If money is not an issue is the Thai Elite Visa still available and working?

If you stay in Thailand for 1 year or greater, you will need an Extension of Stay.  Perhaps someone else can state what's involved, because I don't intend to use it.

You mean, you'll be in and out of Thailand more frequently than a year? Yes, I'm also curious about how you get your extensions of stay -- if (as on poster states) you never ever have to visit TI.

Also, I thought I read where, yes, you can get a 5 year drivers license with a TE visa...... (?).

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

You mean, you'll be in and out of Thailand more frequently than a year? Yes, I'm also curious about how you get your extensions of stay -- if (as on poster states) you never ever have to visit TI.

Also, I thought I read where, yes, you can get a 5 year drivers license with a TE visa...... (?).

If you don't leave the country for the full year then you do need to go and get an extension of stay at the end of the year. It's the same extension of stay form everyone uses to extend all types of visa. You need to modify the form a little as there's no mention of the PE type visa and request a 1 year extension. Take your members card with you when doing the extension as they do ask for and photocopy it!

I managed to get a 5 year drivers license, others have reported that they only get a 2 year license.

The rules may have changed in the years since I was issued with a 5 year license.

Also the rules appear to differ between each 'department of land transport' office.

Around these parts there are two, one is well known for being more lenient than the other, the Cha AM office is/was the more lenient of the two that's three years ago and things change....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Take it where? Immigration? I thought with the TE visa you're through with ever visiting Immigration?

As UKRules stated, with TE if you do NOT leave Thailand for 12 consecutive months then you must 'renew' the visa at your local IMM office.

Otherwise, when re-entering TH with TE it will reset for another year. Nothing to do.

Bottom line: Exit the country once per year and you can avoid contact with TI.

• Like 2

From another thread, dated 1/21/17 - maybe things have changed since then, so I suggest you check with Thailand Elite directly:

I received the following response from TE Visa:

"Greetings from Thailand Elite…

Regarding your enquiry about the info on International driving license application and Thai driving license renewal, please be advised that when we first established the company and introduced the visa, our visa’s purpose is for foreigners who want to visit Thailand often and want to enjoy their life in Thailand more and more.  Our Thailand Elite visa was then at the time categorized as a kind of tourist visa, but a very special stand-alone kind of one.  We have to admit that our previous early management did not foresee this point so that was why our visa is only applicable to renew for a two-year Thai driver’s license at a time.  We understand that it seems unreasonable when the visa is five years term but you can’t renew for a five years driving license. Moreover, please be noted that under Department of Land transport regulation a 5 year Thai driving license is required to use for applying IDP in Thailand."

So, it seems clear that I should not be able to renew my 2 year DL for a 5 year DL with a PE Visa in my passport, which does not qualify me for an IDP.  I suspect that as more Offices of Land Transportation become familiar with the PE Visa, getting a 5 year DL becomes a roll of the dice at best. 

9 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

If you have that kind of cash why would you not be travelling around anyhow to nearby countries and/or back to your place of origin once in awhile?

if your not used to be bothered standing in a cue or licking a postage stamp why would you be in Thailand at all?

the elite visa never made much sense to me, cash issues aside.

I think TE is packaged for those high net worth individual who has not reached retirement age yet (50 yrs old) but intend to stay long term in Thailand and enjoy the life . No working allowed. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JimGant said:

As a frequent visitor to the TV forum, I'm really surprised about my ignorance about the Elite Visa. Maybe it's only me, but I somehow sense, what with all the new income statement goings on, that the Elite Visa may experience a run. And, what with demand usually dictating cost, maybe now's the time to apply......

Maybe the current raids indirectly do drum up more business for TE....

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

If you don't leave the country for the full year then you do need to go and get an extension of stay at the end of the year. It's the same extension of stay form everyone uses to extend all types of visa. You need to modify the form a little as there's no mention of the PE type visa and request a 1 year extension. Take your members card with you when doing the extension as they do ask for and photocopy it!

I managed to get a 5 year drivers license, others have reported that they only get a 2 year license.

The rules may have changed in the years since I was issued with a 5 year license.

Also the rules appear to differ between each 'department of land transport' office.

Around these parts there are two, one is well known for being more lenient than the other, the Cha AM office is/was the more lenient of the two that's three years ago and things change....

Also, we could provide our Elite Personal Liaison (EPL) who is the assistant that will assist you in such a case at Department of Land transportation in Bangkok (Chatuchak only). All processes would be completed within half day and Thailand Elite member will obtain 2 years Thai driving license. 

Above is the reply I got from TE regarding applying for a Thai DL. It is only for 2 years ! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

I think TE is packaged for those high net worth individual who has not reached retirement age yet (50 yrs old) but intend to stay long term in Thailand and enjoy the life . No working allowed. 

I can easily get as many metv 6 months as needed in USA and visiting my home country there once a year is doable.

