Blood test clears Brit expat of drunk driving in horrific accident

webfact

Blood test clears Brit expat of drunk driving in horrific accident

By The Phuket News

1541389112_1-org.jpg

The victim’s body was torn apart by the force of the impact. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A British expat involved in a horrific accident in which a pedestrian’s body was torn to pieces has been cleared of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident.

Paul John Mercer was driving his black Phuket-registered Mercedes-Benz C250 northbound along Thepkrasattri Rd in Muang Mai at about 4:45am on Oct 10 when he struck a man on the road.

The man, who was known to locals for collecting recyclable litter from the side of the road but who police have still yet to identify, was dismembered by the force of the impact. Parts of his body were left strewn across the road.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/blood-test-clears-brit-expat-of-drunk-driving-in-horrific-accident-69234.php#7RmOgYETemzCsUOU.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-05

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He must have been going at a pretty high speed to do that damage to a Merc. I assume the victim was collecting rubbish in the central reservation and the car was in the middle lane as the damage is to the right of the car. Reckless driving????? I personally think not.

Capt Warawud declined to reveal any more information about the investigation, including whether police have any idea how fast the Mercedes was traveling at the time of the impact, only saying, “I don’t know” or “I don’t know that yet”.

Read "We have not yet decided on a suitable settlement"

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

From the linked article ...

“I have the test results now, and it shows him negative for alcohol and drugs,” Capt Warawud said."

I work on many mine sites. There are drug tests and drug tests, newly made  synthetic stuff is very hard to detect. Most drug tests look at weed or coke.

3 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

What is the speed limit?

From the sounds of this report everything is okay; driving at excessive speed is nothing to worry about unless impeded by alcohol, or drugs...?

Bullcrap! How about staying out of the road when collecting garbage or at least have some goddamn running lights on the three wheel death machine. Had this not been a farang in a luxury car it would have never made the news. Period. 

22 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

Sad but you hit someone walking along the side of the road....prepare to make restitution to the family....jail time 

Agreed, however the impact was on the right hand side of the Merc, which would imply that the deceased was in the middle of the road when impacted. 

Regarding speeds... hitting a 60kg body at 50kmh would do plenty of damage - I'm not sure the damage on the Merc indicates high speed. 

I find it strange that it took so long to get the results of the blood test.

Having. Read all the posts from the above professional accident investigators. I can honestly say that I have never read so much unsubstantiated drivel. I think a few of you should study Thai defammation law a bit more than you have applied in the way of knowledge so far.

59 minutes ago, kannot said:

collecting rubbish people, see them all the time, be honest its  LUNACY!

Well I suppose if you are very elderly and might even have an equally elderly partner to take care of - have no children supporting you and live in shack- you still need money .

There is no fabulous social security taking care of you. 

Not the most helpful comment . 

Driving in this country- you have to expect the unexpected 

Perhaps a bit more respect to the human being who was ripped to pieces by the idiot in his flash Merc. 

4 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Well I suppose if you are very elderly and might even have an equally elderly partner to take care of - have no children supporting you and live in shack- you still need money .

There is no fabulous social security taking care of you. 

Not the most helpful comment . 

Driving in this country- you have to expect the unexpected 

Perhaps a bit more respect to the human being who was ripped to pieces by the idiot in his flash Merc. 

you cannot expect the type of 'expat' that lives in Thailand these days to relate to humanity.

4 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Read "We have not yet decided on a suitable settlement"

I am so so sorry for saying this if it was the other wsy round 3 wais and 500 baht. I am so so sorry for the thai man other than to collect rubbish while walking in the road with any lights an accident waiting to happen

1 hour ago, miamiman123 said:

Sad but you hit someone walking along the side of the road....prepare to make restitution to the family....jail time 

They don't know his identity yet, so I assume his family hasn't come forward, which is a little strange. He could be homeless. Hopefully they find out who he is. 

Archived