Procedures On Transferring An Existing Visa Extension From Old Passport To New Passport

I’m currently on a 1 year visa extension on the basis of retirement. I will be renewing my passport soon, and then, shortly after that, my 1 year visa will be up for renewal again, perhaps 15-30 days after I receive my new passport, at which time I also plan to extend my visa for one more year.

I understand that when you renew your passport you normally are expected to get a letter from your embassy and then take that letter to immigration, along with both your new and old passports, pay a fee, and then they move your existing visa from your old passport to your new one.

But in my case, I don’t plan to travel during that 15-30 day period after I renew my passport prior to when my visa will expire, or anytime before I am to extend my retirement visa for another year.

So in this case, can I forego transferring the existing visa (which will expire soon) from the old passport to the new one and simply wait until I do my visa renewal (shortly after I renew my passport) and then have the new visa simply placed into the new passport at the time of the visa extension renewal?

Or is the transfer of the existing visa from the old passport to the new passport always a necessary procedure, regardless?

If anyone has any experience with this then I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you might be able to share on this.

Edited by JimMorris

You must have current extension of stay in the valid passport so yes you must get that done before you can extend your stay again.  This might be possible to do in one visit but will require two very separate actions and first will be the transfer - for that you need Embassy letter, copies of old/new passport data page, original visa and extension of stay (and believe departure care) and fill out a form to do.  Once that is done and entered into new passport you can proceed with normal extension of stay process.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You must have current extension of stay in the valid passport so yes you must get that done before you can extend your stay again.  This might be possible to do in one visit but will require two very separate actions and first will be the transfer - for that you need Embassy letter, copies of old/new passport data page, original visa and extension of stay (and believe departure care) and fill out a form to do.  Once that is done and entered into new passport you can proceed with normal extension of stay process.

Thank you for clarifying that.

I am assuming it could be tricky in my case to try and do both the transfer of visa in passport, and the extension of visa all in one day since I will have to go to the bank in the morning to get the bank letter. So I wont be able to get to immigration until the afternoon (on the day that I will do the extension) once they reopen at 13:00.

So perhaps better to split the two procedures into two different days. I was hoping though to be able to only have to make one trip down there to get everything done, but it doesn't seem like that will be possible.

Edited by JimMorris

You don't say where doing - in Bangkok there are banks directly below immigration floor making it easy and most other places accept a day old bank letter.  That said my passport expired this year and I did two trips to Bangkok immigration about a week apart so only there in mornings.

Thank you for clarifying that.

I am assuming it could be tricky in my case to try and do both the transfer of visa in passport, and the extension of visa all in one day since I will have to go to the bank in the morning to get the bank letter. So I wont be able to get to immigration until the afternoon (on the day that I will do the extension) once they reopen at 13:00.

So perhaps better to split the two procedures into two different days. I was hoping though to be able to only have to make one trip down there to get everything done, but it doesn't seem like that will be possible.
I plan to transfer my Extension to my new passport; then do my new Extension, plus my wife's and child's; then get Re-entry permits for all 3 of us - all in one day, next Thursday at Chaengwattana. Will let you know how it goes!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I had my 1-year extension and re-entry permit on my old passport this year and exit the country a few months ago. My old passport is pretty full and I have to change it, which I do in UK. I am told I can return to Thailand with both passports and there will be no problem. They should check my re-entry and visa on old passport and then stamp my new passport with a entry stamp. But will they also transfer the 1-year visa to new passport at entry !? I am guessing maybe not... 

In any case afterwards when my 1-year visa expires I have to go for an extension again, this does sound odd that I have to transfer the 1-year visa that is about to expire to the new passport when I am just about to apply for a new one. Have you guys tried it  and been told to do this ... !? (in my case I have entered the country without the visa on the new passport, so what is the point of moving the visa at the time of renewal... !!!)

They can not stamp a new extension of stay without a notation of original visa and last extension of stay having been transferred into the new passport.

You will have to have both original visa notation and copy of current extension of stay transferred.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 8:14 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I plan to transfer my Extension to my new passport; then do my new Extension, plus my wife's and child's; then get Re-entry permits for all 3 of us - all in one day, next Thursday at Chaengwattana. Will let you know how it goes!

Would be great to hear how it goes, thank you. Are you on a retirement visa extension and are you planning to get a letter from your bank to on the same day before going to immigration?

Edited by JimMorris

Would be great to hear how it goes, thank you. Are you on a retirement visa extension and are you planning to get a letter from your bank to on the same day before going to immigration?
I'm on a work based extension.

There was only one desk dealing with transfers and we had to wait for about 1.5 hours. They also needed a copy of my work permit, as well as a copy of every page of my old passport, and the British Embassy letter. The transfer was made just in time to move desks (N2 to N1) for the renewal of my Extension, plus my wife's and son's. This was all completed by 12.15 (they carried on checking even though the office closed for lunch at 12pm).

We came back at 1pm and had our 3x Multi-entry Re-entry permits by around 1.30pm.

20 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm on a work based extension.

There was only one desk dealing with transfers and we had to wait for about 1.5 hours. They also needed a copy of my work permit, as well as a copy of every page of my old passport, and the British Embassy letter. The transfer was made just in time to move desks (N2 to N1) for the renewal of my Extension, plus my wife's and son's. This was all completed by 12.15 (they carried on checking even though the office closed for lunch at 12pm).

We came back at 1pm and had our 3x Multi-entry Re-entry permits by around 1.30pm.

Well done. Congratulations on doing it all in one trip. Unfortunately, because of the nature of my visa, I wont be able to get there until after lunch, because of the fact I need to get a letter from the bank in the morning first for the type of visa I am on. So it sounds like its still going to be 2 trips for me I am afraid.