H4 headlight bulb replacement ? LED ? Which one !?

Pepper9187

Anyone knows what kind of H4 headlight replacement bulb i could buy for my cb400sf ? LED ones?

It's just ... not good enough at dark, halogen's way too weak, anyone with a similar headlight has a positive feedback with let's say LED bulbs ?

Which model are you using precisely? Where to buy ? there's millions of different LED models available on the net, i'd like to have a true feedback by someone who is actually using it on a similar headlight type.

Thanks !

(that kind of headlight, not my picture) :

cb400sf__headlight__spec_3_model__origin

I recently changed one bulb in my Suzuki Raider headlight...

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i249775420-s385162999.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1?

the kit had some adaptors but still needed a bit of jiggery-pokery to get it  to fit + plus had to cut into the wiring harness

( left the original socket in case  I need to go back to standard )

The only slight problem  is that at low  engine revs  ( tickover) the led flickers.

this could be cured by using a relay  to switch a 12v DC feed directly from the battery..I haven't bothered ( yet)

39294130_P_20180914_154155(Large).jpg.543457dc8411be7640091948dfae863d.jpg1713933205_P_20180914_105817(Large).jpg.20770ee9f14ca9db38d31a63de0defaf.jpgP_20180914_143325.thumb.jpg.463b02e5cf2a6112d13a13ff47413541.jpgP_20180914_150315.thumb.jpg.dd5f573c85067243b137616c77fd3615.jpgled2.thumb.jpg.1fdcc6a608f32c6953654fb1a986fe47.jpgled3.thumb.jpg.4266fc901da0d222717a2aa40b906ac4.jpgled4.thumb.jpg.6c87b28c63150c05fa3267b074302223.jpgled1.thumb.jpg.80739bf9e2a83fcf0c1d69476c4e516c.jpg

You need a directional led.

The H4 H7 H1 type globes are designed for positioning and reach in the headlights housing. 

Plus all that pretty patterned glass and sometimes the reflectors are engineered to throw the light where it should be.

Projector lights give a better night beam than reflector types.

HID led?

Bright certainly. 

In my opinion, suggest simply Google and there's a good explanation of what the lights do and why.

Suppose ask yourself what goes into a 100 baht Lazada globe -v- the major brands.

It's made for around 50 baht if not less in a non regulated environment and certainly doesn't have the OEM royalties and development costs that major companies have to recover. 

Oh, if you have 55w or whatever installed, the acrylic lens is manufactured to withstand the heat generated by it.

Boosting the power will also heat the lens.

Anyway. 

Google knows much more than me.

(Apart from the wife, who knows more than Google)

Thanks for the answers guys ;

@ John : Except the fact that your light flickers (!) how does it render compared to your previous halogen light ? Is it a huge gain ? is it too strong ? (I often get blinded by morons who put way too powerful LEDs on their bikes, even in daytime !) ?

@Tanintai : your halogen bulb keeps blowing ? You got some electrical issues on your bike, no doubt ! My bulb is 12 years old and still fine.

The things that worry me is the "cutting wire parts" not that it's complicated but just ... you know !

Dallen : Can you ask your wife what good HID H4 bulb i could buy ? ????

Didn't know about HID, they seem to be a good alternative, LEDs just sometimes look too powerful and it's hard to make a choice within the thousands and thousands of "brands" & models.

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

why do you need all the extra driver and have to cut your existing wiring,

I think maybe because my headlights are old style ?   p15d ? not H4  so the connection is different.

14 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Except the fact that your light flickers (!) how does it render compared to your previous halogen light ? Is it a huge gain ? is it too strong ? (I often get blinded by morons who put way too powerful LEDs on their bikes, even in daytime !) ?

My previous bulb was just a plain old filament 35Watt bulb...( the LED says 30Watt)

I like the white light as opposed to the yellowish filament light.. LED seems to me stronger and clearer for a longer distance..I took some time to adjust the headlight at night against a wall at various distances to try set it up so as not to be blinding everyone..but its probably unavoidable even with the new factory standard fitted  motorbike LED they bounce over a speed bump and "pow" right in your eye.????

Also I left the other filament bulb as is  so I can have that running during the day and or at police check points....then switch to Hi beam LED for a longer clearer look ahead.

23 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

The things that worry me is the "cutting wire parts" not that it's complicated but just ... you know ! 

Yes that worried me too   in the end I didn't cut any wire or remove the existing plugs or sockets  just cut away  enough of the wire insulation to  splice in  the LED bulb wires, soldered them and wrapped with "self amalgamating tape"

1 hour ago, johng said:

I think maybe because my headlights are old style ?   p15d ? not H4  so the connection is different.

My previous bulb was just a plain old filament 35Watt bulb...( the LED says 30Watt)

I like the white light as opposed to the yellowish filament light.. LED seems to me stronger and clearer for a longer distance..I took some time to adjust the headlight at night against a wall at various distances to try set it up so as not to be blinding everyone..but its probably unavoidable even with the new factory standard fitted  motorbike LED they bounce over a speed bump and "pow" right in your eye.????

