Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 July 2019 17:40
Daveyh

What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

This is total nonsense. Just about everything has improved since Duterte took power, unless you're a corrupt cop or drug dealer. Poor people get more aid, hospitals are forced to treat people they used to turn away to die. Less young people are using drugs. Public offices are working better to serve people. The economy is growing too. He is not power hungry at all - he loves his people and he is very popular. He is not after money or power.

Do you really want to tell us that it is ok if a president of a country is murdering people for a good cause?

 

Even if his victims are drug dealers (all of them? who knows...), they should get a fair trial at court. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tropo said:

Let me make this clear. I first came here in 2005 and decided to try it out. That was a 2005 version of Thailand that has changed quite a bit since... all for the worse. If I had first come to Thailand in 2018, I wouldn't have stayed long. The 2018 version of Thailand and the 2018 version of PI are a lot closer. That's the reason I have been considering moving back for quite a few years. A few visa problems are all it will take to tip the scale. I've always predicted that at some time in the future I will end up back there.

Health care has gotten better and they direct bill American VA.  Good quality Brie has become easier to find.  The women seem to have gotten younger looking.  I'm doing a heck of a lot better now than when I moved here 20 years ago.  Restaurants have improved 100%.  Beer has improved even more.  A lot less drunk chavs staggering around.  I much better class of fat drunk expats than were here when I arrived.  I used to live in a one room cold water no AC walk up apt in Bangkok and now I have a large home with all the modern conveniences/wife/dog and AC, big TV and sound system.  Internet has increased in speed 500 times.  Movies on TV netflix are awsome now. There are hundreds of people posting on Thai Visa now crying their eyes out because they may have to leave.  What's not to like?  If you wanted bad government you should have been here in the late 60's early 70's.  Now is great by comparison. 

Edited by marcusarelus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tropo said:

This is total nonsense. Just about everything has improved since Duterte took power, unless you're a corrupt cop or drug dealer.

 

I'm not sure I'd go that far... Here's the most recent U.S. human rights report on the Philippines, with a summary excerpt below:

 

 

Quote

Extrajudicial killings have been the chief human rights concern in the country for many years and, after a sharp rise with the onset of the antidrug campaign in 2016, they continued in 2017. From January to the end of September, media reports chronicled more than 900 fatalities in police operations suspected to be connected with the government’s antidrug campaign. Police claimed to have begun investigations of all reports of extrajudicial killings. As of August, police claimed to have resolved 1,889 cases, and 4,373 remained under investigation.

The most significant human rights issues included: killings by security forces, vigilantes and others allegedly connected to the government, and by insurgents; torture and abuse of prisoners and detainees by security forces; often harsh and life threatening prison conditions; warrantless arrests by security forces and cases of apparent government disregard for legal rights and due process; political prisoners; killings of and threats against journalists; official corruption and abuse of power; threats of violence against human rights activists; violence against women; and forced labor.

 

Actually, now that I read this summary, it happens to sound a whole lot like another country we're all familiar with in almost all of those categories -- although the extrajudicial killings part is not so voluminous here, fortunately.

 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, andre47 said:

Do you really want to tell us that it is ok if a president of a country is murdering people for a good cause?

 

Even if his victims are drug dealers (all of them? who knows...), they should get a fair trial at court. 

Most of what you've read is merely anti-Duterte propaganda. He rejected the high and mighty USA in favour of local neighbours, the most noteworthy being China. He's definitely going to cop a lot of flak from Western countries he has rejected. Did the US help to secure PI rights to the Spratly Islands? NO! They did nothing. They just let China continue their island building and military fortification. They just got upset when he called their president a son of a bitch and that's all they could focus on. Trump met with Duterte and didn't even mention a "war on drugs".

 

Now, among his SE Asian counterparts, he's considered a rock star. He gets a lot of positive attention when he visits SE Asian countries.

 

As far as living in the PI is concerned, everything has improved under the Duterte Administration. It certainly hasn't got any worse. I have 3 brothers-in-law that were all using drugs they could buy at the local sari-sari store. They have been clean for 2 years now since Dutertu took power. Indirectly I was paying for their drug habits. Duterte helped me directly LOL.

