Cost of Living in Thailand: Save money? You're having a laugh!

snoop1130

4 hours ago, 0815 said:

Can't live on less then 40k a month in Thailand ?
Come! I will show you how.
But a Thai who gets 11.000 a month and lives in a small room in the city or 3.500 per month can hardly live on that.

When I met my wife she was working for 6k per month and she still managed to give 2k per month to her parents each month! This was 15 years ago.

So, yes it's possible, but there are a lot of families where multiple family members simply are too <deleted> lazy to work. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the old days when I was young and a working class man in England, I was living day by day hand in mouth and only one monthly payslip away from disaster. But this has always been the case of the majority of working class people worldwide.

One of the biggest drawbacks with this system is that people start getting into debt that is actively encouraged by the banks and finance companies, in ways of credit cards and taking on credit to buy goods, including mortgages and so on. For many falling into debt becomes a vicious circle, which means these people are never ahead of the game. It`s all been manipulated that way.

I was one of the lucky one`s, managed to get myself established, but for many they become stuck in a rut. Also the banks are not interested in savers, they get their profits from borrowers in commissions and interest.

It is sad that people can become used to living on the very basics, but the blame lies with the financial institutions and companies that pay poor wages, not with the people themselves.

4 minutes ago, Syduan said:

I used to survive on 7000 Baht a month and I had a 9 year old son to look after, it's possible but don't go there.

That's about what I have too.

After paying her in doors, the village people, her daughter, the lazy non working son (who has just spawned a kid) all the bills, food, car, oh the Ford Fiesta repairs fund club.

Life is good...

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

Sorry but have a simple question, how is it impossible to live on less than 40K month when Thai people on my area make average 15-16K salary month, this is puzzling me because immigration requires us to have no less than 40K month income, is there a contradiction somewhere or am I not getting the point, thanks for any clarification

Thais have their extended family network to help if they got into difficulties whereas as a farang in Thailand, the authorities had no way of verifying your support network other than you as a standalone.... moreover western comforts in lodging and food costs are higher than Thai’s. 

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

My ex neighbor in Bangkok was a guy in  late 30s. He told me that he works as a manager in a cosmetic company. 

He bought an attached condo oposite side of my gf’s. 

He bought a small coupe MB like new later. I knew that all what he owns are on loans. He sometimes had parties every week, but after buying the MB he just became a parasite and he drank neighbors alcohol (anywhere there was a party) including his gf. No return. 

I was wondering what is it about driving a MB if he can not even buy their own beer !!! 

Maybe he is upgrading his lifestyle the best he can . After all, after buying the condo, you got to have a lifestyle to match the lodging... think clothes, restaurants, holidays,....which could add up to quite a tidy sum . He got to project a successful career image to his contacts. Everybody knows that in Thailand, people judge your status in life by the car you drive regardless if it is hire purchase. They just assume that if you can afford such a car, then you belong to a certain social group. 

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Actually, cheese has almost halved in price over the last 10 years.

Used to be nothing below 800bht/kg, but now I often find Mild Cheddar, Gouder and Red Leicester for 450bht/kg in in places like Rimping and Yok.

No!!!!!!!

Really????????

Gouda AND Red Leicester?

Can you send me some? Please?

Send me your bank details, find out what the EMS postage is, add on 100 baht for your time & trouble and job's a good'un.

Seriously.

Ta velly much,

forever grateful,

yours,

TG.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Sorry but have a simple question, how is it impossible to live on less than 40K month when Thai people on my area make average 15-16K salary month, this is puzzling me because immigration requires us to have no less than 40K month income, is there a contradiction somewhere or am I not getting the point, thanks for any clarification

Maybe immigration wants us to share with native Thais?

Many farangs I know do exactly this.

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

No!!!!!!!

Really????????

Gouda AND Red Leicester?

Can you send me some? Please?

Send me your bank details, find out what the EMS postage is, add on 100 baht for your time & trouble and job's a good'un.

Seriously.

Ta velly much,

forever grateful,

yours,

TG.

1500 baht a kg average price in big C.

Tesco UK last week was around £7 a kilo.

I almost filled the case.

But already had Hob nobs, Bounty chocolate,  Terrys chocolate orange £1 each. 

