What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

Daveyh

Pros:

1. Php Exchange rates to $ and £ and €

2. Easy tourist visa up to 3 year, take a 1 day trip out of country, and start on another 3 year tourist visas. 

No stress with changing visa laws.

3. The ladies who are very caring and will really take care of you. Find the right one, and you can totally trust her.

4. The people who are very friendly, and a Nation that's famous for hospitality.

5. English widely spoken and understood, although not 100%

Cons: 

1. Internet speed.

2. Hospitals.

3. Food.

4. Property rental prices.

5. Traffic jam.

6. Personal safety.

Always be polite, then even hostile situations can be avoided.

Many many foreigners come with a superior attitude against locals, shouting to them, using the 'f' word to them, in short, unacceptable behavior. Those foreigners end up in bad situations, we others don't.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

2. Easy tourist visa up to 3 year, take a 1 day trip out of country, and start on another 3 year tourist visas. 

No stress with changing visa laws.

4. Property rental prices.

Thanks for info can you confirm more on costs please.

What is cost of visa.

Read that property to rent in the less expensive towns say outskirts although basic start at 2000 peso month which is cheap.

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What is cost of visa.

For tourist visa extensions believe about $50 per month and $50 more per year for ACR card.

http://immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

51 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

For tourist visa extensions believe about $50 per month and $50 more per year for ACR card.

http://immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

Thanks there's a lot of confusing info out there, nothing about 3 year visa in Philippines, obviously OP lives there but gives none of the costs of his long stay. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

What is cost of visa.

Read that property to rent in the less expensive towns say outskirts although basic start at 2000 peso month which is cheap.

After the first month in country, one extend with 1 month for 3.120 peso (60$)

After 2 months in country, one can choose to extend with 1 or 2 or 6 months visa. At this point ine are also required to pay for ACR-I Card. If one choosed 6 month extension before, one can choose another 6 months tourist visa again.

After this one continue to extend with 1 or 2 months only, until one reach 36 month total.

Then leave the country and return next day, and start over again.

For 1 year stay with extensions, and required ACR-I Card, cost is around 25000 php or 500$ 

Regards

ExpatPH

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks there's a lot of confusing info out there, nothing about 3 year visa in Philippines, obviously OP lives there but gives none of the costs of his long stay. 

There is no 3 year visa, but one can extend up to 3 years total. See previous post.

SRRV visa is Philippines  equal to retirement visa.

Search SRRV Philippines for the latest requirements. 

I know the SRRV alternatives is to deposit 20.000$ or 10.000$ if one meet the requirements. This amount can later be used to buy a condo, or refund 20K/10K when one want to terminate SRRV.

Most prefer the easy tourist visa route, up to 3 years as mentioned.

No stress here with always changing Visa laws, it has stayed the same many years, only positive changes with added 6 months tourist visa alternative.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Thanks 1

Rentals example Cebu:

Yes one can find dirt cheap rent for 2000php 40$, but that is tiny 6-10 sqm bare concrete room maybe with a doble deck bed, no mattress, and nothing else, no fan, no aircon, shared bathroom. Never known one foreigner who can live like that.

Outskirts city 10000php 200$ is available, still a bare empty unit.

Province 1 hour or more from city, 5000php or 100$ gives a acceptable bare minimum room, dont expect anything else.

Most foreigners pay 15000 - 25000php 300-500$ for a ok furnished apartment here. Some have wifi, others dont.

Some have a 24-32 inch tv on the wall, others dont have tv.

In general apartments here are smaller 18-24 sqm, than in Thailand 28-32sqm.

Angeles city has lower rent, and more available units.

Cebu city has a building boom, but aimed towards units that rents for 22000 - 30000php / 400-600$.

The much better exchange rates here, 52php to the us dollar, make it easier to pay more, for more expensive rentals than in Thailand.

Will take time to write a longer 'Philippines for new expats' topic, this week, and go deeper into how life is here as a former Thailand expat.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 4:12 PM, ExpatPH said:

There is no 3 year visa, but one can extend up to 3 years total. See previous post.

SRRV visa is Philippines  equal to retirement visa.