 

You have no idea how bad the drug problem was when Duterte came to power.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here, btw, is the comparable 2017 summary for Thailand:

 

 

 

Quote

Numerous NCPO decrees limiting civil liberties, including restrictions on freedoms of speech, assembly, and the press, remained in effect during the year. NCPO Order No. 3/2015, which replaced martial law in March 2015, grants the military government sweeping power to curb “acts deemed harmful to national peace and stability.”

In addition to limitations on civil liberties imposed by the NCPO, the other most significant human rights issues included: excessive use of force by government security forces, including harassing or abusing criminal suspects, detainees, and prisoners; arbitrary arrests and detention by government authorities; abuses by government security forces confronting the continuing ethnic Malay-Muslim insurgency in the southernmost provinces of Yala, Narathiwat, Pattani, and parts of Songkhla; corruption; sexual exploitation of children; and trafficking in persons.

Authorities took some steps to investigate and punish officials who committed human rights abuses. Official impunity, however, continued to be a problem...

 

It's interesting that the Thailand summary from 2017, at least in the summary section, doesn't mention anything about prison conditions per se, nothing about detainee deaths under suspicious circumstances while in custody, doesn't use the term "political prisoners" as was used in the PH summary even though they clearly are occurring, doesn't mention "official corruption and abuse of power," doesn't mention violence against woman and human rights activists.

 

Although, the TH report does get into some of those details once you get beyond the summary:

 

Quote

Reports continued that security forces at times used excessive and lethal force against criminal suspects and committed or were involved in extrajudicial, arbitrary, and unlawful killings. According to the Ministry of Interior’s Investigation and Legal Affairs Bureau, from October 2016 to September, security forces--including police, military, and other agencies--killed 16 suspects during the arrest process, double the number killed in the previous year.

 

Still, on the last subject, TH remains far short of the heights that the PH has achieved when it comes to extrajudicial killings.

 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Health care has gotten better and they direct bill American VA.  Good quality Brie has become easier to find.  The women seem to have gotten younger looking.  I'm doing a heck of a lot better now than when I moved here 20 years ago.  Restaurants have improved 100%.  Beer has improved even more.  A lot less drunk chavs staggering around.  I much better class of fat drunk expats than were here when I arrived.  I used to live in a one room cold water no AC walk up apt in Bangkok and now I have a large home with all the modern conveniences/wife/dog and AC, big TV and sound system.  Internet has increased in speed 500 times.  Movies on TV netflix are awsome now. There are hundreds of people posting on Thai Visa now crying their eyes out because they may have to leave.  What's not to like?  If you wanted bad government you should have been here in the late 60's early 70's.  Now is great by comparison. 

I moved here in 2005, and nothing has improved. My accommodation was just as comfortable in 2005 as it is now.

 

Internet improvement is the same world over - this is an irrelevant measure. It has improved a lot in PI too and you can get very fast services in the big cities now.

 

This is a comparison thread. Pros and Cons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
47 minutes ago, tropo said:

This is total nonsense. Just about everything has improved since Duterte took power, unless you're a corrupt cop or drug dealer.

 

I'm not sure I'd go that far... Here's the most recent U.S. human rights report on the Philippines, with a summary excerpt below:

I actually mentioned, "unless you're a corrupt cop or drug dealer".

 

As far as an expat is concerned, they won't notice much difference from before Duterte came to power. If you're dealing drugs - watch your back!

 

If you're a poor Filipino, you will have improved welfare. He has done quite a bit to help the poor.

 

Of course, an expat won't likely see this aspect of the Duterte Administration. I don't associate with PI expats, but I see improvements in the Filipino community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tropo said:

I moved here in 2005, and nothing has improved. My accommodation was just as comfortable in 2005 as it is now.

 

Internet improvement is the same world over - this is an irrelevant measure. It has improved a lot in PI too and you can get very fast services in the big cities now.

 

This is a comparison thread. Pros and Cons.

