What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

Daveyh

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How would they know?

Well, I guess you could research tax treaties between your country and the PI. These guys are both off-shore workers whose only source of income is from outside the PI, just as mine was for many of the years I lived there.  I've transferred money into different Philippine banks and even held dollar accounts in them. Never was taxed.

58 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Mindanao

You enjoy Mindanao ?  "Sorry I see you mean Mindoro  north of Mindanao

Cagayan de Oro is a hub city in Mindanao, a giant southern Philippine island that you may have been taught to avoid. At least four Muslim rebel groups operate on the island and once in a while they set off a bomb or kidnap foreign tourists. The vigilante group Abu Sayyaf, for example, beheaded a Canadian hostage in April. No wonder the Canadian government’s September travel advisory for the Philippines “advises against all travel to the Mindanao region due to the serious threat of terrorist attacks and kidnapping.”

That type of common advice keeps direct investment out of Mindanao despite a wealth of natural resources, leaving the island poorer than other parts of the Philippine archipelago.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/southeast-asia/philippines/areas-to-avoid-in-the-philippines                 

One mans meat is another man's poison. JUst visit both places for awhile , rent a place travel around and make your own choice,

Cut myself shaving a couple of times but never got my head cut off.  That would be a definite con to me.  In Thailand the Americans say they are Canadian who do the Canadians say they are in the Philippines? 

On 11/8/2018 at 7:16 PM, smotherb said:

I doubt the PI has ever taxed foreign-earned income--at least from US. I have lived there for 10-12 years, over the last 50 years. Only income earned there was ever a concern. I just checked on fb with two of my bros in the PI, both Brits, one there 15 years, the other 27 years--no tax on foreign-earned income

Maybe that just means that they dont declare it? When I checked last (which was several years ago) the documents I found indicated that overseas income was taxable, just as it is in the US and the UK and many other countries. In fact in this respect Thailand is a notable exception.

And of course DTA arrangements apply in the RP too, so maybe that was what your contacts are referring to.

On 10/31/2018 at 6:13 AM, Kwasaki said:

I agree many negative things are said about the Philippines and unfair to compare, one man's meat is another mans poison.

OP it will take you a whiles to find what suits you I would suggest starting with the most popular tourist areas first and go from there.

You say an island living & a few home comforts would be welcome and a beach house, well you have aprox 7,600 islands to pick from. ????

I have mixed feelings

Our Manila office at my last post had a massive issues with the married guys getting into trouble with their staff like baby trouble. Then there were fairly regular childlike kidnapping for money. We had drivers abducted so the crimes could pick up the unsuspecting target all sorts like that.

Sad thing is most of the people were genuinely nice and in some ways quiet conservative in their attitudes.

Its like most poorer countries with richer visitors you need to be on your six all the time. I have a couple of friends live out there and love it so each to their own?

On 11/9/2018 at 2:50 PM, Tony125 said:

Mindanao

Cagayan de Oro is a hub city in Mindanao, a giant southern Philippine island that you may have been taught to avoid. At least four Muslim rebel groups operate on the island and once in a while they set off a bomb or kidnap foreign tourists. The vigilante group Abu Sayyaf, for example, beheaded a Canadian hostage in April. No wonder the Canadian government’s September travel advisory for the Philippines “advises against all travel to the Mindanao region due to the serious threat of terrorist attacks and kidnapping.”

That type of common advice keeps direct investment out of Mindanao despite a wealth of natural resources, leaving the island poorer than other parts of the Philippine archipelago.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/southeast-asia/philippines/areas-to-avoid-in-the-philippines                 

One mans meat is another man's poison. JUst visit both places for awhile , rent a place travel around and make your own choice,

Where in PI would you suggest for a guy wanting a nice quiet simple life? Or anywhere for that matter! :)

On 11/9/2018 at 7:50 AM, Tony125 said:

Mindanao

People please consider carefully even thinking about going to Mindanao.

