What HEALTHY imported food do you eat ?

l4ml4m

Dried fruit like prunes, raisins and apricots. And nuts. I think those are reasonably healthy. And cheese isn't bad for you (in moderation). Also good quality French frozen peas from BigC, not the frozen cannonballs some supermarkets sell.

salmon, avocados, apples, grapes, blueberries, almonds, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, Japanese sweet potatoes, oatmeal, oat bran, quinoa, flax seed, olives, cinnamon, olive oil, almond milk, Greek yogurt, 90% dark chocolate , protein powder.   

less healthy includes ground beef, gluten free pasta, corn flakes, gluten free rice and corn chips.   

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, NCC1701A said:

salmon, avocados, apples, grapes, blueberries, almonds, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, Japanese sweet potatoes, oatmeal, oat bran, quinoa, flax seed, olives, cinnamon, olive oil, almond milk, Greek yogurt, 90% dark chocolate , protein powder.   

less healthy includes ground beef, gluten free pasta, corn flakes, gluten free rice and corn chips.   

what mainstream stores have you found for instance ground flax seed?  do big c or Tesco have any of these products

26 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

what mainstream stores have you found for instance ground flax seed?  do big c or Tesco have any of these products

Villa Market and Gourmet Market. I have never looked for these things in Tesco or Big C or Tops.

You can search products online at Big C, Villa Market and maybe Tops. They have apps also.

38 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Villa Market and Gourmet Market. I have never looked for these things in Tesco or Big C or Tops.

You can search products online at Big C, Villa Market and maybe Tops. They have apps also.

You must be a wealthy guy shopping at Villa - things like  550 baht a kilo for imported celeriac- which I like but can do without . Tops definitely has flax seeds ( never eaten one ) 

My shopping list would always include olives - buy them  loose at one of our Italian delis- Parma ham, Decent Parmesan - a  must.

Anchovies, Pasta , Aussie beef , Lea & Perrins sauce, lots of weird Korean goodies, spices 

Apples- dried fruit and nuts. 

Pink salt, various mustards etc etc 

Pickes, chutneys - no make my own, but you still need imported vinegar - green and sweet mango chutney- easy to make and inexpensive. Being a pesky Brit , I like picked onions- takes time! 

Anchor butter 

Is Gin counted as a food ? Not so healthy of course . 

I think in reponse to the OP, if you are a keen cook- you need the imported ingredients.

Thai is very good, but every day becomes a bit boring - there is only so much pla ra that you can stomach . 

Do I buy chips, biscuits, cakes, frozen pizzas,etc etc what I would call junk food full of additives, preservatives and spooky chemicals - no 

27 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

You must be a wealthy guy shopping at Villa - things like  550 baht a kilo for imported celeriac- which I like but can do without . Tops definitely has flax seeds ( never eaten one ) 

My shopping list would always include olives - buy them  loose at one of our Italian delis- Parma ham, Decent Parmesan - a  must.

Anchovies, Pasta , Aussie beef , Lea & Perrins sauce, lots of weird Korean goodies, spices 

Apples- dried fruit and nuts. 

Pink salt, various mustards etc etc 

Pickes, chutneys - no make my own, but you still need imported vinegar - green and sweet mango chutney- easy to make and inexpensive. Being a pesky Brit , I like picked onions- takes time! 

Anchor butter 

Is Gin counted as a food ? Not so healthy of course . 

I think in reponse to the OP, if you are a keen cook- you need the imported ingredients.

Thai is very good, but every day becomes a bit boring - there is only so much pla ra that you can stomach . 

Do I buy chips, biscuits, cakes, frozen pizzas,etc etc what I would call junk food full of additives, preservatives and spooky chemicals - no 

"you must be a wealthy guy shopping at Villa". You never said a truer word, The greed

of that store is outrageous. 

6 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

You must be a wealthy guy shopping at Villa

I live in Hua Hin. I eat very healthy and don't drink. When I go grocery shopping I start at the big Tesco Lotus . they have whole BBQ chickens for 139 baht which becomes two meals. and grapes at 50 baht a kilo and frozen salmon at 79 baht a piece. eggs for like 60 baht. Their tomatoes are terrible so I go to Villa Market and buy large tomatoes about 20 baht each, spinach and kale 27 baht, Japanese sweet potatoes 149 baht a kilo, broccoli, best source of ground beef in HH . I make a healthy breakfast with everything in bold.

Makro and Big C are far from me so convenience and selection wins out. I try to eat super foods when I can. No bread. Spaghetti once a month that I make. Lots of Thai food that is seafood, pork or chicken.

No white refined sugar. No cake.

Year to date I have spent a total of 123,356 baht on food or 12,335 baht a month on average. I live alone. I have no idea if this is high or low. This cost does not include meals with my girlfriends as that goes in another category.  

Hello,

The sum announced is a good average.
It is amusing to see how someone is cataloged according to where they shop.
Tesco does not have all the products or the choice is very limited.
eg at VILLA MARKET, the excellent raw milk camembert is at 252 B,
the President in portion (foul) is over 400 B at TESCO
At VILLA MARKET as at TESCO, the French Emmental is at the same price.
Mozzarella is cheaper at VILLA MARKET, same product.
Certainly, sweet potatoes are much more expensive to VILLA MARKET, because they are much better (orange color inside).
It all depends on what you want to do with it.
So, yes, let's dare other stores if we find the pleasure of eating better.
That's also the pleasure of the table.
Ah! yes, I only buy good grape wine
and not piquette.
Otherwise, I'm happy with the water.

Cheese. Mostly American cheese. I'm not saying other countries cheese is bad. I am just partial to the taste of American cheese. 

Like Philidelphia cream cheese, although not really cheese. It just tastes too different if from Australia.

Also real baked beans. Not pork and beans.

Archived