Therefore I'm paying elite so I don't have to fill out a visa application, lick a stamp or visit immigration once every 3 months when I've got loads of time anyhow. Or for side perks like the limo or golf cart ride?

still does not make sense for me...

9 hours ago, Ctkong said:

TE is packaged for those high net worth individual who has not reached retirement age yet (50 yrs old)

While this may be their 'target market', I got mine at 50 y/o and a friend at 66.

Further, based on TV comments through the years, there are MANY 50+ y/o TE holders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James2020 said:

I received a letter today by email from TEV that states my application was approved by the Thai Immigration Office.  It's been 5 business days since I submitted my application, so it happened just as TEV told me.  The letter had four options regarding payment, and I chose to pay by credit card.  Their website is a bit fussy, and Verified by Visa required another phone call to them, but eventually after about an hour, I was successful in making a credit card payment.  I had to scan the receipt and email it to them.  Once the TEV Finance Office has verified my payment, I will receive the 'Welcome Letter' and I can have the visa affixed in my passport at CW in Bangkok, or the Suvarnabhumi, Phuket, or Chiang Mai International airports.  I have to give them 5 working days advance notice by email or telephone.  It should all happen well within a month, but I'll continue to post here.

Sounds consistent with my experience a few years back.

I recommend that you book for the concierge service if you go to an immigration office inside Thailand for the visa insertion.

Appreciate the information on the Elite Visa process.  I am considering this 500,000 Baht option in 2020 because I’m certain I can get an extension for 2019.  Paying with a credit card appears to be the most convenient way to complete the process.  I read through the requirements for the Elite Visa and two of the requirements appear to be a Criminal Background Check and Fianacial History check?  The information sheet clearly state “No Bankruptcies”.  If the the Elite Visa agency can perform(or a third party) these checks then Immigration can’t confirm an extension applicants source of income?  

17 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Appreciate the information on the Elite Visa process.  I am considering this 500,000 Baht option in 2020 because I’m certain I can get an extension for 2019.  Paying with a credit card appears to be the most convenient way to complete the process.  I read through the requirements for the Elite Visa and two of the requirements appear to be a Criminal Background Check and Fianacial History check?  The information sheet clearly state “No Bankruptcies”.  If the the Elite Visa agency can perform(or a third party) these checks then Immigration can’t confirm an extension applicants source of income?  

I suspect they're checking Thai police records and any bankruptcy because there's no way for them to accurately check this otherwise.

I seem to recall that the forms ask if you've ever been sentenced to more than one year in prison for a criminal matter (excluding negligence - Thais always seem to exclude negligence for some reason) or been made bankrupt.

My guess is that they have this 'sentenced to 1 year or more' thing so they can ignore minor incidents like traffic offences, etc.

If they were checking properly they would need the applicant to get police clearance certificates from each country they've lived in - which they don't require.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Travelanimal said:

Some questions

1) how do they check applicant isn’t bankrupt? Do we have to show any financial proof ?

2) once your application is approved till what time period shall we make the payment before the application is closed ?

From my experience last year:

1) NO 'financial proof' is necessary. None. And the 'background/criminal' check took a day or two. I THINK they simply check the TI database and possibly(?) Interpol.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about any past financial issues or bankruptcies from your home country.

2) Approximately two or three days after I received 'approval', I made the payment. The next day I was scheduling to meet the TE Rep at CW to have the visa added in PP.

In all, took about 10 days from initial contact.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Travelanimal said:

Some questions

1) how do they check applicant isn’t bankrupt? Do we have to show any financial proof ?

2) once your application is approved till what time period shall we make the payment before the application is closed ?

No financial documents are asked for.  There may be a question on the application about bankruptcies, but I really don't remember.

The letter from immigration expires in 3 months.

3 hours ago, Travelanimal said:

Some questions

1: they don't, it is a general requirement. if on a later date comes thru that you are actual not qualifying, your visa gets void.

"6. Qualifications of Member
Throughout the validity of Membership, the Member must have and maintain to have following qualifications:
6.1 Not having been sentenced by a judgment to imprisonment in any countries except for an offence committed to negligence;
6.2 Not having been adjudicated bankrupt;
6.3 Not having been declared as a person of unsound mind, incompetence, or quasi-incompetence;
6.4 Being allowed to stay in Thailand in accordance with the immigration laws or any other related laws of Thailand;
6.5 Holding a foreign passport; and
6.6 All ages qualified."

