If money is not an issue is the Thai Elite Visa still available and working?

I'm asking here as I know that the website might not reflect the way things actually are.  Would appreciate some advice on how easy it is to get the Thai Elite these days and your experience with the costs and any other factors.  How about compared to the normal retirement visa.  What are the advantages and disadvantages? 

Well, that website says 2 million baht for 20 year visa -- I thought I'd read where it is now 1 million baht....?

Anyway, it's not exactly clear what interface I'll have with Immigration over the 20 years. I can already do the 90 day reports online, so that's not an issue. But can i just sit in my rocking chair for 20 years, or do I have to visit someone -- maybe the Thai Elite office, not Immigration?

I know this info is there somewhere -- I'm just having a problem digging it out.

Thanx.

2 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well, that website says 2 million baht for 20 year visa -- I thought I'd read where it is now 1 million baht....?

Anyway, it's not exactly clear what interface I'll have with Immigration over the 20 years. I can already do the 90 day reports online, so that's not an issue. But can i just sit in my rocking chair for 20 years, or do I have to visit someone -- maybe the Thai Elite office, not Immigration?

I know this info is there somewhere -- I'm just having a problem digging it out.

Thanx.

The 20-year visa, 1mB, is called the 'Elite Superior Extension.'

The direct link is here:https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-superiority-extension-membership?locate=en

Regarding the 90 day reports, they're handled by a local visa agent (ZERO charge) in Bangkok or Pattaya. You drop off your passport and within a day or so it's returned.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RichardThailand said:

What are the advantages and disadvantages? 

op we need to know know more about you? how old? can you lose 1-2 million baht and not give it another thought? do you travel a lot in and out of Thailand? 3-4 times a year? do you play golf? where do you live in Thailand as many services are BKK and Phuket and CM only. 

if you look at the FAQ, many of the things they "offer" are available to everybody. bank accounts, drivers license and you still have to do all the leg work.

Edited by NCC1701A

11 minutes ago, galt67 said:

Perhaps he wants a flat-rate, clear, no-hassle visa to live in Thailand for the next 20 years?

Naturally, but he's also asking specifically about the benefits you get with the visa, which is what NCC tried to explain.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

that sounds good, too bad that is not what it is.

And your opinion of "what it is" is...?

In my passport, it clearly states it's a 'visa.' And all documents accompanying it.

Further, my 90-day reports are done free of charge in my area.

And have NEVER been required to have ANY contact with TI.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

I have a 5 year easy access visa. Signing up was quick and easy, very professional. I am frequently in and out of the country, assistance at immigration is brilliant and I use the airport shuttle service they provide. When I am coming or going I email the help desk who reply immediately and they come and collect me at the agreed time, whisk me through immigration and off we go. Brilliant service. Not cheap but I have the money so why not? I will Renew when it expires. OP, does that answer your question? 

It certainly helps me... Thank you for your review

• Like 1

I'm asking here as I know that the website might not reflect the way things actually are.  Would appreciate some advice on how easy it is to get the Thai Elite these days and your experience with the costs and any other factors.  How about compared to the normal retirement visa.  What are the advantages and disadvantages? 

The advantages of the elite visa are if you are still breathing and you have a pulse you qualify if you can fork out the cash....

Forking out lots of cash can turn a bum into welcomed resident of Thailand... 

I have the 5 year visa.  Always works fine, no problems.

I flew into Swampy from Myanmar last week.  Met by the Elite rep, whisked through customs, driven to Nana hotel (555) by the limo service....

As others have stated, the service works great.  For sure, it is not the visa option for everyone, but it suits me just fine. ????

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, marke985 said:

Took the Limo to Nana hotel.  You and I should be friends, I like your style.

On a more serious note, the 1M 20 year visa renewable energy 5 years, is there a fee every 5 years during renewal?  If anyone has done this process I would like to hear about their experience.  1M for 20 years of no more visa runs ect.  Seems very reasonable to me.  

Not as good as it was......I think originally the elite visa was not for 20 years but for life.... 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, galt67 said:

Perhaps he wants a flat-rate, clear, no-hassle visa to live in Thailand for the next 20 years?

