US man claims he was denied entry to Thailand because of the the color of his skin

webfact

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

My God Man!

Do you really think immigration is looking at his Facebook?

He could have used any name with FB

Lets say that (first hand information) there is a special department actively fleecing social media, including TV fora, collecting relevant information... connecting dots is something they are becoming good at. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Looking like that I'm afraid I would have rejected him under the "hippy look" rule even if he was white.

Lose the nose ring and baseball cap, buy a new T.

that must be your era though Crossy? I know a fair few who were well into that thing some straightened out, many took uni jobs

whats with the discrimination over looks? is it what comes of being old, its not as if you are inviting him to work for you or marry your daughter /son?

Rule no 1 never wear a hat when you approach immigration desk, you see they want to match you photo in passport with your ugly dial,   Rule no 2 ditch the bull ring from the nose unless you want to be led around like a bull, I don't think they would have accepted your passport photo with the ring in, so hence you have problem with ID photo at immigration  Rule 3 don't come on TV and bitch because you <deleted> up

I first came to Thailand in 1982. I recall large sign at immigration Don Muang stating "Unless your national dress includes long hair and sandals, you may (or will, don't recall exact words) be denied entry into the kingdom" That gave me a "wow" moment. Didn't want those dang hippies... hmm how did they apply this to women? just popped into mind.

2 minutes ago, manchega said:

that must be your era though Crossy? I know a fair few who were well into that thing some straightened out, many took uni jobs

whats with the discrimination over looks? is it what comes of being old, its not as if you are inviting him to work for you or marry your daughter /son?

I would say it's a case of being aware of the way a different culture looks at the appearance of any individual.

99% of Thai people make an initial decision on you based on whether you are wearing a neatly pressed shirt and trousers or T shirt and shorts especially when dealing with officials of any kind.

Whether you or me agree with it or don't agree with it doesn't really come into it.

37 minutes ago, manchega said:

beleivable story, Thailand is racist and unashamedly anti dark skinned people

I don't think that's true.

I once lived in a condo with a black American staying in another apt, he was not denied entry and stayed long term.

Thailand just don't want people who look like hippies.

On another note, all people like to live with people who look similar to them, don't you think.

why would you want to go somewhere to spend your money (and dude looks like he got loads of money. he's wearing the best nose ring $5.00 can buy.) that doesn't want you? he's just another delusional black american that hates his black skin color so much, that he now believes everyone else hates his black skin too. sad.  thank u thaivisa for providing more important content.

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

I first came to Thailand in 1982. I recall large sign at immigration Don Muang stating "Unless your national dress includes long hair and sandals, you may (or will, don't recall exact words) be denied entry into the kingdom" That gave me a "wow" moment. Didn't want those dang hippies... hmm how did they apply this to women? just popped into mind.

I remember Singapore in the 70's, signs at the Post Office, "Men with long hair will be served last".

There's no evidence that he was denied because of his skin colour. Black Americans enter Thailand all the time.

Perhaps dressing like a degenerate and too many visits over a short period of time are the reasons he was denied.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

He is not the first person to be refused entry having visited too many times in a short period of time. All of us who have been here a while understand that one and some of us know someone who was refused for exactly that. I do. A South African businessman, on crutches with a broken leg coming here for treatment in a private hospital.

Recent immigration checks have definitely and openly targeted dark skinned people, so his assertion his skin colour is involved certainly has some merit. I think I heard him mention Don Mueang, which coincidentally seems to be the place that hits the news for refusals extremely regularly. At the end of the day though, if you are going to come here fairly often, it really is a sensible idea to get a visa, which overcomes much of the potential drama.

hi im sorry to hear if thats the real reason colour , i was in Thailand very recently, were a couple of guys and 1 lady same colour reference as the person making this claim or allegation they had no problems they were in ques near by saw them at baggage collection obviously no issues.. 

1 hour ago, manchega said:

If you don't understand the importance of 'looks', then you're not even at the start line. For millennia the way people behave, the way they dress, their attitude, their manners - these have defined relationships, both personal and at an official level. This has always been so, and most especially in Asia. If you imagine that such judgements should be abolished in the modern world, then I'm afraid you will be very disappointed - and particularly with the present authoritarian government in power in Thailand.