"Termination
(1) Termination due to Lack of Qualifications
The Membership for the Member shall be automatically terminated once the Member fails to maintain any of the qualifications set out in
Clause 6, or it is apparent that the information provided by the Member to the Company regarding the qualifications under Clause 6 is false
or untrue."

end quote

2: after receiving letter of approval, payment has to be in their bank in 7 days, or your application gets nullified.

quote from application form:

"I warrant the accuracy and completeness of the information provided for Thailand Privilege Card Company Limited (the “Company”) and in this
Application Form For Elite ***** Membership (the “Application”). By signing this Application, I request that the “Company” consider
and approve the Elite ***** Membership for me. I agree to be bound by the Elite ***** Membership Agreement
attached hereto which shall form part of this application. I shall not withdraw any consent or authorization given in this application if the Company
approves the Elite *****Membership for me.
I understand that the Elite ***** Membership is subject to a written approval by the Company. Within seven (7) days after having
received a written approval form the Company, I shall make payment or procure to make payment of the Membership Fee in the amount as prescribed
in the Elite ***** Membership Agreement, without deduction of any bank charges, to the bank account of Thailand Privilege Card
Company Limited which shall be notified to the applicant/applicants on a non-refundable basis for the enrollment of Elite *****
Membership, otherwise it shall be deemed that such approval shall be automatically revoked without a requirement of any further notice from the
Company."

end quote.

Nothing special, just regular paperwork and solid clear agreements

• Like 1

This is the email that I received today from TEV.  I'm copying it in its entirety since it contains useful information.  I'm going to call tomorrow to clarify some points.

Greeting from Thailand Elite ….

We would like to inform you that Finance Department has checked the status of the membership fee and confirmed as following; The next step, we will register applicant into the system after that you will receive a welcome letter including ID number via e-mail. This process takes approximately 4-5 working days.

Service Reservation and Cancellation policy

Service Reservation

Cancellation 

Airport Service: Arrival

5 hrs prior to estimated time of arrival

4 hrs prior to estimated time of arrival

: Departure

5 hrs prior to pick-up time

5 hrs prior to pick-up time

Transfer Service

24 hrs prior to pick-up time

12 hrs prior to pick-up time

Bank Account Opening

3 working days

1 working day

Visa Service

5-6 working days

1 working day

Driver’s License

5-6 working days

1 working day

**** Elite Personal Liaison 1st free of Charge **

Member must notify to Customer Contact Center (Member Contact Center) well in advance as per our service policy, otherwise the Member shall be obliged to pay the penalty to Thailand Privilege Card Co., Ltd. at the applicable rate for the relevant privileges which the penalty is including No Show & Late cancellation.

Customer Contact Center  **English -24 Hours service // **Korean, Mandarin, Japanese: 06 a.m.-9 p.m.

All privileges, services may be suspended until the Member pays the penalty and submits proof of the payment to Thailand Privilege Card Co., Ltd.

There are 2 options for getting Elite Visa:

·         Staying in Thailand, you can affix Elite Visa at immigration Bureau Chaengwattana in Bangkok.

- Member who hold tourist visa, exempted visa or visa upon arrival have to book service 5 working days in advance for making the appointment with customer contact center.

- Member who hold non-immigrant visa, visa cancelation must done at immigration where visa was issued and do 7 days extension. Then, you could contact customer contact center for making the appointment to get Elite visa during this period.

- Member, who hold non-immigrant visa was issued from oversea, must leave country and could affix Elite Visa at Suvarnabhumi Airport. **Some nationality is required visa to enter Thailand**

·         Arriving in Thailand, member could affix Elite Visa at Suvanabhumi, Phuket and Chiang Mai International Airport. For connecting flight, we strongly require at least 4-5 hours gap between the next flights.

For both options, please kindly contact customer contact center at least 5 working days in advance at 02-352-3000 or [email protected] after receiving welcome letter and ID number via email.

**Please note that Elite Card will be delivered 2 weeks after receiving welcome letter and ID number via email. However, temporary letter will be used for getting Elite visa or identify yourself instead of Elite Card during this period. Full address is required for sending Elite Card once it is ready.

Best regards,

• Thanks 1

I received the 'Welcome Letter' and ID number today, 2 weeks after I originally sent in my application, so I'm now a member of TE (I'm a US citizen though - other countries may take longer).  Since I have a Non-Immigrant O visa, on an Extension of Stay based on Retirement, they tell me I have two options for having the TEV affixed in my passport.  1) Go to CW to have my Non-Immigrant O visa canceled, and then apply for a Tourist Visa the same day, and finally, have the TEV placed in my passport.  They will send a liaison person to help me (no charge).  It will take all day at CW.  2)  Leave the country and come back to Thailand after the 'Admitted Until' date on my Extension of Stay (14 Dec 2018) and have the TEV placed in my passport at Suvarnabhumi Airport.  Not sure yet which option I'll take.

I called the main number today to discuss the above (02-352-3000).  After going through two prompts, the phone was answered immediately by an excellent English speaker.  She spoke to her supervisor about the problem and called me back within an hour to discuss my options.  So far, I'm very pleased with the service.  I'll post one more time, after I have the visa in my passport.  I attached the fine print, which basically says that they can change anything at any time.

