Mid tier international school

ashkap

Hello, I am currently doing my PGCE in English from IoE (University College London), it is the best university department for education in the world for the last five years. After I have completed my PGCE I want to move to Thailand. I wanted to ask if I could be hired into a mid-tier international school with no teaching experience. I hope that having my education from an elite school and some volunteering teaching would be enough.

Also, what kind of salary can I expect from these mid tier schools? 

Thanks 

Yes, you can get a job as an NQT, although it will definitely not be as easy. It is very competitive here now, for example Bangkok Prep had over 600 applicants just for Foundation and Primary last year. It may well be worth biting the bullet and doing another year or so. My NQT year was the most beneficial year I have ever done. Hard, but you learn so much. Also, don't forget that if you plan on returning to the UK to teach, then generally you will still have to start again as an NQT (lowest pay scale) as hardly any schools around the world offer a valid NQT programme like in the UK. Finally, applying for Secondary positions also limits your options. 

I would note that having a PGCE from an 'Elite' school would make very little difference. Teach First, or School Direct (which I did) are regarded higher than a normal university PGCE nowadays as you spend the full year in a school. 

As for salaries, it depends on their pay scale. Some schools will start higher (100k++), whereas others might be lower (90k+). I don't think you should be looking at anywhere lower than that being fully qualified though. Definitely research the schools too, there are still a fair few schools here that market themselves as 'International', yet are not in terms of staff, pay, benefits etc. Without a doubt you should be offered an end of contract bonus, fully paid holidays, at minimum return flights every two years (some schools still offer annual), full health insurance, and obviously a visa and work permit. 

Check TES as they already have a good number of jobs listed. You should definitely start applying ASAP as they will be recruiting now for the next academic school year. When I got recruited here I had my interview in London at the start of December (that was for starting in August the following year). 

• 1 month later...

My daughter is desperate to come here to work. She has a Masters Degree in Science Education from one of the top programs in the USA, has teaching experience in the USA, is certified to teach in the USA and has two years of Science teaching experience at a prestigious Private School near Shanghai (she teaches in English).

The problem: they cant pay her enough here, at least the jobs like on Ajarn. She already earns about 100,000 baht a month, gets a free apartment, free lunch, Visa, Insurance, airfare and they are trying to recruit her for another two years with probably a bump to about 130,000.

Any resources for her to check for high tier teaching jobs?

20 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

My daughter is desperate to come here to work. She has a Masters Degree in Science Education from one of the top programs in the USA, has teaching experience in the USA, is certified to teach in the USA and has two years of Science teaching experience at a prestigious Private School near Shanghai (she teaches in English).

The problem: they cant pay her enough here, at least the jobs like on Ajarn. She already earns about 100,000 baht a month, gets a free apartment, free lunch, Visa, Insurance, airfare and they are trying to recruit her for another two years with probably a bump to about 130,000.

With her background and an existing credential, she should definitely check out the International Schools, which would be roughly in the same salary range (most likely a little better).  

I am not sure what is the best way to go about it, but perhaps some of our members can help.  

The internationally accredited schools do not advertise on ajarn.  

Best of luck. 

15 minutes ago, Scott said:

The internationally accredited schools do not advertise on ajarn.

I know. Thats the problem. I told her to get a TEFL or whatever and then apply to colleges to teach science English to pre med people, but she only likes middle schoolers. Picky brat she is.

Hopefully something will pop up. She cant stand China, but loves the fact that she gets good dollars and low cost of living and can travel all over Asia.

27 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I know. Thats the problem. I told her to get a TEFL or whatever and then apply to colleges to teach science English to pre med people, but she only likes middle schoolers. Picky brat she is.

Hopefully something will pop up. She cant stand China, but loves the fact that she gets good dollars and low cost of living and can travel all over Asia.

A Thai university will pay her much less than she is already making, offer no free accommodation or flights home.  To get hired by one of the better American international schools she will need to attend a hiring fair in the USA.  Do not ever get hired on as a "local" hire as the benefits and salary are worse.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

How much do they contribute to her pension?  Probably 0.  

