Khon kaen - best areas and why?

Rc2702

I try to get round khon kaen a lot and learn about the area when I'm there. It's difficult but I cram in about 5 days of intensive driving round as soon as I arrive from HK pretty much most months and have been doing this for virtually a year.

People talk highly of the area by bueng kaen nakorn but all I see is a lovely park next to a bunch of crappy small roads which look dangerous. Chim phli and photisan. The park is nice though. 

Seems like a bit of a village feel in that neck of the woods with a lot of shabby houses and then you have this big development on top of development with new builds but I do wonder how far the local shops are. Looks far. Looks very quiet in some of those housing estates.

Recently checked out adunyaram which appears directed towards the uni crowd given the proximity. Seems lively round there with a lot of young free spending students. Very clean in that neck of the woods and looks very buoyant for trade of all sorts. Every coffee shop was busy and this was a Saturday when most people head to the flea market I was told.

Had a lovely burger there from an Irish lads bistro. Unfortunately he closed down which I thought was weird given the area looks like it has as much footfall as central and his pricing was more than friendly.

Recently went to adunyaram again to a top cafe called sri brown cafe. Had some pizzas that made me sure I'll never visit any other place for pizza again. Nothing compares to those pizzas to date.

We have a lot more to learn about khon kaen so please feel free to educate us on other areas which you like or even dislike in KK.

Beung Kaen Nakorn is great for a walk around or a few laps with the bicycle. The surrounding roads are a little busy but drive carefully and be patient and it's fine. I like the market every afternoon/evening.

We like to go to Ton Tan market in the evening. There is a bar up on a platform where I like to enjoy a beer or two and survey the scene while my wife browses the market.

Our favourite local bar/restaurant is on Glang Meuang near the corner with Ammart. There are three restaurant/bars in a row. Very good food and very reasonable prices.

We also like one of the bars near Tawan Deang. Salad Bar.

Outside Khon Kaen you have Ubolratana. It's a lovely drive if you approach it from the southern end and drive north along the shore towards the wall. There are dozens of lakeside restaurants and I intend to hire one of the big party boats one day for a family day on the water.

We found a great badminton 'club' called Jayathip a few kilometres north east from the centre but still within the ring road.

I've cycled all around the ring road few times. There's such a wide hard shoulder and it's in such good condition that it's safe and easy to circumnavigate the city. Obviously early in the morning when it's not too hot and one gets to see some surrounding countryside and a bit of rural life.

My wife's parents live in Mancha Khiri, about 60 kilometres from KK so that's an ideal distance from my point of view. We can visit them regularly but they can't pop round to us. I've cycled there from KK as well.

KK has everything I could want. I'm a huge fan.

Oh, nearly missed the point - we lived just off Soi Ratchakarn. Close enough to walk to the city centre but we normally drove. This area is fairly quiet and easily accessible. Beung Thung Sang and the health garden are only just over 1 kilometre away and a pleasant walk.

1 hour ago, paulsingle said:

We found a great badminton 'club' called Jayathip a few kilometres north east from the centre but still within the ring road.

There is also a badminton facility at (owned by) KK Ram Hospital.

It's available for the public to use.  8 courts available at Jayathip.  9 courts at KK Ram.

On 11/3/2018 at 8:10 AM, paulsingle said:

Beung Kaen Nakorn is great for a walk around or a few laps with the bicycle. The surrounding roads are a little busy but drive carefully and be patient and it's fine. I like the market every afternoon/evening.

We like to go to Ton Tan market in the evening. There is a bar up on a platform where I like to enjoy a beer or two and survey the scene while my wife browses the market.

Our favourite local bar/restaurant is on Glang Meuang near the corner with Ammart. There are three restaurant/bars in a row. Very good food and very reasonable prices.

We also like one of the bars near Tawan Deang. Salad Bar.

Outside Khon Kaen you have Ubolratana. It's a lovely drive if you approach it from the southern end and drive north along the shore towards the wall. There are dozens of lakeside restaurants and I intend to hire one of the big party boats one day for a family day on the water.

I've cycled all around the ring road few times. There's such a wide hard shoulder and it's in such good condition that it's safe and easy to circumnavigate the city. Obviously early in the morning when it's not too hot and one gets to see some surrounding countryside and a bit of rural life.

My wife's parents live in Mancha Khiri, about 60 kilometres from KK so that's an ideal distance from my point of view. We can visit them regularly but they can't pop round to us. I've cycled there from KK as well.

KK has everything I could want. I'm a huge fan.

Oh, nearly missed the point - we lived just off Soi Ratchakarn. Close enough to walk to the city centre but we normally drove. This area is fairly quiet and easily accessible. Beung Thung Sang and the health garden are only just over 1 kilometre away and a pleasant walk.

Much of the same for as, I like going to the dam for the same reasons as above, during festival such as Songkran there are event there\

,image.thumb.png.0d5847e6d1f6c166f70333c35dc8b19f.png

Restaurant at the dam , not the greatest food but nice view, Mother in law likes it there

image.thumb.png.79ca8921f182a7842c5f19c68efc12e9.png

image.thumb.png.f14e1483be838ee517313a39964c91b9.pngNearby there is a wat on top of the mountain with a huge Buddha on it, the view is great

image.thumb.png.01d25b3a28705f482368e581f42120df.pngHuts bu the water where you can have a cold beer and food while watching the kids play in the water

Not too far Cobra village, good for a days outing

image.thumb.png.7c2a004589fad8f729a22e048e41fbb4.png

Ton Tan market in the evening, as  mentioned above by Paulesingle who if keep going there will not remain so for long, (plenty of pretty young ladies there) There is an all you can eat , buffet style barbeque where you cook your own food at you table. Nice place to hung out with friends.  not too far at the same marke there is also live music.

Nice park bu Khon Kaen Lake. sometimes we like to stay at the BB hotel across the street and when we do we always take a leisurely walk through the park .

I walked to the top of them steps to the temple. It’s a long hike. 

My girlfriend did it too with me and when we got to the top there were cars parked there. We never new you could get there by car and left

ours at the bottom. 

Shes never forgiven me. 

I love Ton Tan market and that bbq is the best. 

On 11/5/2018 at 12:08 PM, Kadilo said:

I walked to the top of them steps to the temple. It’s a long hike. 

My girlfriend did it too with me and when we got to the top there were cars parked there. We never new you could get there by car and left

ours at the bottom. 

Shes never forgiven me. 

I love Ton Tan market and that bbq is the best. 

Funny you would say that

I also made it to the top huffing and puffing only to notice the parked cars and had the same reaction as your wife. My wife was laughing her head of.

Though thinking about it .the klimb was half the fun.

This spring my sistet from the US is commIng to visit.i will take her there and make her climb the stairs but first i will make sure i am in her will LOL

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Funny you would say that

I also made it to the top huffing and puffing only to notice the parked cars and had the same reaction as your wife. My wife was laughing her head of.

This spring my sistet from the US is commIng to visit.i will take her there and make her climb the stairs but first i will make sure i am in her will LOL

We went up on a very hot humid day. I was on a mission so just kept going. When I looked back I saw a green umbrella about half way down with my girlfriend sitting down under it lol. When she finally got to the top she was dripping wet bless. 

Yes best not tell her about the car route before you get to the top!

On 11/9/2018 at 2:30 AM, sirineou said:

Funny you would say that

i know this temple i take the step all the way whit my wife, my i have a prosthese  on my left leg i take my time,and i make!

Archived