Health care has gotten better in Thailand not in PI.  Food is much better here than in 2005.  I know.  I was here.  Beer is much better (sure it's expensive but the choice is here now).   

In terms of mobile internet speeds, the Philippines ranks 96th, down from 95th place last month. Mobile download speeds are now at 14.01 Megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds are at 5.99 Mbps.

int.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tropo said:

This is total nonsense. Just about everything has improved since Duterte took power, unless you're a corrupt cop or drug dealer.

 

Tropo, these groups listed below as targets for abuse in the PH aren't corrupt cops or drug dealers:

 

Quote

...political prisoners; killings of and threats against journalists; official corruption and abuse of power; threats of violence against human rights activists; violence against women; and forced labor.

 

Though I would concur, most of the above is not likely to fall upon the typical expat...  But it does reflect the character of the place.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Health care has gotten better in Thailand not in PI.  Food is much better here than in 2005.  I know.  I was here.  Beer is much better (sure it's expensive but the choice is here now).   

In terms of mobile internet speeds, the Philippines ranks 96th, down from 95th place last month. Mobile download speeds are now at 14.01 Megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds are at 5.99 Mbps.

int.png

That's only because most Filipinos using the Internet are quite poor compared to Thai users, and buy the cheapest services, but the fast services are as good or better than they are in Thailand. I can get 1 Gbps services in the big cities now. You'll also get better international speed to the USA than you will in Thailand.

 

Healthcare has improved for the average Filipino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Tropo, these groups listed below as targets for abuse in the PH aren't corrupt cops or drug dealers:

 

 

You're focusing on unsubstantiated reports from outside the Philippines, offered by anti-Duterte groups, including political rivals, from within the Philippines. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

 

But I'm mainly focusing on life in the Philippines in general - it has improved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's only because most Filipinos using the Internet are quite poor compared to Thai users, and buy the cheapest services, but the fast services are as good or better than they are in Thailand. I can get 1 Gbps services in the big cities now. You'll also get better international speed to the USA than you will in Thailand.

 

Healthcare has improved for the average Filipino.

My internet is 3 times as fast as my kids in America.  I get 250 mbps with no outages 3bb.  Like you said the people in PI are poor and all want to leave the country.  Thailand is rich in comparison and everybody wants to stay (see the 3 threads running now).  A good example is you are in Thailand even when you have a PI wife.  BTW is health care free in the PI when you have a job like it is in Thailand? Everyone tells me no.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2018 at 3:30 PM, whaleboneman said:

I’m on my third visit to PI and I really like it. But then I’m a beach bum and like to swim everyday. I’m really tired of the filthy Thai beaches.

 I’m not a big fan of the food as I’m a semi-vegetarian and they love their pork and beef here. Not to mention the psychedelic hotdogs...

I really love the people and it’s so nice to be able to converse with almost everyone. They seem to be genuinely friendly and very happy.

 I’m with a new gf on Mindanao and unlike my previous Thai gfs, she’s not after money. In fact, I keep encouraging her to shop for new clothes and she says she doesn’t need anything.

This morning I left 50 pesos on the bed for the maid and it was still there when I returned - on the newly made bed???

i tip the taxi drivers (who always use the meter) and they always look at me with surprise.

i have been to Cebu, Dumaguete, Siquijor and Palawan. Palawan was the only island I didn’t like.

i haven’t explored much of Mindanao yet but have a feeling it’s the island for me.

 

”building homes in SEA for one woman at a time”

Has she got a sister? :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andre47 said:

By the way...

The President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte is commanding killer groups and he treats the law with his feet. He is not far of being a dictator.

 

Think twice before moving to such a country.

Did it ever occur to you that Thailand is a military dictatorship! :post-4641-1156694572:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tropo said:

You're focusing on unsubstantiated reports from outside the Philippines, offered by anti-Duterte groups, including political rivals, from within the Philippines. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

 

That content I quoted to you is from the official U.S. State Department human rights report on the PH. You may not like the U.S., but their annual human rights reports are generally a fair barometer of what's going on country by country.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...