17 hours ago, Ratt Thai said:

@Keivyn Graves,

Lesson 1 when you come to Thailand....  stay polite and never show an attitude to the IO when he or she questions you...

2: never say you'r a tourist when you'r stating on your facebook that you'r living in Thailand... did you got some kind of a visa ?

3: follow the news on whats going on with immigration in Thailand, be aware that they try to "sift" out the bad apples from the past... and sometimes they trow away good apples with it...

So make sure that you are a shiny and tasteful looking apple... 

There is no point in complaining about others or blaming others if your own actions are the cause of the problem...

i got this quote from your facebook profile:

"STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS! UNITE! FIGHT IGNORANCE, RACISM AND PREJUDICE!"

Way to go bro...

It’s nothing wrong with the quote on his page.  Rarely, if ever, anyone is turned away in Africa. In fact, millions of Asians are making homes there. They even have their own police. As far as his looks, I have seen many of other races that look worse. The young many spoke well and was not disrespectful. People need to wake up and see the real threat.?

It would seem he's very quick to play the racist card, just remember anyone can be refused entry and they do not have to give a reason, every country has the right to refuse NON Nationals entry. For a moment just think about how many people are REFUSED entry to AMERICA.

Get over it buddy you are not that special

Unlike the US, no Thai is going to have a knee-jerk reaction to a charge of racial profiling or racial discrimination.  The 'race card' does not elicit a politically correct response here. 

But, if he feels offended he should post it on his social media account and let his friends of color know that although Thais aren't white, they can be as racist as any supporter of Jim Crowe laws in the old US South and immigration is unabashed about the fact that they are racially profiling Africans, as well as those from Central Asia and the Middle East.  But racism isn't necessarily directed at blacks, but pretty much uniformly directed at all non-Thais.  If people don't like it, vote with your feet and find a different place to vacation. 

My own observations: lose the body piercing, hide the tats, wear a suit and tie or at least dress business casual, and you'll probably have no problems.  African-American friends that I know who vacation here and visit me don't seem to have these problems and generally feel welcome if not a curiosity to the more rural Thai folk and quite a few Thai women. 

Unfortunately, where you have an unelected junta government the response would be (pardon for being so blunt )  go eat cake, coming from the land of the free to the land of smiles is an entirely different journey, Military Junta's are dictators they do what they want, you have no rights. 

Imagine you were a Thai immigration officer and your job is to try to admit people with legit reasons for visiting Thailand as well as to filter out undesirables. Does this guy look desirable?  Far from it, he looks like trouble. That snot ring, dirty worn out T-shirt looking pretty ripe, stupid looking rapper cap on backwards ... Get lost.

Um...Thailand has many black people, brown and light brown and yellow people. What he was told about 'frequently' visiting isn't new and it happens all over Asia and the rest of the world. It's called 'stay out period' once a Visa or many have been issued then person from a particular Country has to 'stay out' for a certain amount of time. I'm the minority white here, I was in China too. That's how it is bro!

33 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Unfortunately, where you have an unelected junta government the response would be (pardon for being so blunt )  go eat cake, coming from the land of the free to the land of smiles is an entirely different journey, Military Junta's are dictators they do what they want, you have no rights. 

I think generally and for a long time a lot of the Thais have been and still are shall we say intimidated by people who are darker skinned than their own perception of themselves as Thais. The physical size of some expats and the general self confidence of same is not something they are comfortable with. How they react to it is down to the individual.  If the individual is in a uniform with powers, real or perceived, then a very confident reaction or even a very slightly aggressive reaction will be taken as an insult, to the person or the uniform. Once that point is reached there is no going back.

It's always been there, it's not a recent happening.

Looking at that picture and reading what he said - which was inflammatory and accusatory - I can understand why Thai immi folks may have had some doubts to start with.

Here's a lesson dude, when you travel, don't look like a hoodlum! Dress for respect and you'll likely get it.

And what the he!! up with that ridiculous nose ring. Does he think he's a bull?

Archived