US man claims he was denied entry to Thailand because of the the color of his skin

webfact

US man claims he was denied entry to Thailand because of the the color of his skin

9pm.jpg

A black man from the US has shared a video on Thaivisa’s Facebook page saying that he and a woman were denied entry because of the color of their skin.

Keivyn Graves also claimed extortion and corruption at the hands of the airport immigration. 

He said he and his partner had come from India and had visited Thailand many times before to spend their money.

He claimed he was told to "go back to his home country".

He said: "I know that the way I look and the color of my skin is really playing (a part) of what's going on here".

He said he had been in a holding area since the middle of the night until the afternoon - 16 hours in which he claimed he was even "denied water". 

Thaivisa notes that many "people of color" have been rounded up in a series of raids over the last few months. 

Many people have criticized the Thais for racial profiling. 

Keivyn later posted a video confirming he had been released from immigration.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-05

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is not the first person to be refused entry having visited too many times in a short period of time. All of us who have been here a while understand that one and some of us know someone who was refused for exactly that. I do. A South African businessman, on crutches with a broken leg coming here for treatment in a private hospital.

Recent immigration checks have definitely and openly targeted dark skinned people, so his assertion his skin colour is involved certainly has some merit. I think I heard him mention Don Mueang, which coincidentally seems to be the place that hits the news for refusals extremely regularly. At the end of the day though, if you are going to come here fairly often, it really is a sensible idea to get a visa, which overcomes much of the potential drama.

I've had a number of black American friends here over the years and they never mentioned problem.

I would suggest perhaps looking a tad more conventional so as not to freak out immigration.

If possible, take out the nose ring. Turn baseball cap around, or better yet, don't wear it. looking a bit gangsta doesn't help you when immigration is looking for excuse to deny entry.

They both have the nose rings - in departure awaiting flight tomorrow back to India and been told they can return with cash and travel documents printed out for immigration to see.  Appears they were not the only persons stopped from entering as eating with Japanese girl who also being sent out in second video.

@Keivyn Graves,

Lesson 1 when you come to Thailand....  stay polite and never show an attitude to the IO when he or she questions you...

2: never say you'r a tourist when you'r stating on your facebook that you'r living in Thailand... did you got some kind of a visa ?

3: follow the news on whats going on with immigration in Thailand, be aware that they try to "sift" out the bad apples from the past... and sometimes they trow away good apples with it...

So make sure that you are a shiny and tasteful looking apple... 

There is no point in complaining about others or blaming others if your own actions are the cause of the problem...

i got this quote from your facebook profile:

"STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS! UNITE! FIGHT IGNORANCE, RACISM AND PREJUDICE!"

Way to go bro...

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

I've had a number of black American friends here over the years and they never mentioned problem.

I would suggest perhaps looking a tad more conventional so as not to freak out immigration.

If possible, take out the nose ring. Turn baseball cap around, or better yet, don't wear it. looking a bit gangsta doesn't help you when immigration is looking for excuse to deny entry.

Or do as the Thai's do to lighten their colour, i.e. put some powder on your face....lol

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

All countries have the right to admit or reject anyone entrance to their country...regardless of the person's entitlement that they should be allowed to go anywhere unimpeded at any time.

Yeah...

Nor should it receive the "newsworthy" attention of legitimate importance. 

2 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Yeah...

Nor should it receive the "newsworthy" attention of legitimate importance. 

True...but it gets in the news because of the lefty agenda of mainstream news companies like this one as it's click bait for the lefties. Truth be told, this guy is probably exactly who they should be denying entry to and it has nothing to do with colour.

It is unclear to me from the article on what typeof visa he was entering Thailand . If he was entering on a visa exempt status or is it called visa on arrival? , then coming here to often under visa exempt/ visa on arrival is grounds for refusal of entry, I believe (correct me if I am wrong)  no more than two visa exempt/visa on arrival  per year. I am not sure how strictly is enforced, or even if I am correct,  or if it is enforced more often toward those perceived to be  "undesirable".

