BANGKOK 23 April 2019 05:47
Daveyh

What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

IMHO the PI is like Thailand was 30 years ago in a lot of ways. There are some really great places in the PI that you can live very cheaply and stay for as long as you like with lots of cheap entertainment. Thailand has got a lot more expensive, the Baht is stronger and rules are being enforced. Yes, health is better and the infrastructure is good. But I kinda liked the old Thailand that I discovered 30 years ago. The girls back then also wanted out, just like the girls in the PI now.

Disclaimer: For now I live in Thailand, but I try to be objective.

1 hour ago, andre47 said:

Do you really want to tell us that it is ok if a president of a country is murdering people for a good cause?

Donald Trump is a total a**hole. Did that stop me from spending a month in the USA and enjoying it immensely? No. Would it stop me from living in the USA if I wanted to (and if I could afford the health insurance)? No.

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Like you said the people in PI are poor and all want to leave the country.  Thailand is rich in comparison and everybody wants to stay (see the 3 threads running now).

Does that include the 10,000+ Thais recently deported from S Korea for overstaying their visas?

9 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Thailand has got a lot more expensive, the Baht is stronger

I agree that Thailand has got a lot more expensive in the past few years,especially for Thai produce, which i think is ridiculous.

The currency however is been weaker against almost every other world currency prior 1997. That year, and the few years afterwards,  was an extreme and should not be taken as a benchmark.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Does that include the 10,000+ Thais recently deported from S Korea for overstaying their visas?

He was talking about foreigners, not Thai hookers who were tricked into a lucrative employment in Korea

13 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Donald Trump is a total a**hole. Did that stop me from spending a month in the USA and enjoying it immensely? No. Would it stop me from living in the USA if I wanted to (and if I could afford the health insurance)? No.

You are funny....

yes DT is a AH, but not a murder (as far I know 🙂 )

31 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Did it ever occur to you that Thailand is a military dictatorship! :post-4641-1156694572:

I did not write that in Thailand is everything perfect, but as far as I know the government here is not killing thousands of people.

1 minute ago, andre47 said:

I did not write that in Thailand is everything perfect, but as far as I know the government here is not killing thousands of people.

You must have missed the news about the thousands of drug suspects being killed, same as what is going on now in the Philippines, under Thaksin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andre47 said:

I will give you a challenge. Ask any expat in the PI if life is better in the PI since D30. 99% will say it is better. Ask the locals and every single one I have met in the PI and in other countries agree. Sometimes drastic measures are needed to stop certain activities in these places. Corruption is still rife as it is here, but the drug problem has been curtailed in a big way and life for the majority of those in the PI is better.

I will also say that the MD here in Thailand have improved many things, but unfortunately they are not really helping the poorest 80%.

9 hours ago, rhodie said:

Has she got a sister? :smile:

Sorry, three brothers. If you change sexual orientation, give me a call.

• Haha 1

The Subic area is all I know about PI, was there 70's and 80's off and on. Back when Olongapo was the Pearl of the Orient. A truly outrageous time. Started visiting again in 2006 till now. It was sort of sad to see what became of the US Navy Base. Barrio Barretto is a fun place. But...….anymore I feel like I have a bullseye on me there. Taxi's are always on the Con, meters are never used. Small things there really get on my nerves. Everyone calls you "Sir", soooo many ladies have this wart next to their nose....why is that? They do speak English, but with an extremely irritating accent.

The upside for me is eating out. Delicious Tuna steak dinners for $10. Cheap beers.

A taxi from Manilla Airport to Subic will run about $100. and can take anywhere between 2-5 hrs depending on traffic

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

He was talking about foreigners, not Thai hookers who were tricked into a lucrative employment in Korea

No, he was talking about natives. See my quote.

And those Thai "tourists" are also foreigners when abroad.

so to summarize, the people are friendlier but the roads, supermarkets and hospitals are worse. as someone who moved from Pattaya to Cambodia because starbucks, hooters and mcdonalds and seeing police everywhere doesnt interest me, and as I have no interest in living in a western condo and driving to a supermarket, and have never visited a hospital, are there any other reasons I might not like living in the Philippines? 

Edited by phycokiller

2 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

so to summarize, the people are friendlier but the roads, supermarkets and hospitals are worse. as someone who moved from Pattaya to Cambodia because starbucks, hooters and mcdonalds dont interest me, and as I have no interest in living in a western condo and driving to a supermarket, and have never visited a hospital, are there any other reasons I might not like living in the Philippines? 

Christians.  Too many of them there.  Don't trust them.  Dangerous people.  Look at history. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 2