Thai woman driver fined for lane changing - but checkout the location of her car!

webfact

On 11/2/2018 at 12:08 AM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Can someone explain why changing lane is illegal here? 

Fair enough when exiting a junction and you are trying to skip the queue at the last second. 

But on a normal road with no exit for miles? 

he/she crossed a solid white line which is illegal, clearly there to stop queue jumpers as it selfish but may well be dangerous at that place.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posting this a week after the article was posted here, and having read all the posts, it seems to me what has been overlooked is the process of reading the number plate.

So many posters have said how in other countries the system reads the the number plate automatically, I believe that. I can only say that in the UK I know it is true.

What has been missed is that we are in Thailand, not other countries. I have searched and not been able to find any information regarding automatic reading of Thai number plates.

I honestly believe this has not yet been achieved. If someone can provide information to the contrary, I’m willing to be corrected.

Look how difficult it is for software to read Thai number plates:

Firstly, it needs to recognise Thai letters and all the province names. It’s not only the index letters and numbers that need to be read, but also the province, written at the bottom of the plate. Without that it’s impossible to trace the owner.

Then there’s the difficultly of reading different coloured plates automatically. Apart from different colour letters on a white background, used to denote different class of vehicle, there are plenty of low-contrast plates – especially the red plate with black letters, used for new vehicles. (These are still being issued, despite the DLT stating that by July this year no more whatsoever were to be issued)

There are tourist vehicles – white letters on a green background. Taxis - black letters on a yellow background. Vanity plates with a patterned background. The list is endless.

As well as being extremely difficult to read the number plates automatically, it needs to retrieve the owner’s details.

Perhaps there has been some progress regarding accessing number plate data automatically – even on a province-by-province basis would be good, let alone nationally? Is some of it - or all of it, accessible by computer? I don’t know.

This explains colinneil’s post #42: “A few weeks ago when they launched the cameras system fining people for incorrect lane changes, it showed the control room photos of an operator taking the details off the system and then writing the tickets..... Manually.”

On 11/1/2018 at 4:49 PM, rkidlad said:

So it prints a letter, folds it, puts in an envelope and mails it out? 

Indeed, just like the bills people that live in Thailand get from their Electricity Authorities, and from Internet and Telephone companies.
Amazing isn't it,
how time flies.

15 minutes ago, KKr said:

Indeed, just like the bills people that live in Thailand get from their Electricity Authorities, and from Internet and Telephone companies.
Amazing isn't it,
how time flies.

Not amazing at all. we've already established this isn't the process with how fines are sent out by the police. An officer is/was already under investigation for his conduct in his processing of this fine. 

23 minutes ago, KKr said:

Amazing isn't it,
how time flies.

See my post #92 - and the last sentence:

This explains colinneil’s post #42: “A few weeks ago when they launched the cameras system fining people for incorrect lane changes, it showed the control room photos of an operator taking the details off the system and then writing the tickets..... Manually.”

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:
5 hours ago, KKr said:

Amazing isn't it,
how time flies.

See my post #92 - and the last sentence:

I asked for the source but poster never replied, therefore source unverified.

At the end of the day back home this business is conducted electronically and is entirely automated.

I realise there are quite a lot of old folks here and well done for your longevity, but please understand this is done by machines normally.

3 minutes ago, VYCM said:

At the end of the day back home this business is conducted electronically and is entirely automated.

I realise there are quite a lot of old folks here and well done for your longevity, but please understand this is done by machines normally.

Bkk Post. You were told the Bkk Post. If you’d like more help in searching for something easy, type in ‘Bangkok Post police mocked for ticket mix-up’ into google Thai. 

Don’t simply claim its unverified. You were told before. Let’s have an honest discussion. 

21 minutes ago, rkidlad said:
29 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Bkk Post. You were told the Bkk Post. If you’d like more help in searching for something easy, type in ‘Bangkok Post police mocked for ticket mix-up’ into google Thai. 

Don’t simply claim its unverified. You were told before. Let’s have an honest discussion. 

When you’re asked for the source you must provide a link or something similar. You may as well say it was written on the world wide web (www). Be specific and show the information.

Yes Thailand is unique in the way they do things and it wouldn’t surprise if they are doing this manually, very labour intensive job, the manpower would be very high.

21 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I believe very little of what I am told, I understand there are many immature people out there that believe everything that they are told.

5 minutes ago, VYCM said:

When you’re asked for the source you must provide a link or something similar. You may as well say it was written on the world wide web (www). Be specific and show the information.

Yes Thailand is unique in the way they do things and it wouldn’t surprise if they are doing this manually, very labour intensive job, the manpower would be very high.

I believe very little of what I am told, I understand there are many immature people out there that believe everything that they are told.

You’re not allowed to paste links directly to the Bkk Post. I’ve shown you how to find the link. What you do next is up to you. Read the story or continue as if this is an opinion in order to not appear to be wrong. 

8 minutes ago, VYCM said:
31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

All I could find was an article from May showing an officer looking at a screen.
Manual verification? could be until the error rate is known or to improve upon the algorithms,
although in testing that should have come out already.
In any case, that has nothing to do with writing tickets manually. 
Inaccurate reporting (cannot call this rag journalism) more likely ...

10 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Not quite. VYCM explained how to find it via google.

The reason for that is TV do not allow links or direct quotes from certain publications, due to copyright, etc. Bangkok Post is one we are not allowed to link to.

1 minute ago, KKr said:

All I could find was an article from May showing an officer looking at a screen.
Manual verification? could be until the error rate is known or to improve upon the algorithms,
although in testing that should have come out already.
In any case, that has nothing to do with writing tickets manually. 
Inaccurate reporting (cannot call this rag journalism) more likely ...

The link is for this story. It states the police officer who issued the ticket is under investigation. 

"
Deputy police spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen said on Thursday that Traffic Police Sub-Division 4 reported the ticket had been issued by an officer monitoring surveillance camera footage. 
"
This link ?

I read three questions in this statement:
monitoring surveillance camera footage:  How many cameras / locations simultaneously ?
what is the level of authority;
 (i) override a flawed computer decision, or (ii) actively decide and take action ?
what are the control mechanisms on
(a) missing an infraction  (b) missing an override (c) erroneously registering an infraction ? 

and nothing about writing a ticket.

49 minutes ago, KKr said:

"
Deputy police spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen said on Thursday that Traffic Police Sub-Division 4 reported the ticket had been issued by an officer monitoring surveillance camera footage. 
"
This link ?

I read three questions in this statement:
monitoring surveillance camera footage:  How many cameras / locations simultaneously ?
what is the level of authority;
 (i) override a flawed computer decision, or (ii) actively decide and take action ?
what are the control mechanisms on
(a) missing an infraction  (b) missing an override (c) erroneously registering an infraction ? 

and nothing about writing a ticket.

If the ticket being issued is 'fully-automated', then the police officer in question shouldn't be under any investigation at all. Also, he has nothing to worry about.

The fact he is under investigation might be a good indication that he issued a ticket without due care and attention, or he basically tried to pull a fast one. Whether he physically wrote the ticket with a feather and in his own blood and the envelope sealed with wax, or it was all done for him and all he had to do was look at it and send it out makes no difference. He issued the ticket.

Archived