US man claims he was denied entry to Thailand because of the the color of his skin

webfact

I think no question the guy is probably correct they are penalizing him due to his appearance.  However, why not remove the nose ring and dress up for the occassion.  Is it really any different than a man putting on a suit to impress a business associate or a woman?  Dress up not down.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well there you go I heard it also.

Guys full of crap....

False sense of entitlement?  Delusions of grandeur?  These rules don't apply to me.   Should have let him in and issued him with a Thai driving licence while they were at it.  He would fit right in behind the wheel here.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

He scares you??

Did you listen to him talk not much intimidating about the guy.

Unless I guess you are afraid of those scary Urkel glasses...

don't let the voice of these guys fool you.  That is their stock in trade. Just before one of them gets behind you.

Nose rings, hat backward gangsta style, entitled stand your ground victim attitude didn't help either I am sure. If he knew how American immigration treats visitors to the US he would be shocked. He doesn't realize visiting a foreign country is a privilege, not a right. That said, I am sure with the crackdown by immigration of Africans overstaying their visas, skin colour was part of his rejection equation. 

6 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I first came to Thailand in 1982. I recall large sign at immigration Don Muang stating "Unless your national dress includes long hair and sandals, you may (or will, don't recall exact words) be denied entry into the kingdom" That gave me a "wow" moment. Didn't want those dang hippies... hmm how did they apply this to women? just popped into mind.

post-26779-0-69649900-1443388440_thumb.jpg

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

I don't think that's true.

I once lived in a condo with a black American staying in another apt, he was not denied entry and stayed long term.

Thailand just don't want people who look like hippies.

On another note, all people like to live with people who look similar to them, don't you think.

You don't look like them unless you look asian.. 

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Looking like that I'm afraid I would have rejected him under the "hippy look" rule even if he was white.

Lose the nose ring and baseball cap, buy a new T.

sort of like what has happened to miles davis in his ferrari, stopped for "DWB" driving while black.

A play directly from Al Sharpton's book. When you don't get what you want, blame it on some minority variable.

I would like to hear more facts from immigration, but I highly doubt the refusal was based on color of the skin.

I used to travel a lot, dressed as a hippy and after being asked about searching my luggage in various countries and pulling me aside to ask me questions, I've since stopped dressing that way, cause yes, appearances do matter, but still, I was never denied entry into my country of choice, and I am a white male, so if it's really about skin color, I should be "privileged" and not have to go through any of that nonsense. So to me, the color theory after traveling often, to over 30 countries, has no basis in logic, in my experience.

However, I am under the impression his problems are like many others have said - he has either been in the kingdom too long, came in too many times, has the wrong visa, was not able to show proof of onward flight - which is stated on the US state Department's website that an American citizen needs, or something to that effect. After reading so many articles over the months, it seems that immigration is cracking down on how long and how many times people come into the Kingdom, which is their right.

As a side note, I've read many articles of people who travel for a living, who are white, and have been denied entry into the country of their choice for any number of reasons of legitimate variables to be able to get into a country - onward flight, money, etc.

Labels are so regressive, why are they still being used?

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

Nose rings, hat backward gangsta style, entitled stand your ground victim attitude didn't help either I am sure. If he knew how American immigration treats visitors to the US he would be shocked. He doesn't realize visiting a foreign country is a privilege, not a right. That said, I am sure with the crackdown by immigration of Africans overstaying their visas, skin colour was part of his rejection equation. 

Very well said. As a US citizen, I've even been questioned times by immigration about coming back into the US - why was I in the country of my choice, who do I know there, where did I stay, etc. September 11th changed the flying experience around the world. I hate immigration but I understand that most immigration officers are doing their job for the safety and intent or character of their respected country.

On 11/5/2018 at 5:32 PM, Crossy said:

Looking like that I'm afraid I would have rejected him under the "hippy look" rule even if he was white.

Lose the nose ring and baseball cap, buy a new T.

Not a "hippy look" at all.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:59 PM, jethro69 said:

I was once told everyone can play the racist card, only the Caucasian are left out. Those stories are getting boring.

Behave, b4 playing the race card.

This is Thailand, and they hate anything but Thai.

....and then we might ask ourselves, what is Thai?

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

....and then we might ask ourselves, what is Thai?

According to Google, Thai is the people, Tai is the language...????

Thai
//
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to Thailand, its people, or their language.
noun
  1. 1.
    a native or inhabitant of Thailand.
  2. 2.
    the Tai language that is the official language of Thailand.

Hopefully the writer means kraa/tdai, pakh tdai / pasaa tdai. The southern accent,still not the official language of Thailand

17 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

According to Google, Thai is the people, Tai is the language...????

Thai
//
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to Thailand, its people, or their language.
noun
  1. 1.
    a native or inhabitant of Thailand.

2. 2.
    the Tai language that is the official language of Thailand.

Hopefully the writer means kraa/tdai, pakh tdai / pasaa tdai. The southern accent,still not the official language of Thailand

Seems it was more a reference to the people, culture, attitudes.

19 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I first came to Thailand in 1982. I recall large sign at immigration Don Muang stating "Unless your national dress includes long hair and sandals, you may (or will, don't recall exact words) be denied entry into the kingdom" That gave me a "wow" moment. Didn't want those dang hippies... hmm how did they apply this to women? just popped into mind.

And today people are cautioned to dress properly when going to immigration.  I get the backpacking, dress like you want, do what you want mentality.  But when visiting a foreign country, well, their rules and expectations, whether you like them or not are there

And today people are cautioned to dress properly when going to immigration.  I get the backpacking, dress like you want, do what you want mentality.  But when visiting a foreign country, well, their rules and expectations, whether you like them or not are there
If you have the 20 k then you can dress any damn way you Ike. No way I'm wearing a suit on a 11 hour flight lol

32 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

As a Falang it can be embarrassing to see the some of the unkempt filth who go into these offices.  It almost seems like an <deleted> attitude toward immigration and the country.  But, you will never convince them to change. Visual impressions do matter, but It is who they are and they could careless.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

As a Falang it can be embarrassing to see the some of the unkempt filth who go into these offices.  It almost seems like an <deleted> attitude toward immigration and the country.  But, you will never convince them to change. Visual impressions do matter, but It is who they are and they could careless.

Yep.  I was a teen in the 70s and looking back at the photos and movies, well, we did not dress very well!  but, se had no money and jeans worn out were about the best we could do.  Haircuts were few and far between.  Now as I am 61 and reasonably well off, as I travel or walk around, or go into restaurants or any other businesses here in the states or in the dozen or so countries I have visited, I do dress and act reasonably well.  Not a suit and tie, but certainly a polo type shirt with a collar, khaki pants etc.  really doesn't take much and it really has helped on more than one occasion.  

21 hours ago, blackhorse said:
22 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

If you have the 20 k then you can dress any damn way you Ike. No way I'm wearing a suit on a 11 hour flight lol

Nothing says wear a suit and tie.   Even a decent non-ripped T shirt could be OK. But as an adult, and showing some conservatism a shirt like polo thing with a collar would not hurt your cause.  If you want to show up like a down and out, bum, so be it. It is your choice.  Good luck with your approach.  Your attitude alone shows disrespect towards the country you are traveling to

On 11/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, giddyup said:

I'm just expressing my individuality man, same as a million others that have nose rings.

I get it...well, not really. But nonetheless, express it once you're through immigration. Use your head for more than a hat-rack.

Archived