It is as Tony 125 says under invested and under developed. For good reason that no one wants to invest there as effectively a civil war going on between the government and insurgents, worse in the South West.

Below is the U.K. Governments advice which mirrors most western countries.

There is a map within which shows the area and where to carefully consider going. Very carefully.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines

It may seem fun and exciting but the area can turn nasty very quickly particularly if you are a westerner. 

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Where in PI would you suggest for a guy wanting a nice quiet simple life? Or anywhere for that matter! ????

What do you like doing?

If you want beaches then anywhere on the coast in Luzon could be suitable. You will be able to travel to Manila by bus easily should you wish to. Perhaps the 100 islands area might suit you.

Outside of Luzon, just about every island will be quiet and will have many beaches, and there are more islands in the RP than you can shake a stick at. The RP coastline has lots of wiggles in it, and that means lots of coves and small beaches. Thailand tends to be more long coastlines and long beaches.
The RP is very Westernised, though even if you want to be quiet there could be advantages in being on the outskirts of some fairly touristy destination as that would allow you access to those tourist facilities (shopping, restaurants) should you want them. Puerto Galera, perhaps? Cebu, though it can get the brunt of storms?

Personally I prefer lakes and rivers and mountains, so somewhere around Tagaytay/Lake Taal might be nice, or my favourite is Baguio but it has a hill station climate that would not suit everyone and can be subject to earthquakes. Or go up to Mountain Province and step back in time. The options in the RP really are endless.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

What do you like doing?

If you want beaches then anywhere on the coast in Luzon could be suitable. You will be able to travel to Manila by bus easily should you wish to. Perhaps the 100 islands area might suit you.

Outside of Luzon, just about every island will be quiet and will have many beaches, and there are more islands in the RP than you can shake a stick at. The RP coastline has lots of wiggles in it, and that means lots of coves and small beaches. Thailand tends to be more long coastlines and long beaches.
The RP is very Westernised, though even if you want to be quiet there could be advantages in being on the outskirts of some fairly touristy destination as that would allow you access to those tourist facilities (shopping, restaurants) should you want them. Puerto Galera, perhaps? Cebu, though it can get the brunt of storms?

Personally I prefer lakes and rivers and mountains, so somewhere around Tagaytay/Lake Taal might be nice, or my favourite is Baguio but it has a hill station climate that would not suit everyone and can be subject to earthquakes. Or go up to Mountain Province and step back in time. The options in the RP really are endless.

Like being around nature..rivers..lakes..mountains..just a simple quiet life away from all the people-noise, but being close to some creature comforts is nice--and good wifi may be the trick...any good websites to like a TV forum like here?  I like to shake sticks at things!

Phil is noisy and smoke everywhere, unless you live in a high rated resort along the beaches. Phil is very beautiful, but also simple things as food, quiet life, can be challinging to find. If I was you, I would spend time and travel to places you think you could live before making up your mind. 

Also keep China in mind for the future, it is in the middle of the ring of fire, and not only due to the tectonic plates. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2018 at 1:22 AM, Hummin said:

Phil is noisy and smoke everywhere, unless you live in a high rated resort along the beaches. Phil is very beautiful, but also simple things as food, quiet life, can be challinging to find. If I was you, I would spend time and travel to places you think you could live before making up your mind. 

Also keep China in mind for the future, it is in the middle of the ring of fire, and not only due to the tectonic plates. 

I have indeed considered China but worry about seeing thier behavier here in CM..I did meet a lovely Chinese girl here last week and she may be the ONE!....Just could go anywhere for a simple-modest-quiet life...

2 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

I have indeed considered China but worry about seeing thier behavier here in CM..I did meet a lovely Chinese girl here last week and she may be the ONE!....Just could go anywhere for a simple-modest-quiet life...

I was hinting China as a treath to Phil ???? Not to relocate ???? 