Search SRRV Philippines for the latest requirements. 

I know the SRRV alternatives is to deposit 20.000$ or 10.000$ if one meet the requirements. This amount can later be used to buy a condo, or refund 20K/10K when one want to terminate SRRV.

Most prefer the easy tourist visa route, up to 3 years as mentioned.

No stress here with always changing Visa laws, it has stayed the same many years, only positive changes with added 6 months tourist visa alternative.

Regards

ExpatPH

So, just to confirm, there's absolutely NO element going on anywhere in the PH where Immigration is restricting expats' ability to continue renewing their tourist visas of various durations back to back?

I thought I had read about PH Immigration at Cebu Airport or elsewhere giving grief or denying entry to guys who were repeatedly coming back into the country on recurring tourist visas....

On 4/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, ExpatPH said:

Will take time to write a longer 'Philippines for new expats' topic, this week, and go deeper into how life is here as a former Thailand expat.

Thanks for the post on PH apartment rentals.

When you do post the "PH for new expats" topic thread, which I think would be a great thread to have here, please do post a link to it here in this thread, so folks who are following here will know what you've done elsewhere.....

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, just to confirm, there's absolutely NO element going on anywhere in the PH where Immigration is restricting expats' ability to continue renewing their tourist visas of various durations back to back?

I thought I had read about PH Immigration at Cebu Airport or elsewhere giving grief or denying entry to guys who were repeatedly coming back into the country on recurring tourist visas....

You are correct.

I have also been questioned at airport, because I had many enter exit stamps, and they can be suspicious that one is working here, without work permit.

I never been denied entry though, so that's the only unpleasant experience I had.

Elsewhere than airport, immigration offices are easy and much friendlier than in Thailand.

However, should mention that 1 foreigner became argumentative, rude and loud with a IO, and he was blacklisted.  Be polite and talk to the IO with 'Sir' and dont to same the fellow mentioned, and a really don't see any present or future danger, when dealing with immigration.

I repeat, only change in visa regulations here last decade, was positive for us visitors, when we could apply for 6 months extension after the first 2 months, and this can be done twice, within the first 16 months stay here.

I know expats who stayed here for more than 20 years on tourist visa. NO restictions.

• Thanks 1

The pro's are the girls you find in red light districts.

The con's are the ones who come up to you all smiles and say :

" hello again . Remember me , we met and the airport. Nice to see you again .....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

I repeat, only change in visa regulations here last decade, was positive for us visitors, when we could apply for 6 months extension after the first 2 months, and this can be done twice, within the first 16 months stay here.

Believe another positive was opening SRRV to former military without the normal monetary requirement (as was already the case for diplomats who served in PH).  Although the easy path is tourist visas, or if married entry with spouse for one year stay - there is this additional option available at a reasonable cost to a number of people if they wish to use.

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

• Thanks 1

It's weird.... I've never been to the Philippines. But I have known a fair number of Filipinos both in the U.S. and in Thailand.

And, I have this vague kind of feeling that living in the PH, and dealing with the PH people there, would involve a considerable mental and mindset change from what I've become accustomed to in Thailand over the years.

Not saying that's bad or insurmountable. Just I have this vague feeling like a potential relocation would involve more than just hanging my hat in a new place every night....  Kind of like a psyche re-adjustment process... :smile:

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's weird.... I've never been to the Philippines. But I have known a fair number of Filipinos both in the U.S. and in Thailand.

And, I have this vague kind of feeling that living in the PH, and dealing with the PH people there, would involve a considerable mental and mindset change from what I've become accustomed to in Thailand over the years.

Not saying that's bad or insurmountable. Just I have this vague feeling like a potential relocation would involve more than just hanging my hat in a new place every night....  Kind of like a psyche re-adjustment process... :smile:

Yeah it willneeds lots of adjustments for u Once u relocate to Phills because than u can talk with security guards, taxi drivers, girls in the malls etc  fluently perfectly in English while here in Thailand u always doing this in the Thailanguage so yes big psyche re-afjust proces ( for you) duhh

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 2:32 PM, watcharacters said:

I'd direct the OP to take a look at a few of the videos posted by this fellow.

