cost to study nursing at government university?

notrub

My GF's younger sister would like to study to become a qualified nurse.  She has the grades to be accepted at Nakhon Ratchasima Rajabhat University as a first year student so it is just a matter of financing her studies to completion and graduation.  This university is government funded and she is a Thai national, resident in the area and does not come from a wealthy family.  Could anyone provide me with a rough idea of what this would cost per month or annually please?  A breakdown by section would be great, even a rough guess.  such as

Tuition

cost of living on or near campus at the university (not at home with parents)

general overheads including clothes and other needs that a young woman might require (not high end stuff)

cost of any special equipment required other than a computer and telephone

One off memberships or other costs that could come as a surprise.

I have no idea of what I might be letting myself in for and I do not have unlimited funds.  It is a worthwhile undertaking and she is a serious young woman and I am sure she would make the effort to succeed.

As many of us are aware, a university education in some countries can leave the student impoverished for many decades following graduation.  Or not, if they are lucky enough to live in Scotland or other forward thinking country, for example.

Can anyone take a stab at coming up with a figure that I could build on please?  I could come up with an idea of what I could be letting myself in for. Also to figure out if I can even hope to afford it at all.

Any comments will be welcome and thank you in advance.

Should apply to a MOPH  Boromarajoni College of Nursing in the area...   There is one in the area.. She must have known about this... They do a good job of training the nurses. She would live at the dorms and expenses are much cheaper...

22 hours ago, notrub said:

Nakhon Ratchasima Rajabhat University as a first year student

Rajabhat University fees are around 10kbht/term (2 terms in a year)

books and uniforms another 4Kbht/year

Accommodation less than 1,000bht/month (they share 2/3/4 to a room)

Food and spending money around 100bht/school day (2k/month).

Total cost 60kbht/year (5k/month)

I've got a kid in Rat uni at the moment, and that's what it costs me.

But there's no reason your gfs sister needs to be given a free ride, many of the students on my kids course serve in Thai beer bars in the evenings and make enough to pay their own way.

If her family are poor, she can also get a government loan to cover most costs.

PS

No grades required to get into Rat Uni, if they got a high school diploma and the money for the course they're in.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:29 PM, Rhys said:

Should apply to a MOPH  Boromarajoni College of Nursing in the area...   There is one in the area.. She must have known about this... They do a good job of training the nurses. She would live at the dorms and expenses are much cheaper...

My wife was the Director of that college but has since transferred. I will ask her tomorrow. I don't think the fees are high at all. 

• 1 month later...

Check if it's possible for her to take the government loan for studying (i don't know what the exact name for this is, but probably you can find it on google), if she can get this loan then just let her (or her family) handle this by themself and stay out of it.

My ex GF used such a loan to study nursing at a private university and it seemed quite reasonable to me. She loaned about 500k and had to start paying back the loan after having finished her studies for 2 years, but nurses in the private sector earn quite good in Thailand, when she had to start paying back the loan she made already nearly 30k per month + bonus, so no big deal to pay the loan back at 10k a month and be done with it after a few years.

Archived