13 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Could be anywhere in the world..where would u go as a single guy wanting a calm quiet cheap modest life

Im flexible, and at the moment Im in Thailand. I can relocate in a day if needed. 

I believe China will put more stress on Vietnam, Phil and Japan the next years to come, and we will see how it goes. Indonesia could be an nice option, but then you have the religion thing as well, so? Where to go? 

Brazil was an promising option, but violence and long travel made me change my mind, and now they got their crazy puppie on the seat as well. 

Portugal/Madeira and Azorene could be my next destination. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Could be anywhere in the world..where would u go as a single guy wanting a calm quiet cheap modest life

If I was American, I would for sure look at Costa Rica. Top many of the best places to retire in the world, and I would especially think that would be convinient for an US citizen. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hummin said:

If I was American, I would for sure look at Costa Rica. Top many of the best places to retire in the world, and I would especially think that would be convinient for an US citizen. 

Thanks for the info--Yep Im a Yank escaping Dump and high costs of living..can also leave within 24 hrs

Single dude with his freedom and standing at the crossroads...tired of thai drama and BS....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2018 at 9:56 AM, Daveyh said:

I'm sure you are right about dozens of threads on the subject, but how about an update? I'm looking for something more positive & a recent up to date prior to going & having a look myself.

I've always used the "search" option on TV before raising a new topic ........ sadly it does not appear to work that well. <removed>........ but later found a thread where I could copy my posts. Are other members having this problem?? Cheers ..... 

I have been to the Philippines several times over the last 5 years spend about a month each time.  I have lived in Thailand since 2001  The first time I went I avoided Manila because of all the negative talk, but later I got brave.  Let’s start out with the worst, couruption it is everywhere, even worse the Thailand  the airport in Manila is horrible, security offering to let you skip the line for 300 pesos, this happened to me twice.  I was ask to pay 2500 pesos to travel from one terminal to another by cheating taxi that airport secuty new what was going on.  All of these things can and do happen in Thailand.

now on to the more positive things.  People are friendly and nice, I was walking around Manila and I forgot to zip my pack back and some very kind local pointed this out to me.  Safety can be more of an insue in some areas then in Thailand, but Thailand is getting worse as well.    I have been in Manila, Baguio, Palawan, Cebu, Dumaguete, Cebu, Bohol. Baguio was nice but more crowded then I expected, taxis even used meters, I even had changed given back to me.  The weather is very cool . I preferred Cebu to manila for sure, once again taxied are fairly good always use meter, etc.   Bohol is very nice as well but very rural with no Starbucks even. The people seemed native to me in Bohol although I liked the simple life the people was the issue, I felt safe.  Dumaguete is very good  as well.    I could right a long peace about each place but the bottom line is it depends on where you are and what you expect.  The Catholic thing is a negative, the food, well I see most eat western style food, pizza shops are everywhere, Western food is way cheaper then Thailand outside of Manila.   It is hard to compare to Thailand, some things same same, some different.   If you want more meaningful relationships maybe PH would be better, at least you speak the same language, .

The big plus in PH is way way less tourist, Thailand had a boy 66 million population and about 33 million tourists per year think about that the next time you think your so special. The Philippines has about 120 million people and only about 10 million tourists per year.  Certainly positive for me.  Philippine tourists numbers are growing fast but you still have a few years to enjoy if you pick the right area   

In short I found everything way less expensive in the Philippines especially out of Manila, hotels can be a bit more in big cities .  Most are looking for a partner to settle down and have you help take care of there families, whiile in Thailand they just want to get as much money out of you as possible then move to next victim, with so many tourists in Thailand they can and will do this very well especially to unseasoned travelers 

Edited by genobkk
  • Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 6:51 PM, Hummin said:

Im flexible, and at the moment Im in Thailand. I can relocate in a day if needed. 

I believe China will put more stress on Vietnam, Phil and Japan the next years to come, and we will see how it goes. Indonesia could be an nice option, but then you have the religion thing as well, so? Where to go? 