I've not heard anyone gush more about the PI than he does.    He likes the simple life and focuses on what he sees as a low cost life style.

If nothing else a look at one or two of his videos offers some  degree of entertainment.

Isn't he a glowing reccomendstion. 

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yeah it willneeds lots of adjustments for u Once u relocate to Phills because than u can talk with security guards, taxi drivers, girls in the malls etc  fluently perfectly in English while here in Thailand u always doing this in the Thailanguage so yes big psyche re-afjust proces ( for you) duhh

I can understand that English fluency among the locals can be a big different PH to TH. But that's not really what I was talking about. I was more talking about what it's like interacting with the locals when they're TH vs PH. The quirks of Thais like not touching head, not pointing feet, careful about Buddha stuff, the general insularness of most Thais, their frequent aversion to directness, etc etc...

Thais and Filipinos may both be Asians and of Asian culture, but I tend to think they're really wired pretty differently. And then you throw the whole PH Catholic psychosis into the mix....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 10/31/2018 at 7:08 PM, watcharacters said:

If you looked at a few of the nut cake's videos you'd see he's an older fellow who enjoys assimilating in the Philippine culture, he leads a simple lifestyle, and he shares the company of more than a few nice looking ladies.

He's entertaining I think and not a bitter, complaining, old git.

Does that answer your question, Sir?

You mean sex tourist, right? 

On 11/1/2018 at 9:56 PM, Gruff said:

The integrity of taxi drivers very much depends where you are. Be aware whilst taxis from Cebu Airport are well controlled you will struggle to get a taxi from Manila airport to town without getting ripped off!

Indeed, there are people in airport uniforms with clipboards trying to charge you 4 times as much for a trip into Makati or bgc as the booth 2 meters away. 

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can understand that English fluency among the locals can be a big different PH to TH. But that's not really what I was talking about. I was more talking about what it's like interacting with the locals when they're TH vs PH. The quirks of Thais like not touching head, not pointing feet, careful about Buddha stuff, the general insularness of most Thais, their frequent aversion to directness, etc etc...

Thais and Filipinos may both be Asians and of Asian culture, but I tend to think they're really wired pretty differently. And then you throw the whole PH Catholic psychosis into the mix....

Well since there is no language barrier and since they have a simular religion as we do and since they been brought up by American tv such as Friends Seinfeld like we have and since they followed a schooling education program based on the American curriculum what problems u expect to run into with filipinos that u dont have with Thais? 

On 11/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, tropo said:

I have no idea why anyone would complain about repeats of this topic. Things are constantly changing in both countries and NOW is perfect timing as many expats (myself included) are starting to explore the idea of relocating. I've spent about 5 years full time over there and 12 years in Thailand.

Here's last months comparison of electricity pricing. I pay 2 bills every month, one here and one over there in PI.

PI: 245 kWh = 3,200 PHP (13 PHP per kWh) (Provincial - Visaya region)

TH: 845 kWh = 3,653 THB (4.32 THB per KWh)

At the current exchange rate of about 1 THB = 1.62 PHP that makes the price of electricity in PI about 63% more expensive than Thailand. Fortunately, we don't use aircon in PI.

Compare that provincial rate to the rate in bgc or Makati. Electricity is dear indeed. 

17 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well since there is no language barrier and since they have a simular religion as we do and since they been brought up by American tv such as Friends Seinfeld like we have and since they followed a schooling education program based on the American curriculum what problems u expect to run into with filipinos that u dont have with Thais? 

I never said anything about "problems". I just alluded to the potential mindset differences in suddenly dealing with a different culture of people (PH) after having dealt with and become accustomed to Thais over many years.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:56 PM, Gruff said:

The integrity of taxi drivers very much depends where you are. Be aware whilst taxis from Cebu Airport are well controlled you will struggle to get a taxi from Manila airport to town without getting ripped off!

Get a local SIM on arrival, step out of the terminal, and then use the grab car app.

Why is this still necessary to point out to people? It's been around for at least three years, all over Asia.

Except of course -Thailand!

Thank the AOT mafia, who barred them from Thai airports.

At least there are train or bus options in bangkok and phuket. 

• 2 years later...