Gravy mix, mashed potatoes, oral B toothpaste onspecial at 50p.

Oh two 1 litre bottles of Bailey's at £12 each.

That's all for my Thai partner. 

I got a tie from the op shop for my mother's funeral. £1

51 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Still he meant the same raise as I describe about half a decade ago, but I guess you're too stubborn to admit he (and I) are correct!

I used to go for soapies but not these few years. Recently I brought a visitor to my regular haunt and surprise surprise ,the similar class of girls had the prices increased by more than 30% since I last frequent the place about 4/5 years ago. . From tb 2,500 to 3,500. 

17 minutes ago, Cheops said:

THE minimum wage raise in 2013 IS what caused the problems where he is talking about.  Indeed it was not 'everyone', but about 90% of the Thai working population, duh.

Do you really don't get this? Are you this stupid? Don't call me stupid when you are. 

As said by multiple people: Google it!

Increasing the minimum wage by 50% was the government's response to an economy that was already booming, it was not the catalyst that created a lending and spending boom....unless of course you happen to think that one day government woke up and said, I know, let's just increase the minimum wage by 50% and that will start a lending and spending boom.....jeeze, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried! 

3 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

1500 baht a kg average price in big C.

Tesco UK last week was around £7 a kilo.

I almost filled the case.

But already had Hob nobs, Bounty chocolate,  Terrys chocolate orange £1 each. 

Gravy mix, mashed potatoes, oral B toothpaste onspecial at 50p.

Oh two 1 litre bottles of Bailey's at £12 each.

That's all for my Thai partner. 

I got a tie from the op shop for my mother's funeral. £1

790 a kilo in Makro, yesterday, Anchor brand and others.

Welcome to the first world, where we all live on credit. The UK being the prime example, where most guys are up to their eyes in debt on a mortgage. I moved to Thailand to get away from this trap; here you can actually live on your income without mortgaging your future.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Dear God, why is this so difficult for you to understand? There are tens of thousands of villages in Thailand virtually identical to the one my GF lives in.

Do you know where the statisticians are gathering their data? The 14K baht/month average income you quote - is that data from the cities alone, or does it include village data? I've never seen a policeman in my GF's village, let alone any other kind of government official. Most of the villagers don't have bank accounts, it's a cash and barter economy. Some like my GF's father have never been outside the village in their entire life. How do you get a sample size of 100% on BOT stats for people whose biggest capital investment is a bicycle?

As I said before, try getting out into the real world.

As I said before, try getting out into the real world.

For some in Phuket Pattaya even Bangkok it is probably impossible to follow you, maybe they do not believe you,  I reckon it is hard to believe but I know you are telling the absolute truth, many villagers do not have a bank account, certainly not a flat TV but an old one that all these posters must believe that these TVs disappeared from the surface of the globe. Maybe only 10% owned a car, my father in law has a pickup,  it is a little more than 20 years old. They eat their own rice own chicken eggs and fish from their pound. No one in the family drinks alcohol, only for the new year or an anniversary.

However, they never asked me any money but speaking like that makes one look like a Thai apologist, worst some who have fallen in love with the sick buffalo stories are convinced it's not possible so, by force of circumstances, it cannot be true.

47 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Back in the old days when I was young and a working class man in England, I was living day by day hand in mouth and only one monthly payslip away from disaster. But this has always been the case of the majority of working class people worldwide.

One of the biggest drawbacks with this system is that people start getting into debt that is actively encouraged by the banks and finance companies, in ways of credit cards and taking on credit to buy goods, including mortgages and so on. For many falling into debt becomes a vicious circle, which means these people are never ahead of the game. It`s all been manipulated that way.

I was one of the lucky one`s, managed to get myself established, but for many they become stuck in a rut. Also the banks are not interested in savers, they get their profits from borrowers in commissions and interest.

It is sad that people can become used to living on the very basics, but the blame lies with the financial institutions and companies that pay poor wages, not with the people themselves.

I would also place some blame on the internet which bring all those goodies to the rural folks. I remembered years ago Suharto in Indonesia do not allow advertisements on TV because he do not want the rural masses to hanker for luxury goods that they don’t need and with money they don’t have . Civil unrest was well monitored. 

