Samet launches anti-plastic campaign

webfact

Samet launches anti-plastic campaign

By The Nation

93d02de7c42c06296926b290656bbe03.jpeg

Rayong kickstarts a green campaign on Thursday to reduce plastic bags and styrofoam containers on popular Koh Samet.

31b8be47a6246bbce0ba6b4c712c7acf.jpeg

The campaign was launched by Rayong deputy governor Yuttaphol Ong-art-ittichai at Khao Leam Ya-Mu Koh Samet National Park, Rayong Province. Many government authorities, resort operators, shop and restaurant owners also joined the event. 

It included a rally to promote cloth bags and tiffin carriers as good alternatives to single-use plastic bags and foam containers as well as raising public awareness of plastic waste and its impacts on humans, marine animals and the environment. 

1598508325040cf2f0f676c3651d4259.jpeg 

Also the deputy governor also gave a no-plastic bags sign to shops and resorts join the campaign not to offer plastic bags or polystyrene boxes to customers.

6a842d781e6dbd56503a27cba21f626a.jpeg

Prayoon Pongpan, the national park’s superintendent, revealed the problems Koh Samet faced with waste. He said last year Samet welcomed almost 1,253,000 tourists and the increase in tourists means more plastic bags and foam containers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357713

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-02

best of luck, and i'm not being sarcastic, i mean it.

i think the biggest issue for samet in particular

is more to do with what the waves brings in,

and the biggest issue for thailand as a whole is

the food culture here that revolves around

almost everyone buying food & drinks in plastic bags,

i dont see how that is going away until someone invent a waterproof bag that decompose fully.

for sure what local leaders can do to help out the issue in the short term is to massively increase

trash cans, just have them every 10 meters

and none will be too lazy not to throw it in the trash can, but of course, those trash cans need to be emptied regularly, not allowed to flow over as is now the usual case

5 hours ago, poanoi said:

i dont see how that is going away until someone invent a waterproof bag that decompose fully. 

Just google a bit in English or another language and you will see that Thailand don't have to invent such bags or packing materials, the world did already.

It's of course a matter of money to use them and that's a thing that hurts Thai people.

the beaches are still going to be full of plastic, you just have to walk along the local mainland beaches to see the problem is going to be hard to fix. 

4 hours ago, zzidenn said:

Which trash cans? There are no trash cans anywhere, ever....

plenty on the beach here but they will just leave their rubbish wherever they want to.

Archived