According to EF English rank is still poor...

ozmeldo

Personally, I think it better in the five years I've been teaching. Especially the girls in good schools have a reasonable grasp of English. Far more could be done getting serious with curriculum changes, innovation and fresh teachers. That BC program showed zero improvement with the Thai teachers I work with. The one they boast of.

https://www.ef.se/epi/

It takes more than just school work to master a language. Yes, it's prestige to be able to speak English, but the practical use is still very much subordinate to Thai language. Unfortunately, many Thais have a very poor knowledge and interest in the world outside Thailand. There has to be an incentive, and i believe that's what's lacking.

I don't disagree, but for a language school I'd give it props. I mean, I'd never work for a language school (bespoke maybe) but they produce a popular text and their abroad program seems desirable by thai kids. Compare that to the average language school in Thailand.

The metrics are wholly flawed to be sure, but I wouldn't trust the BC any more to be candid. That's just a money spinner as well.

Just wanted share it. This sub forum really doesn't see much activity.

2 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

I don't disagree, but for a language school I'd give it props. The metrics are wholly flawed to be sure, but I wouldn't trust the BC any more to be candid. That's just a money spinner as well.

To be honest I don't know what you mean by "props".

It's EF's method (or lack of it) that's the problem. They explain some of their problems themselves on their website.

The BC is a completely different beast. I have several concerns about the BC, but there is nothing in the ELT industry that has greater scope or professionalism than the BC. 

I take it from your moniker that you're from Oz, in my view the Athens of linguistics and ELT, starting with Michael Halliday, but that's a different story!

8 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

To be honest I don't know what you mean by "props".

It's EF's method (or lack of it) that's the problem. They explain some of their problems themselves on their website.

The BC is a completely different beast. I have several concerns about the BC, but there is nothing in the ELT industry that has greater scope or professionalism than the BC. 

I take it from your moniker that you're from Oz, in my view the Athens of linguistics and ELT, starting with Michael Halliday, but that's a different story!

I'm not. So no need to find something else to further be overly critical of.

We will disagree on the BC. Especially only hiring UK, Commonwealth countries. IELTS examiner inconsistencies, the need to have their branded bs to be employed by them. That huge program they claim duch sucess, a big goose egg. Oh, it's endless.

Like I'd stated, just caring and sharing and as you'd mentioned EF is upfront about their 'research'.

2 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Until Thailand starts offering realistic remuneration packages to attract qualified teachers, nothing will change.

It needs to come from the Thais. Well placed foreigners can help with outputs, speaking and writing. They can't bring in an army of 90k foreign teachers.

Archived