Australia joins the UK and USA with withdrawal of income verification

45 minutes ago, TSF said:

Looks like all farang living in Thailand on annual extensions will now need to have the 400K & 800K THB in a Thai bank account in order to continue living in Thailand.

Definitely agree 100% with this sentence (but not with the rest of your post). Despite the so-called "agreements" which embassies claim to have reached with the Immigration Bureau, my gut feeling is that the days of the 40k/65k monthly income method will, in practice, be well behind us by this time next year.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I would say it's become pretty clear to TI that in many cases the stat dec or affidavit is not worth the paper it's written on.

And not just those issued by the American, Australian and British embassies either!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I for one really didn't care how my neighbor got to stay here. 

As long as I knew I was legal, no business of mine.

The problem with your logic is that enough of your neighbors have lied on these affidavits to cause Immigration to remove them as an option... Now your neighbors will figure out a scam to rotate 65k in funds in and out monthly or falsely state 800k in the bank... This will lead to Immigration to requiring even more proof or just making the 800k a year round sum required... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

The problem with your logic is that enough of your neighbors have lied on these affidavits to cause Immigration to remove them as an option... Now your neighbors will figure out a scam to rotate 65k in funds in and out monthly or falsely state 800k in the bank... This will lead to Immigration to requiring even more proof or just making the 800k a year round sum required... 

The 65K rotation could possibly be scammed, but I don't know how you'd falsely state 800K in a bank book.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Ozzie embassy, that's new info, the rest, every comment has been the same as on the other 4 threads. Anybody got anything new to add?

Does it matter, this is now a particular concern for Aussies, before it wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHAT DO I DO NOW!

You should show the Thai Authorities that you have

the income required to obtain your visa by transferring the

funds needed into a Thai bank account.

That's clear enough -- and substantiates what the Brits and Yanks have previously said. They're no longer interested in potential funds -- they want to see that money here.

Why haven't we heard anything from Immigration about this? Obviously there are some transition questions to be answered, that will affect the entire long stay expat community. And probably the big question yet to be answered is: What will be the unintended consequences?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cleverman said:

Could some Ozzie ask our embassy ,Phuket, if they will supply proof of incom if the income is a Govt. pension, eg. DFRDB pension. I can't because of an argument I had there once. 

Are you asking if you will still be able to get a stat dec because you have a government pension? I think it's spelled out pretty clearly that stat decs will no longer be issued, no exceptions.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Are you asking if you will still be able to get a stat dec because you have a government pension? I think it's spelled out pretty clearly that stat decs will no longer be issued, no exceptions.

I don't care what you think, or anybody's thoughts. It's what the Oz embassy will put in writing is what I would like to see. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grego49 said:

The OAP is $849,au a fortnight in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Will27 said:

You wouldn't want the Aussie dollar to drop a bit though.

On the current exchange rate, that's about 300 Baht per month over.

AUD 849 x 2 = Baht 40,270, which is under the threshold. 

• Like 1

I believe the intention is to weed out corrupt agents and Immigration offices, i.e. if the money is in the account 3 months beforehand, no problem and proof of steady monthly income of either 40k or 65k baht.

I know a few blokes who pay between 10k-20k baht to get their extensions through an agent who somehow gets money deposited into their account for one day, then the letter from the bank saying that the farang has had the required money in the bank, so if the Immigration department wants proof of funds in the bank by way of 400k or 800k baht, how is this going to stop such bank letters via the agents being stopped. 

I know myself, that I also have to get a print out from the ATM on the morning of the extension stating how much money is in the account, so the mind boggles as to how they are going to weed out the corruption side of things.

As for me, not an issue with funds, but I know a few Xpat Aussies that are now joining the ranks of a few poms feeling worried.

• Like 1