If you have that kind of cash why would you not be travelling around anyhow to nearby countries and/or back to your place of origin once in awhile?

if your not used to be bothered standing in a cue or licking a postage stamp why would you be in Thailand at all?

the elite visa never made much sense to me, cash issues aside.

1 hour ago, marke985 said:

Took the Limo to Nana hotel.  You and I should be friends, I like your style.

On a more serious note, the 1M 20 year visa renewable energy 5 years, is there a fee every 5 years during renewal?  If anyone has done this process I would like to hear about their experience.  1M for 20 years of no more visa runs ect.  Seems very reasonable to me.  

There are no extra fee's involved, after the 5 years, you just make an appointment and get a new visa sticker.

For me, i am just planning to do that with a new passport every 5 years... ( normal passport has validity of 7years in my case )

But since the 20 year option is "brand new" we'll have to wait and see how easy this will be in real life.

The Thai Elite visa has been around for 15 years now... any complaints ? any disadvantaging changes in someones TE contract during the time in that contract ?

Edited by Ratt Thai
  • Like 1

Dude, sign me up! I am in the Kong once a month or more. Saves the hassle of trying to get another APEC card to avoid immigration que. Plus the lounge - business class luxury without business class price. 

Now if I can just find a place to park my Ducati at the airport.

if you look at the FAQ, many of the things they "offer" are available to everybody. bank accounts, drivers license and you still have to do all the leg work.

I'm only interested in staying away from Immigration. The following comment would seem to indicate this would be the case:

And have NEVER been required to have ANY contact with TI.

For us folks here in CM, where the TM30 is obsessed by TI, how does the Elite Visa handle updates to the TM30 upon reentry to Thailand? (Hey, I too am looking for no more contact with TI. And, since as a youngster I way over saved for my retirement, looking for a nice home for those over savings.)

As a frequent visitor to the TV forum, I'm really surprised about my ignorance about the Elite Visa. Maybe it's only me, but I somehow sense, what with all the new income statement goings on, that the Elite Visa may experience a run. And, what with demand usually dictating cost, maybe now's the time to apply......

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, James2020 said:

I just applied 5 days ago.  I'll post back here about my experience.  So far, they've been very responsive, and answered my questions by email the same day.  I chose the 20 year option for 1MM baht (no limo service, but I only travel out of Thailand once or twice a year, and 20 years from now I'll probably be dead).  I figured that after 5+ years, it would cost me 1MM anyway if I took the 5 year plan and renewed it, and I wanted no hassles getting a visa in the future.  I have no bank account in Thailand (I use my Thai wife's account) and the withdrawal of the US Embassy in Bangkok from issuing an income affidavit was the final straw.  I didn't want the hassles of opening a Thai bank account, making transfers on time, keeping money in Thailand, and including it in my estate.  I currently have an Extension of Stay based on Retirement, and some would say to just continue that, but your choice.  If money is not an obstacle, and it suits you, go for it.

Cons:

• You cannot get a 5 year 'Permanent Driver's License' only a 'Temporary' 2 year DL since TEV is a type of Tourist Visa.  You cannot get an IDP in Thailand with a 2 year DL, so if your home country needs one, you're out of luck.  I was able to rent a car in the US with my 2 year 'Temporary' Thai DL and no IDP, so not a problem for me.
  • My Thai wife cannot be a member of the program (only for foreigners), and she cannot go through the TE immigration line with me.  However, the Thai citizen immigration line is always short, so not an issue.  She can only ride in the golf cart if there is room, so no guarantee.
  • You will still need to do 90 Day Reports, but as noted above, it's probably easier, if you don't already do it online.
  • If you stay in Thailand for 1 year or greater, you will need an Extension of Stay.  Perhaps someone else can state what's involved, because I don't intend to use it.

Regarding the 90-day report with TE:

In Pattaya and Bangkok (perhaps other cities??), they have a designated agent that will do them for you. Free of charge.

Drop off your passport, pick it up a day or two later.

The Pattaya agent, for example, is located about 500m north of BigC off Pattaya Klang.

• Thanks 1