Renting from a condo owner, more hassles? Better through an agent?

I've come across a condo I'm interested in, but the ad and communication is directly from the owner. I'm wondering if others had issues renting directly from an owner or is it better to find another unit in the same building but from an agent? That way any problems/issues etc. you can liase with the agent and they can press the owner if need be.

I think it all depends on who the owner and agent are. You can find good examples of both, and bad examples too. Get the wrong one and you may have problems regardless of which way you go.

Personal recommendation of the owner or agent from someone you know might be best.

In my view you need someone local to you who has the authority to deal with any issues.

i.e Water Heaters that have stopped working

Toilets that continually internally leak.

Remote controls that  fail to perform. etc.etc.

Suspect that agents lack this authority.

If the owner is not around -then seek accomodation else where-or agree that  you will take care of everything -for a reduced rent.

Why would an agent add anything that would help you as a prospective tenant? 

In every country in the world rental agents act 1) for themselves and (a long way back)  2) the customer who is paying their fee, ie the landlord. The tenant is irrelevant.

Thai rental agents are just the same. (Only more so!)

You would almost certainly get a better deal by negotiating direct with the owner.

Everyone I know who has experience of renting in Thailand would prefer to deal directly with an owner. Be prepared to do a bit of work yourself until you get to know how things are, get your own legal help to check the contract and you should be fine. 

A Thai agent would add nothing and likely ensure that you pay more than you need.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:45 PM, KittenKong said:

I think it all depends on who the owner and agent are. You can find good examples of both, and bad examples too. Get the wrong one and you may have problems regardless of which way you go.

Personal recommendation of the owner or agent from someone you know might be best.

Forget it. AGENT only. Safe you will get your deposit back. Owner will try to keep it

The Agent is only relevant if she is prepared to act as a housekeeper.  If the owner is a foreigner, he will likely delegate the housekeeping duty to an agent who has accessed to maids and technicians.  Otherwise, you have already found a condo and the owner.  Why would you still need an Agent ?

I have rented 2 different condos in the same complex dealing directly with the owners, any repairs needed other than normal wear and tear have always been fixed immediately and I got better rent deals than others I know in the same complex who used an agent. Maybe I have been lucky.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:00 AM, Media1 said:

Forget it. AGENT only. Safe you will get your deposit back. Owner will try to keep it

Most agents, at least as far as I am aware , will simply pass on your deposit to the landlord and leave everything to him/her, once they have deducted their agents fee, obviously. It not like they act as some kind of honest broker!

2 hours ago, wordchild said:

Most agents, at least as far as I am aware , will simply pass on your deposit to the landlord and leave everything to him/her, once they have deducted their agents fee, obviously. It not like they act as some kind of honest broker!

Worse: it isn't unheard of for agents to rent out properties without ever notifying or paying the owner at all, and to vanish with the rental money and the deposit.

On November 1, 2561 BE at 8:51 PM, wordchild said:

Why would an agent add anything that would help you as a prospective tenant? 

In every country in the world rental agents act 1) for themselves and (a long way back)  2) the customer who is paying their fee, ie the landlord. The tenant is irrelevant.

Thai rental agents are just the same. (Only more so!)

You would almost certainly get a better deal by negotiating direct with the owner.

Everyone I know who has experience of renting in Thailand would prefer to deal directly with an owner. Be prepared to do a bit of work yourself until you get to know how things are, get your own legal help to check the contract and you should be fine. 

A Thai agent would add nothing and likely ensure that you pay more than you need.

Thai agents i know spend years after the leasing helping the tenant out. This is especially true when expats come over with companies and families. The agents show them around schools, neighbourhoods, 10's of properties, hospitals etc. Even after the leasing is completed and their job complete they continue to help (normally) the lady of the house do everyday tasks for years after.

As in any country there are good and bad in all professions.

Archived