BANGKOK 19 July 2019 17:02
Daveyh

What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

Security in many places is a bit of a concern & as to natural disasters if there is one around you can bet they will cop it

https://harrythehorse.asia/newsletter-archive

Link to Harry the Horse Newsletters from Angeles. He had to stop writing them in 2017 because of health, but back issues give you a continuous lok at Angeles City and Subic covering many years. Will give you a historical look at most everything , especially if retired. Very Best of Luck in your search.

• Thanks 2

If copy and paste doesn't work, just Google Harry the Horse. Looked it up before copying link.

10 hours ago, Daveyh said:

I'm sure you are right about dozens of threads on the subject, but how about an update? I'm looking for something more positive & a recent up to date prior to going & having a look myself.

I've always used the "search" option on TV before raising a new topic ........ sadly it does not appear to work that well. <removed>........ but later found a thread where I could copy my posts. Are other members having this problem?? Cheers ..... 

You say you would like a recent more positive review, what if we are giving you our impressions and reviews but you find them not positve. This is resent as I have a friend who bought a home for his pinay GF (now wife) but has never lived there. There are armed security (shot guns, automatic weapons)  at banks, malls and even McDonalds. Abu Sayyaf  group is known to kidnap tourists/expats for ransom and have killed them when not paid. Google them and their activities. Internet and electric power goes out all the time (brownouts) Hurricanes can hit areas.

Cheap sex, but Angeles City is a dump that looks seedy and cheap, check out videos on YouTube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I’m on my third visit to PI and I really like it. But then I’m a beach bum and like to swim everyday. I’m really tired of the filthy Thai beaches.

I’m not a big fan of the food as I’m a semi-vegetarian and they love their pork and beef here. Not to mention the psychedelic hotdogs...

I really love the people and it’s so nice to be able to converse with almost everyone. They seem to be genuinely friendly and very happy.

I’m with a new gf on Mindanao and unlike my previous Thai gfs, she’s not after money. In fact, I keep encouraging her to shop for new clothes and she says she doesn’t need anything.

This morning I left 50 pesos on the bed for the maid and it was still there when I returned - on the newly made bed???

i tip the taxi drivers (who always use the meter) and they always look at me with surprise.

i have been to Cebu, Dumaguete, Siquijor and Palawan. Palawan was the only island I didn’t like.

i haven’t explored much of Mindanao yet but have a feeling it’s the island for me.

”building homes in SEA for one woman at a time”

The integrity of taxi drivers very much depends where you are. Be aware whilst taxis from Cebu Airport are well controlled you will struggle to get a taxi from Manila airport to town without getting ripped off!

• Like 2

Just the tip of the iceberg.....

For a start.....

Study up on these guys too....They are basically thugs for hire & are a constant in the PI.....

Police are scared of them ....Military doesn't look to hard to find them & they hold sway most everywhere.....If someone has a problem - for $$$$$$ they make the problem/person go away.....And PI doesn't keep tabs on foreigners....

Read the PI forums (like TVF) and you'll get some insight into different areas + what these guys are up to.....

Screenshot_2018-11-01-21-02-15-21.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

If your were in the USA military, live near a U.S. VA hospital.  Do they still have VA hospitals in the Philippine ?

The Philippine is a fourth world country, I saw many western retirees in Angle City with swollen angles.   

There is one VA outpatient clinic in Manila that I think they are trying to close.

Edited by marcusarelus

On 10/31/2018 at 12:24 PM, KittenKong said:

UK pension increases paid in full.

Wow! I didn't know that.

Any reason why? RP was a US colony not British.

I have never been but it has been on the list for a while.

A friend said, "there are too many guns" but there are plenty in LOS, or the States for that matter.

🤨

Of course, living in Thailand has an advantage: you can always spot the mafia, as they are almost always wearing uniforms (or have done).

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Wow! I didn't know that.

Any reason why? RP was a US colony not British.

I have never been but it has been on the list for a while.

The UK pension annual increases and the possible freezing thereof are a source of constant wonder.

Basically it all boils down to whether there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and the country in question. Trouble is, there is no obvious way of working out whether such an agreement exists apart from looking at a list. Certainly being an ex-colony or part of the Commonwealth has nothing to do with it.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/frozenindexed.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Among folks who have spent a lot of time in BOTH places, the majority far and away would seem to pick Thailand over the PH.

I've spent a lot of time in both countries, going back more than 40 years. I picked Thailand to retire to but I prefer the RP, mostly for reasons I described in an earlier post. Hardly a day passes when I dont wonder if my choice was correct.

35 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I've spent a lot of time in both countries, going back more than 40 years. I picked Thailand to retire to but I prefer the RP, mostly for reasons I described in an earlier post. Hardly a day passes when I dont wonder if my choice was correct.

I too have kicked this idea around as Im burned out on Thais...but maybe a diff location may help

Would be nice to have a normal conversation with the locals and a western vibe....

i lived in cambodia so i know all there is to know about electric out

and shitty food and no variety and girth of consumer goods,

hated every single solitary second with a burning passion and will never recover

• Sad 1