Pattaya expat, former boxing champion tragically dies from injuries suffered during Bangkok fight

Jonathan Fairfield

17 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

A famous Thai boxer said on TV a few weeks ago that she was in the sport to kill anyone they put in front of her.  Even allowing for the usual hyperbole, that was still a revealing and slightly startling statement, coming from the so-called gentler sex. 

Yep, conversation with such across the dinner table must be enlightening.

Let's face it, they are such sensitive, intelligent nice caring people whose only interest really is to beat other people senseless, or, as you say, go into the ring with the thought of killing, for money.

Anyone who idolises them is just a 'wanna be' copy and probably thinks a nice pet is a bad tempered pitbull called Igor.

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

In other news, Thai boxing professionals are complaining about a new law designed to keep under-12s out of the ring. It beggars belief really.

The law should stand.... a persons life, health. Is far more important 

than greed. 

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Sad and RIP..

Ban boxing !!....we are not any more in the dark ages ? Ironic how certain countries all over the world, ban dog fights, but allow humans to fight like dogs,  on a ring....

Yes let’s ban all sports. Ban soccer, American football, wrestling, cycling, formula 1, running, Australian rules, gymnastics, surfing, shy diving, volleyball. 

What would you suggest, sitting on a bar stool and taking the chance or liver disease it smoking disease. 

17 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Yes let’s ban all sports. Ban soccer, American football, wrestling, cycling, formula 1, running, Australian rules, gymnastics, surfing, shy diving, volleyball. 

What would you suggest, sitting on a bar stool and taking the chance or liver disease it smoking disease. 

Not at all but do ban any form of promotion of said sports if they glorify the violence that is usually attached to them.

There are many other ways to develop a healthy mind and body apart from the gladiator's ring.

50 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Yep, conversation with such across the dinner table must be enlightening.

Let's face it, they are such sensitive, intelligent nice caring people whose only interest really is to beat other people senseless, or, as you say, go into the ring with the thought of killing, for money.

Anyone who idolises them is just a 'wanna be' copy and probably thinks a nice pet is a bad tempered pitbull called Igor.

the gentler sex................:cheesy:

Back in the day if two men fought there would be a winner and a loser and then the winner may even buy the loser a beer but when you bring women into the equation then we are talking stilleto heels.

Nothing tragic about it. This is a possibility every time these dudes get into the ring and they should know it. The real tragedy is we can legally pay to watch 2 people nearly beat each other death the world over...yet paying to share some intimate, private time with another consenting adult is illegal in many/most parts of the world. :1zgarz5:

It seems he was doing what he wanted to do and helping others along the way. Serious injury from boxing is rare and well below many other activities. I met him in Walking Street a few times while he was there to help tourists as a Tourist Police Foreign Assistant and while imposing as a figure he was not at all threatening and had a genuine smile. RIP.

1 hour ago, oxforddon said:

It seems he was doing what he wanted to do and helping others along the way. Serious injury from boxing is rare and well below many other activities. I met him in Walking Street a few times while he was there to help tourists as a Tourist Police Foreign Assistant and while imposing as a figure he was not at all threatening and had a genuine smile. RIP.

Serious injury from boxing is rare? Give us a break. Everytime someone gets a right hook, or left hook to the side of the head the skull rotates and the brain initially stays still before catching up with the rotation.. This stretches and breaks nerve conections causing damage. Keep repeating that and you end up with damage that can't be repaired.

Want to keep boxing going then ban any punches to the head and only allow body hits scoring points.

Don't tell me, that would be boring because there is no blood and snot involved.

Edit.

Ted Bundy it seems had an engaging smile.

I enjoy martial arts especially Muay Thai and MMA.  But - injuries are cumulative.  There is a lot to support limiting one's stay in the business: don't start too early, so yeah, I agree that kids shouldn't start fighting until well into their teens, and then exit the profession while your not damage to the point where your next fight either kills you or you suffer progressive neurological damage until your quality of life totally suck. 
But each to their own.  The guy died doing what he wanted to do.  I can respect that.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:51 PM, overherebc said:

Serious injury from boxing is rare? Give us a break. Everytime someone gets a right hook, or left hook to the side of the head the skull rotates and the brain initially stays still before catching up with the rotation.. This stretches and breaks nerve conections causing damage. Keep repeating that and you end up with damage that can't be repaired.

Want to keep boxing going then ban any punches to the head and only allow body hits scoring points.

Don't tell me, that would be boring because there is no blood and snot involved.

Edit.

Ted Bundy it seems had an engaging smile.

mostly depend on the person as to the injury though. 

The boxer like Shannon Briggs should not be able to add up 2+2 becos the times he was the human punching bag, but somehow he can still talk sense (sometimes)

Also boxing is down to skill of not being hit. Like the Mayweather style. 

if no skills, they shouldnt be in the game, but for sure it will be boring if all run just run all around the ring.

you must respect this guy for big gonads.

My 49th birthday long behind me, but i would not have bet on my reflex and speed against young Thai guys at that age.

Archived