VIDEO: 9 British tourists rescued from burning yacht in Phuket

rooster59

VIDEO: 9 British tourists rescued from burning yacht in Phuket

1541255137_83640_2.jpg

Nine British tourists had to be rescued when the catamaran they were aboard caught fire in waters off Phuket.

The 5 men and 4 women were on the MJ yacht in Ao Kung bay when a fire broke out at around 5pm on Saturday.

The fire occurred after the boat was struck by lightning during a heavy downpour, WorkPoint News reported. 

The boat was completely destroyed but all nine passengers were rescued safely.

brits.jpg

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-04

26 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The fire occurred after the boat was struck by lightning during a heavy downpour, WorkPoint News reported. 

Wow, some very lucky people indeed! I wonder if the mast was fitted with some sort of lightning rod? If so it could have saved these people's lives.  

27 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Wow, some very lucky people indeed! I wonder if the mast was fitted with some sort of lightning rod? If so it could have saved these people's lives.  

Er, dude, these people lives were already saved, because, er, they did'nt die...........

6 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, dude, these people lives were already saved, because, er, they did'nt die...........

Actually, I'm already well aware that I made a mistake in the wording of my post. My original opening sentence is testimony to the fact that I fully understanding that these folks didn't actually die. I do apologize for not always being perfect. 

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Quite sure insuarance will claim act of god and not pay out

Maybe your misspelt post is supposed to be a joke but the Acts of God exclusion is a myth. It does not exist in insurance policy wordings.

All sailboats should be afraid of lightning and the installation of an efficient lightning rod is very complicated for many technical reasons. There is an old way in case of very many lightning and therefore of great danger is to wind a few turns the anchor chain at the foot of the mast, without forgetting to join the metallic shrouds and leave an end of the chain in the water, it's far from simple too but in case of real emergency nothing is simple and as complicated and crazy as it sounds, it can save the life of a boat

55 minutes ago, Boatfreak said:

Standard for lightning protection on board small craft. ISO 10134:2003 establishes guidelines for the design, construction and installation of lightning-protection systems fitted on small craft of hull length up to 24 m.

Ah, but where was it built? If near where the thing sank, ISO would more properly be shorthand for ‘instead of’

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If I was the owner I'd like the insurance company to evidence and prove that God actually exists and was directly implicated in the cause of the fire. Lightning on the other hand can explained quite easily by science and does exist. Amazing how insurers still hide behind such nonsense to potentially avoid a coverage.

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

They died? Wow that's tough. I didn't realise the photograph was pre-mortem.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

That doesn't actually happen.  Insurers do cover natural disasters and other non-preventable damage.

Acts of God being uninsured is an urban myth.

Wow! Glad they’re all OK. .....

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but feel it needs to be told.

ALL Nicety available quota for boating related accidents have 

been used up for the year....

No special lanes 

No special visa 

No Income Letters

Whatever you thinking may be available... No! No! No!

and for all of you that got your panties in a wad because of my 

intended humor be aware ..... there’s No complaining allowed.

Enjoy Sunday wherever you are...

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

A Lightning Rod works Great on Land but not on the Sea. It is very dangerious to be out in the water in a boat during a Lightning Storm.

As we all know Lightning looks for the shortest path to the Earth. Water is a good Conductor of Electricity. So the shortest path for the Lighning to go is the Yacht's highest point, which is the Mast, then through the Yacht and water, to reach the Earth.  

For sure you are right in that these people were lucky to not be part of this electrical current from the Lightning.

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Actually, I'm already well aware that I made a mistake in the wording of my post. My original opening sentence is testimony to the fact that I fully understanding that these folks didn't actually die. I do apologize for not always being perfect. 

I expect that your wife keeps you fully informed of the fact, as mine does with me.

38 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

A Lightning Rod works Great on Land but not on the Sea. It is very dangerious to be out in the water in a boat during a Lightning Storm.

As we all know Lightning looks for the shortest path to the Earth. Water is a good Conductor of Electricity. So the shortest path for the Lighning to go is the Yacht's highest point, which is the Mast, then through the Yacht and water, to reach the Earth.  

For sure you are right in that these people were lucky to not be part of this electrical current from the Lightning.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance which may not be the shortest path. 

1 hour ago, vanillalatte said:

Is it only my eyes?On videos I do not see catamaran!it is single hull boat burning!quite horrible sight indeed!

Hard to tell but if you zoom in on the first video about 56 seconds in, the stern looks like twin hulls. 

the old way with lightening protection using a length of chain(as already mentioned ) is ok but even a lightening rod fitted on the top of the mast does not completely protect one - the lightening can strike the rigging and follow a path straight to the boat so some people attach earthing straps from the chain-plates , down inside the boat to either an external iron keel or a large grounding plate .   Also a good idea to put your phone and electronics in the microwave !!   Thankfully no one died or was injured .  ( ex master/marine surveyor )     

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

And so is God...

Prove it.....as I thought you cannot. There are some walking this earth who know otherwise.....and there are some who at this point have not evolved spiritually to know that God exists.....but keep reincarnating like you have for around a million lifetimes....enjoy!

And God bless you.....as he/she does every day. There is no reason to respond because at this moment in time you only have your disbelief to offer. 

Archived