or bus options in bangkok and phuket. 

Started a new deep in report about Cebu living.