I actually do know this guy personally. Not a close friend but we met several times. Very nice guy indeed. Maybe a little bit cracy but nice. Inoffensive. His style might be exaggerated in some peoples eyes, but the clothes and stuff he´s wearing is quite pricey. So no money issues. No hang around hippy. Understanding the point that his looks might not be comprehensible to some officers and alike, but he always (with variation in "decoration") looks like this (including skin colour) and that should not be a reason for denying entry to anyone. IMO.(if it was all about that,.. don´t know) Reminds me in some ways of the early 1980´s when people that brought illegal stuff from India and elsewhere into Thailand, in their taylor made silk-suits, complete addicts (with suits on) to fool officals. For some it worked out... maybe. I would be much more scared seeing the offical delegation from IBM (or else) arriving in their business-uniforms.....that´s a good reason to be concerned of what´s coming into the country

11 minutes ago, pikao said:

I actually do know this guy personally. Not a close friend but we met several times. Very nice guy indeed. Maybe a little bit cracy but nice. Inoffensive. His style might be exaggerated in some peoples eyes, but the clothes and stuff he´s wearing is quite pricey. So no money issues. No hang around hippy. Understanding the point that his looks might not be comprehensible to some officers and alike, but he always (with variation in "decoration") looks like this (including skin colour) and that should not be a reason for denying entry to anyone. IMO.(if it was all about that,.. don´t know) Reminds me in some ways of the early 1980´s when people that brought illegal stuff from India and elsewhere into Thailand, in their taylor made silk-suits, complete addicts (with suits on) to fool officals. For some it worked out... maybe. I would be much more scared seeing the offical delegation from IBM (or else) arriving in their business-uniforms.....that´s a good reason to be concerned of what´s coming into the country

Thank you for your valued assessment of this man. Perhaps you can help Immigration change their opinion of him. A fat wallet would help.

20 minutes ago, pikao said:

Somewhere in his clip the girlfriend say's that its his own fault, (background chatter) and that overstaying more then 90 days leads to a 1 year ban... then he says that this kind of law does not apply to them... talking about attitude....

9 minutes ago, Ratt Thai said:

Somewhere in his clip the girlfriend say's that its his own fault, (background chatter) and that overstaying more then 90 days leads to a 1 year ban... then he says that this kind of law does not apply to them... talking about attitude....

Did not hear or realise that. If so, he is in the wrong. Keivyn, change your attitude and get your things straight

17 minutes ago, Ratt Thai said:

Well there you go I heard it also.

Guys full of crap....

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well there you go I heard it also.

Guys full of crap....

Actually 90 day overstay had nothing to do with his troubles AFAIK so that specific law indeed had nothing to do with their current situation. 

So:

has a record of a 90 day overstay,

claims that the law doesn't apply to him,

posts on Facebook that he is living in Thailand,

Has multiple visa exempt entries,

and is surprised that he was denied entry.

Leaving aside the nose ring, back to front hat and "attitude"!

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

It is unclear to me from the article on what typeof visa he was entering Thailand . If he was entering on a visa exempt status or is it called visa on arrival? , then coming here to often under visa exempt/ visa on arrival is grounds for refusal of entry, I believe (correct me if I am wrong)  no more than two visa exempt/visa on arrival  per year. I am not sure how strictly is enforced, or even if I am correct,  or if it is enforced more often toward those perceived to be  "undesirable".

The two per year only applies to land borders.

By air there is no official limit but 6 by air seems to be the bogey number for visa exempt anyway.

Don't think visa on arrival applies to US citizens.

5 hours ago, Ratt Thai said:

@Keivyn Graves,

Lesson 1 when you come to Thailand....  stay polite and never show an attitude to the IO when he or she questions you...

2: never say you'r a tourist when you'r stating on your facebook that you'r living in Thailand... did you got some kind of a visa ?

3: follow the news on whats going on with immigration in Thailand, be aware that they try to "sift" out the bad apples from the past... and sometimes they trow away good apples with it...

So make sure that you are a shiny and tasteful looking apple... 

There is no point in complaining about others or blaming others if your own actions are the cause of the problem...

i got this quote from your facebook profile:

"STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS! UNITE! FIGHT IGNORANCE, RACISM AND PREJUDICE!"

Way to go bro...

My God Man!

Do you really think immigration is looking at his Facebook?

He could have used any name with FB

When on a previous 90-day overstay, don't act arrogantly or entitled.

Be humble and polite, don't show blackitude to the IO.

Dress properly, no ghetto clothes or back-to-front hats.

If denied entry, don't play the race card, but clean up your act.

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

My God Man!

Do you really think immigration is looking at his Facebook?

He could have used any name with FB

There have been reports from others on TVF in this guys situation who had to show the IO's their FB page and one was even questioned about a photo of him on a tuk tuk with regards to working 5555. So not so crazy to think that an IO in the back office has a quick search on his name to see if he is on facebook under said name (which he is) and if there are any clues as to what he has been up to recently (which there are), in this case his FB page says he's living in Thailand.

12 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

True...but it gets in the news because of the lefty agenda of mainstream news companies like this one as it's click bait for the lefties. Truth be told, this guy is probably exactly who they should be denying entry to and it has nothing to do with colour.

Right on brother. :cheesy:

I think he should be barred from everywhere.

I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley.

Archived