Brazil was an promising option, but violence and long travel made me change my mind, and now they got their crazy puppie on the seat as well. 

Portugal/Madeira and Azorene could be my next destination. 

Portugal/Madeira, Azorene is not an option any longer after some few reco trips there. The more I travel in the wintertime, the more I am falling back on Thailand. Phil could be an option, but the food, travel and also if you want high standard, it is more convinient in Thailand still. In Phil high standard cost a bit more then Thailand. 

On 11/4/2018 at 9:28 PM, tropo said:

Most of what you've read is merely anti-Duterte propaganda. He rejected the high and mighty USA in favour of local neighbours, the most noteworthy being China. He's definitely going to cop a lot of flak from Western countries he has rejected. Did the US help to secure PI rights to the Spratly Islands? NO! They did nothing. They just let China continue their island building and military fortification. They just got upset when he called their president a son of a bitch and that's all they could focus on. Trump met with Duterte and didn't even mention a "war on drugs".

Now, among his SE Asian counterparts, he's considered a rock star. He gets a lot of positive attention when he visits SE Asian countries.

As far as living in the PI is concerned, everything has improved under the Duterte Administration. It certainly hasn't got any worse. I have 3 brothers-in-law that were all using drugs they could buy at the local sari-sari store. They have been clean for 2 years now since Dutertu took power. Indirectly I was paying for their drug habits. Duterte helped me directly LOL.

You have no idea how bad the drug problem was when Duterte came to power.

In short he is a Nut case.  He is favoring China to benefit himself.  He is one f the negative things about PH.   

On 12/24/2018 at 3:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

2. The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa.

Actually most people just live on tourist visa extensions and leave country for a day every 3 years if not married.  No restrictions on doing that.  For American service/diplomatic people who have served there the long stay visa does not require the large deposits.  If married to Filipina and arrive with her you stay a year.  It is simpler.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually most people just live on tourist visa extensions and leave country for a day every 3 years if not married.  No restrictions on doing that.  For American service/diplomatic people who have served there the long stay visa does not require the large deposits.  If married to Filipina and arrive with her you stay a year.  It is simpler.

Can you actually function there without a legit residency status? Things such as opening a bank account, renting apartments, getting utility and cell phone contracts, etc.? 

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Can you actually function there without a legit residency status? Things such as opening a bank account, renting apartments, getting utility and cell phone contracts, etc.? 

Yes as after (I believe six months) you get ID card as living there even if on tourist visa - the downside is you have to obtain an exit permit prior to leaving (not hard for most people).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Bomb was outside shopping area - security does check those that enter and in a known terrorist activity area.  Not many places in the world to 100% avoid except six feet underground and not sure why need to post that here - security is a concern anywhere and this was an terrorist event in an area travelers are advised to avoid so would not consider it a pro or con anymore than an event in Southern Thailand would be for most of country.

• 4 weeks later...

How about I put from people who have lost bed n Thailand then moved to the Philippines?  I certainly have met many living in the Philippines who travel to Thailand but that is not the same as living, seeing it from the prespective from someone who has lived in Thailand many years then moving to the Philippines would be interesting.  

1 hour ago, genobkk said:

How about I put from people who have lost bed n Thailand then moved to the Philippines?  I certainly have met many living in the Philippines who travel to Thailand but that is not the same as living, seeing it from the prespective from someone who has lived in Thailand many years then moving to the Philippines would be interesting.  

I've done both & contributed much about it over the years....Too much in depth involved, almost an essay......

People of means from the PI that have spent time in TH make a goal to one day live here.....

After spending living time in both I only go to the PI for "family" related visits - funeral/wedding, etc.....

I went to the PI first, then found TH.....Wouldn't even consider going back.....

Some of the expats I know that are there shrug and call it a ripe sh#thole - I can't disagree with that & I was positioned well there....

Edited by pgrahmm