What exactly is 7/11?! Now one has a restaurant and another has toilets

rooster59

I truly love 7, especially in the old days when it was just a few baht more than big c for items. Walk in to frigid AC, a hello, clean and we'll stocked store unlike the competition.

Then they added food. Getting food waved slowed everything down but they also started preparing food. This has proven a bad idea. Then they added bills, this is even worse. I applaud the ingenuity of paying for a plane or bus ticket but when people have a stack of bills amounting to thousands of baht, it's a very bad idea.

If I can't get checked out in less than five minutes, 7 has failed in it's mission as convenience store. I drop my basket and walk out.

Finally, it needs to treat its employees better so they stay longer than a week. This will also expedite checkout and I don't like making purchases from corporations that abuse employees. Duly warned.

I applaud this resty thing, why not? Just keep it well away from the standard checkout line.

There is still Family and Max Walluoo. You have been warned.

4 hours ago, Danthai said:

Back 45 or 50 years ago 7/11's were open only from 7 AM to 11 PM. Their prices in USA were higher than the grocery stores because they were considered a convenience store. Stop and go for basics. The 7/11s here are great. Prices often same as superstores. Always friendly and fast, at least in CM.

If you want fast in a 7/11 or Family mart....visit Japan...incredible speed!!

Was originally an American company. Now is a Japanese company with headquarters in Dallas, Texas.

Same as Yum Brands , owned by the Chinese with headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky.

Yum Brands is KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell.

My guess is that 7/11 is going to be a company that drives itself into bankruptcy by straying from it's winning business model and then attempting to become all thing for everybody.  Instead of focusing on doing it's core business well, they end up doing multiple types of business poorly.  If I start to have to wait in line for a few minutes to buy a coke and a bag of chips, I'll be looking for a different convenience store.

There is one of these new stores in Hua Hin.  The most surprising thing to me was the changed fascia colour where instead of the usual red and green, it is predominantly brown, making it slightly less recognisable as a 7/11.  It seems strange that, having spent years getting its stores easily recognised with the old style fascia, a decision is made to change it for certain stores.  If a standard change just for this new type of store, I suppose it makes some sense by informing potential customers that it incorporates a cafe and restrooms.

I seem to recall that quite a few years back, Coca Cola introduced a new design on their cans, but quickly changed back when lower sales figures were reported.  British Airways mad a costly mistake too, many years ago, when they spent about 30 million pounds changing the traditional design on the tail wings of all their planes to a modern African-style design, only to hastily repaint them all due to customer protests.   

1 hour ago, themerg said:

Was originally an American company. Now is a Japanese company with headquarters in Dallas, Texas.

Same as Yum Brands , owned by the Chinese with headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky.

Yum Brands is KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell.

Yum brands is not owned by the Chinese. Yum has a Chinese arm. called Yum China, but is a North American company.

Perhaps having toilet at 7-11 is new in Thailand, but all 7-11 and family marts have toilets in Japan. And some selling 3 different kind of hot soups.

i like 7-11 coffee in Japan and US.    US 7-11 coffee worth for the price rather than coal Starbucks coffee. 

11 hours ago, The traveler said:

The next thing you can do is extend your tourist visa and do 90 days report at 7-11 ????

A few years back they introduced crime reporting at your local 7/11.  If you get mugged just pop into your local and report it to the check out girl.

I am not a “time management” expert but as a frequent 7-Eleven customer waiting in line to pay for a couple items, I find the clerks spending time throwing in someone’s processed meat sandwich into the microwave then having to get it out interrupts the flow of waiting on customers. Is it that profitable? 

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Thailand is absolutely saturated in 7/11s there 3 within 100 metres near our home.  How on earth do they survive.

This dense and saturated ratio is probably reflective of everywhere seven is represented. 

How do they survive, you ask? 

A dumbed down <deleted> witted consumption mindset?

On 11/4/2018 at 12:55 PM, Srikcir said:

That might indirectly be happening already.

Super-rich family-run conglomerates have benefited since the coup.

Top Thai companies such as Charoen Pokphand [owner of 7/11's], ThaiBev and Central Pattana, among others in the Sino-Thai big business elite, have expanded their enterprises and market positions extensively under a junta that has maintained and even implemented new protection for the firms’ interests while grasping for innovative new strategies to modernize and expand the economy. (my bold)

http://www.atimes.com/article/blind-spots-prayuths-election-promise/

A quote in the article but does not describe how the top thai companies have benefited under the junta. I say that is just bs, these big corporations have dominated the scene for decades even with Thaksin in charge. Mind you that CP is a staunch supporter of Thaksin, and its one of the main reasons why TRUE grew so fast and so big, CP owns TRUE.

As for Central, they grew base on their hard work throughout the deacdes, unlike CP which has a monopoly in many industries. Majority of the top 10 folks work their way up, not through protectionist polices or monopoly contracts.

7 is pretty much a monopoly in the convenience store industry, but they are just making people's lives easier I say.

Archived