Look, she's not really being paid anywhere near what she is worth.  Where I live she would most likely be paid about $55,000 a year starting out with a masters.  After 15 years, she would be making $115,000 or roughly 310K baht per month at today's rates.  Plus she would be in the state retirement system.  Put in 30 years and retire with a decent pension, social security at either 62, 67, or 70.

10 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

How much do they contribute to her pension?  Probably 0.  

Look, she's not really being paid anywhere near what she is worth.  Where I live she would most likely be paid about $55,000 a year starting out with a masters.  After 15 years, she would be making $115,000 or roughly 310K baht per month at today's rates.  Plus she would be in the state retirement system.  Put in 30 years and retire with a decent pension, social security at either 62, 67, or 70.

She didnt like teaching in the USA. The lack of discipline, the politics, etc. At her young age (26?) she figured it would be far more fun to see the world and get paid to do it. She is already maintaining and growing her pretty hefty financial portfolio and doesnt need a state pension system, which god knows, wont be there in 25 years anyway. I think her goal is eventually University level, as she has been making noises about a Doctorate.

24 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

To get hired by one of the better American international schools she will need to attend a hiring fair in the USA.  Do not ever get hired on as a "local" hire as the benefits and salary are worse.

Really? She keeps getting recruitment feelers from other Chinese private schools, but she isnt going to jump for $500 a month. I think she is actually negotiating with one right now, Im not sure, she is mad at me because I told her Im not standing on line for a $30 crab omelet when she gets here next week for her quarterly shopping and beach excursion.

• 3 weeks later...

She needs to get off her ass and investigate China. Not have you poking around for her. It will take work and China very scammy.

Proper schools will definitely pay her well. There are only a few schools that will hire her in Bangkok. British schools are the bulk and do not as a rule hire Americans, so that limits to top 5 Am curriculum and perhaps same number of mid tier and well paying Thai schools for which she is competitive.

If she enjoys teaching g7-8 she might focus on the very top Thai schools and EP programs. She'll love it, kids are great. It's a great age to teach - if you love teaching.

For China, her resume should never include personal information, addresses and provide only age, never date. All initial scans to prospective employers numbers omitted. She should only accept work on Z visa applied for in USA. Only!

Many websites supporting Chinese employment and scam sites and agencies. 

She will want to only be hired directly from international school. Period. Rest is bullshit.

Properly credentialed teacher with experience should be looking at US2750-4500 pm

There's no money is teaching university both in China and Thailand. It's not any more prestigious than a typical Thai highschool unless working top 3 universities. Even then there are 15 Thai and a similar amount of intl schools with similar prestige. Better to work for a top HS than any university below top 8 imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of university/PGCE qualifications, a young person with no teaching experience would find it difficult to get a job at a decent international school in Bangkok. The reason for this is that recruiters are cautious about young people essentially looking for a glorified holiday in S.E Asia which would be subsidized by teaching. What they want is a person with experience with a real vocation for teaching and whose primary focus is on their school responsibilities.

This is not saying that teachers shouldn't take advantage of all the opportunities in this part of the world - but that interest should be very much secondary to their profession. There are also plenty of crap schools that will take on almost anybody willing to work for Bt 40,000 pm - so the pleasure seekers should not be deterred. And of course, the smart ones can always fake dedication and professionalism!

One exception might be potential teachers who are graduates of really top-notch universities - Harvard, Yale, Cambridge etc since that might have some PR value for the school. But these types tend to be relentlessly ambitious who have better fish to fry than aimlessly living the gap year style life in Thailand.

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2018 at 9:36 AM, Nyezhov said:

She needs to attend the international school job fairs. A top BKK school will pay her double at least, before benefits. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:17 AM, Nyezhov said:

She could try Hong Kong, very different to mainland China. Also Singapore, pays top dollar and a great place to live.

Archived