2018.11.13 Card Holder Manual for Elite Superiority Extension Membership.pdf

Edited by James2020
typo
  • Thanks 2

On 11/4/2018 at 12:13 PM, marke985 said:

Took the Limo to Nana hotel.  You and I should be friends, I like your style.

On a more serious note, the 1M 20 year visa renewable energy 5 years, is there a fee every 5 years during renewal?  If anyone has done this process I would like to hear about their experience.  1M for 20 years of no more visa runs ect.  Seems very reasonable to me.  

There is no fee on the 5 year renewal and it is indeed reasonable. No doubt people will tell you that this will go bust before the 20 years are up but I would argue that you take risk with every decision you make in life.

The visa in the passport is valid for 5 years and each entry into Thailand gives you a 1 year stay (you can extend for another year if you don't leave the country for more than a year).  So you could argue that you get 5 years guaranteed even if TE goes bust.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:16 PM, sqwakvfr said:

I am pretty sure these checks are not done at all. The pre-approval by Immigration (before you pay) is done in less than a week so I would guess they check if you had any Thai immigration or maybe criminal record and that is it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been granted a Thailand Elite Visa 5 years and I booked the Elite Personal Assistance for my arrival at Suvarnabhumi and received a Confirmation Letter for that.

But since I do not hold any visa when I arrive I have to absolutely rely on meeting the Thai Elite staff (EPA) before Immigration.

I was told that I only need my passport and nothing else when I arrive. Of course I will as well have sufficient funds on me and even will have a onward flight just for emergency.

May I ask someone who arrived via international flight at Suvarnabhumi for their experience:

1. Where exactly is this "Arrival Gate" that is referred to in the Confirmation Letter of EPA ?
  2. Maybe it is best not to fill out the T.M.6 Arrival Card before I have not met the EPA, for I would not know what is best to fill out under "Purpose of Visit" (Tourist, Retirement, Get Thai Elite Visa or else). I am coming for retirement and the 5 years is a trial period
  3. Obviously my concern is that they are not there waiting for me or we just miss each other for some reason. Has anyone heard of this happening ? Thai Elite seems to be very reliable but it is so crucial that everything works perfectly.

I thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

I have been granted a Thailand Elite Visa 5 years and I booked the Elite Personal Assistance for my arrival at Suvarnabhumi and received a Confirmation Letter for that.

But since I do not hold any visa when I arrive I have to absolutely rely on meeting the Thai Elite staff (EPA) before Immigration.

I was told that I only need my passport and nothing else when I arrive. Of course I will as well have sufficient funds on me and even will have a onward flight just for emergency.

May I ask someone who arrived via international flight at Suvarnabhumi for their experience:

1. Where exactly is this "Arrival Gate" that is referred to in the Confirmation Letter of EPA ?
  2. Maybe it is best not to fill out the T.M.6 Arrival Card before I have not met the EPA, for I would not know what is best to fill out under "Purpose of Visit" (Tourist, Retirement, Get Thai Elite Visa or else). I am coming for retirement and the 5 years is a trial period
  3. Obviously my concern is that they are not there waiting for me or we just miss each other for some reason. Has anyone heard of this happening ? Thai Elite seems to be very reliable but it is so crucial that everything works perfectly.

I thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

The arrival gate is the exit from your plane... They will be waiting on the exit from the tube connecting the airplane you just landed with and the "gate", holding a sign with your name and a great smile....
They'll have you walked to a electric golfcar for the great distance of 5 meters...
Fill in your details on the TM6 card, in the plane, but leave the visa nr blank.

The lady's will ask you to hand them your passport, they will have you seated on a comfy seat in front of the vip immigration office, have your visa stamp affixed and then walk with you to the IO on the vip arrival desk. This IO will then give you the entry stamp good for one year.
After that , they walk you to the Thailand Elite Lounge, provide you with coffee and someone will pickup your luggage 

You will receive a gift/goody bag and when you are fresh to go, braught to the limo and then to your destination..

Enjoy, worry free...

Edited by Ratt Thai
  • Like 2

Thank you Rat Thai !

Worry free - this would be nice. I hope we have a tube..

Sometimes you will be transfered by bus to the terminal.

On the T.M.6 what purpose should I choose ? Retirement, Tourist (TE is a tourist visa, although a very long stay one) or Getting a TE Visa). This seemingly stupid question is for the case that I cannot meet the TE staff for whatever reason. If then with "Retirement" on my Arrival Card and without any visa I would not even be allowed to enter the country. And this would be disastrous.

I will just leave the purpose blank and fill it in after meeting the EPA.

My enquiry is based on the sad background of not so nice stories about immigration at the Bangkok Airports and my personal experience of mistakes that can happen in Thailand (as everywhere) - on all levels.

• Like 1