Koh Samet Says No More Plastic Bags Or Styrofoam On Island

webfact

Koh Samet Says No More Plastic Bags Or Styrofoam On Island

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

201611201505202-20021028190457-696x522.j

A file photo of tourists arriving on Koh Samet.

RAYONG — The top parks official on Koh Samet said Wednesday that plastic bags and styrofoam will no longer be welcome there as of tomorrow.

In a bid to reduce the amount of plastic waste, the chief of the Khao Laem Ya–Mu Ko Samet National Park said tote bags have been distributed to all island residents, and those found using plastic bags and styrofoam containers will face fines. Tourists are unlikely to be penalized, for now.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/10/31/koh-samet-says-no-more-plastic-bags-or-styrofoam-on-island/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-31

you can't fine tourists if they have plastic bags before getting to the Island, all you can do is stop them coming to the Island with them.

While on the Island they are not going to get any are they unless of course they stop checking on the mainland

what is a tote bag ?

53 minutes ago, smedly said:

you can't fine tourists if they have plastic bags before getting to the Island, all you can do is stop them coming to the Island with them.

While on the Island they are not going to get any are they unless of course they stop checking on the mainland

what is a tote bag ?

Canvas shopping bags ..................:thumbsup:

image.jpeg.4f418040d4236975873c8df418c2c3d4.jpeg

1 minute ago, HappyAndRich said:

Great action. Just hope it gets implemented all over Thailand. Stopped use plastic bags 3 years ago, and have not touched one since.

Hope it get implemented all over the WORLD.

When I went diving in Phuket there was so much plastic and other rubbish on the reef and seabed.  

4 hours ago, cookieqw said:

are their no food vendors on the island then ?   

There are very, very many.

I have been visiting Samet about twice a year for 18 years.

My last visit was in January (before the ban on plastic/foam, I think). Food vendors on the beaches were still using styrofoam, 7/11 and other shops giving plastic carrier bags - all as normal in Thailand.

Most beaches are pretty clean, but walk just 50m inland and the rubbish (mainly plastic) is everywhere.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who visits in the next few weeks/months whether this policy is being enforced. I hope so.

Ah Ko Samet.  back in December 04 on my second trip to Thailand me and my friends were on Ko Samet the morning of the Tsunami.  We had by chance changed our original reservations that were for Phuket to Ko Samet!  Couldn't believe the news in the morning when we woke up.  

On 10/31/2018 at 11:31 PM, chickenslegs said:

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who visits in the next few weeks/months whether this policy is being enforced. I hope so

I can promise you the street vendors will still hand out food and drinks in plastic bags, there will be no change. This is just another big words from Thai officials which will not work everywhere. The hotels and beaches it will probably work , but not among the locals who lives there. Everyone has to eat and all the food is put inside plastic bags. 

Archived