19 hours ago, HOAX said:

@simoh1490 - To add to that, just use your eyes, “the new era” lives in a fake “luxury/good times”, where even 7/11 workers buys 35k iphones and 700k pickup trucks. What’d you expect. Its like seeing the average western macdonald’s worker driving around in brand new Mercedes benzes. It doesn’t happen, and for good reasons that I shouldn’t need to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Like how do you "milk a sheep", have an iphone that costs $1000!

20 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Yeah but it's impossible to live in Thailand on less then 40k a month, so no wonder they can't save. I read this on TV often. Where are the Thais mentioned in this article getting their fix of premium import beer and superior western food from?

In Chiang Mai for sure and other larger towns less than two hours from an airport.

9 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Increasing the minimum wage by 50% was the government's response to an economy that was already booming, it was not the catalyst that created a lending and spending boom....unless of course you happen to think that one day government woke up and said, I know, let's just increase the minimum wage by 50% and that will start a lending and spending boom.....jeeze, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried! 

If you think that, fine, but I know from many Thai people from work and outside that the raise in 2013 was indeed the problem. They struggle much more now then before the raise! Not sure if you have any Thai friends though. 

Also, several big multinationals pulled out to other lower income countries, which was another side effect, but you probably will tell me that that's not true either 555

"Government's response to a booming economy". Oh boy, you really have no clue about how the Thai government works. Did you Google about it already? You will find that the Thai government raised the minimum wages by 50% because they thought it will stimulate the economy, without thinking through the consequences.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All I have left from Wednesday, been having toasted cheese last 3 days.

Thai script says 'Cheddar Cheese'

P_20181103_145953.jpg

That's not cheese. It's emulsified, congealed plastic.

Why do Brits want to keep on proving to me their taste buds were removed by the government at birth?

16 minutes ago, Cheops said:

If you think that, fine, but I know from many Thai people from work and outside that the raise in 2013 was indeed the problem. They struggle much more now then before the raise! Not sure if you have any Thai friends though. 

Also, several big multinationals pulled out to other lower income countries, which was another side effect, but you probably will tell me that that's not true either 555

"Government's response to a booming economy". Oh boy, you really have no clue about how the Thai government works. Did you Google about it already? You will find that the Thai government raised the minimum wages by 50% because they thought it will stimulate the economy, without thinking through the consequences.

The minimum wage does not increase to keep pace with inflation, it had been falling in real terms since 1997/the Asian crisis - the increase in 2012 (not 2013) was 39% and was in response to an economy that had boomed since the early 2000's. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/The-Impact-of-Raising-the-Minimum-Wage-on-Wages-an-30177730.html

I'm not going to debate this subject with you much more because we don't agree and you're not posting any proof to support your claims, just like the previous poster I challenged on this, all you've got is rhetoric without proof and you're passing it off as fact!

21 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Yeah but it's impossible to live in Thailand on less then 40k a month, so no wonder they can't save. I read this on TV often. Where are the Thais mentioned in this article getting their fix of premium import beer and superior western food from?

You're talking possibly about the area where you live... maybe it is impossible to live on less than 40,000

but many Thais in other areas have to make do with half that figure for the whole family....

you obviously don't get out and around much to see how the real Thailand is suffering!

The truth is the rich are getting richer while the workers are falling behind, profits are not shred evenly amongst the majority!

Yes it is expensive to live here.....especially if you wish to eat 'foreign' food like cheese, decent bread, butter....drink a nice glass of wine. It is the taxes on 'luxury' items which make it very expensive.....much more expensive than in the UK or US.

What is cheap? Well stuff with lots of labour in it, like houses (but the land isn't cheap at all) or like repairs and servicing of cars....but of course cars are ridiculously expensive. I cannot figure out why a Honda Accord costing $35,000 in the US is much better equipped than its $60000 equivalent made here in Thailand.

The only answer is a simple life with a 20 year old motorcycle and Thai food bought at the market.

20 hours ago, kannot said:

Often with the "matching attitude" that goes with it, I find it hilarious when they aint got two farthings to rub together.

I let them feel free to sneer at me in my old tired trousers, shabby clothes etc

I owe nowt to no man/woman

Since you can get good looking trousers and shirts at the second hand market for 50 baht I suggest you may need some shopping help rather than a loan. 

Archived