Also I left the other filament bulb as is  so I can have that running during the day and or at police check points....then switch to Hi beam LED for a longer clearer look ahead.

Yes that worried me too   in the end I didn't cut any wire or remove the existing plugs or sockets  just cut away  enough of the wire insulation to  splice in  the LED bulb wires, soldered them and wrapped with "self amalgamating tape"

Naaah are you saying that there's bumps on the Thai roads ? Unbelievable ! 

I got a 1970 style yellow ugly / under-powered bulb too (Halogen) now, after some google research it seems that HID bulbs just do better on reflectors headlights vs LED ?

Really need to get something brighter but don't wana be that di**head who's blinding everyone, would appreciate if i hadn't to cut anything in my headlight to fit the new bulb too ????

2 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Thanks for the answers guys ;

@ John : Except the fact that your light flickers (!) how does it render compared to your previous halogen light ? Is it a huge gain ? is it too strong ? (I often get blinded by morons who put way too powerful LEDs on their bikes, even in daytime !) ?

@Tanintai : your halogen bulb keeps blowing ? You got some electrical issues on your bike, no doubt ! My bulb is 12 years old and still fine.

Dallen : Can you ask your wife what good HID H4 bulb i could buy ? ????

Didn't know about HID, they seem to be a good alternative, LEDs just sometimes look too powerful and it's hard to make a choice within the thousands and thousands of "brands" & models.

Try webike Thailand site and it gives you a good rundown on the ones others use here.

Ignore the prices.

And pick a identical part or almost a identical copy elsewhere. 

But Honda cb400 comes up on there. ????

I'm ex Ford product development and lighting was part of my product line up.

4 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Try webike Thailand site and it gives you a good rundown on the ones others use here.

Ignore the prices.

And pick a identical part or almost a identical copy elsewhere. 

But Honda cb400 comes up on there. ????

I'm ex Ford product development and lighting was part of my product line up.

Will have a look there ! Tx.

I've just seen that there's some new Philips halogen "racing vision" which seems to be delivering pretty good performances for halogen tech !

They have a pretty short lifespan though ....  200 hours ... and i can't turn off the headlight on my bike .... and quite expensive ... huuum dilemma ...

I wonder what happens when your bulb burns out and you're driving around mae hong sond at night ????

18 hours ago, dallen52 said:

https://youngchoppers.com/7-best-motorcycle-headlights-reviewed-compared/

Just found this link..

Might prove useful if it's what it says it is. 

Interesting !

First i thought : forget it, changing the headlight is gona be way too expensive,

Then thanks to your link i found those one marked as compatible with my bike :

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Daymaker-Davidson-Motorcycle-Softail/dp/B07FNRTQB5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541494748&sr=8-1&keywords=cb400sf+headlight#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Headlight-Replacement-Projector-Davidson/dp/B07J5D83MF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1541494748&sr=8-2&keywords=cb400sf+headlight

50-60 dolls for that !? unbelievable !

Small problem : seems to have very specific LED and neon light inside, when they die ... you'd have to throw away that headlight.

That one is .... Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :

image.thumb.png.a6be3328bc4fae63cf72138390f8fdbe.png

1 hour ago, Pepper9187 said:

Interesting !

First i thought : forget it, changing the headlight is gona be way too expensive,

Then thanks to your link i found those one marked as compatible with my bike :

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Daymaker-Davidson-Motorcycle-Softail/dp/B07FNRTQB5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541494748&sr=8-1&keywords=cb400sf+headlight#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Headlight-Replacement-Projector-Davidson/dp/B07J5D83MF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1541494748&sr=8-2&keywords=cb400sf+headlight

50-60 dolls for that !? unbelievable !

Small problem : seems to have very specific LED and neon light inside, when they die ... you'd have to throw away that headlight.

That one is .... Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :

image.thumb.png.a6be3328bc4fae63cf72138390f8fdbe.png

I think the site has merit .

Just shop around for the best price. 

Just now, dallen52 said:

I think the site has merit .

Just shop around for the best price. 

I can't wait nooo argh, just felt in love with that 50 bucks headlight, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhhh

Hold me don't let me buy that yet, no ahrhssdahdnsabdkjsand

1 minute ago, Pepper9187 said:

I can't wait nooo argh, just felt in love with that 50 bucks headlight, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhhh

Hold me don't let me buy that yet, no ahrhssdahdnsabdkjsand

There is some nice replacement kit around. 

And it doesn't distract from the bikes looks.

10 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

There is some nice replacement kit around. 

And it doesn't distract from the bikes looks.

Yep, thanks for your link again ! 

I had looked on eBay before but couldn't find anything, didn't thought amazon would have 50 bucks headlights !! never crossed my mind.

Archived