Fencing a property with bushy shrubs!

yopf

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for advice and tips of fencing off a property in the south of Thailand. Ideally something with floral features and easy to maintain. A similar effect that Oeleander would offer a property in Europe. Thanks in advance!!

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've seen various plants and shrubs used effectively.

Ixora is probably the most common, but also Hibiscus, Bougainvillea and Alpinia.

Seems to me the OP is looking for plants that will serve the 'fence' purpose for many years and continue to look good for many years and are hardy / not difficult to maintain.

So what's probably important is to select plants that naturally maintain their overall bushiness very long term and don't eventually grow taller with the bushiness only at the top of bare stalks, and/or don't need pruning. 

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me the OP is looking for plants that will serve the 'fence' purpose for many years and continue to look good for many years and are hardy / not difficult to maintain.

So what's probably important is to select plants that naturally maintain their overall bushiness very long term and don't eventually grow taller with the bushiness only at the top of bare stalks, and/or don't need pruning. 

Not sure there's anything that fits that 'bill' (?), so I was just trying to offer suggestions as to shrubs/plants that are attractive and can form a 'fence'.

But I agree.  Ixora, Hibiscus, Bougainvillea and Jasmine all need frequent pruning at the beginning to form a 'hedge' (less frequent thereafter), and Alpinia (if I have the correct name) spreads v. quickly, so needs to be kept in check.

8 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not sure there's anything that fits that 'bill' (?), so I was just trying to offer suggestions as to shrubs/plants that are attractive and can form a 'fence'.

But I agree.  Ixora, Hibiscus, Bougainvillea and Jasmine all need frequent pruning at the beginning to form a 'hedge' (less frequent thereafter), and Alpinia (if I have the correct name) spreads v. quickly, so needs to be kept in check.

Sure, and if it's a long fence that's a lot of work.

A twist, 12 - 14 years ago a buddy from UK inherited a fortune, he sold his nice house on Jomtien beach and with his very intelligent very pleasant Thai wife, excellent English, searched for a much bigger piece of land to establish a dream property, nice house but not over the top and enough land to start a vineyard.

I forget the exact size but around 250 meters by 250 meters, slight slope so they could make a stream just outside the front door. They found what they wanted about 5 or 6 Km from Pattaya city.

They decided to built a substantial reinforced cement fence 1.8 meters high with two strings of barbed wire on the top - cost, best price was 8.5 million Baht from contractor with a good reputation and he did a good job and he got the contact to build the house and set up the lanes of good topsoil and wires strings etc., for the vineyard.  

So not surprising, if it's a big plot (repeat if it's a big plot) to look for alternatives to solid fencing. 

10 hours ago, yopf said:

Jasmin!! Now that’s music to my ears????????

I planted a type of Gardenia shrub (longer, more fragrant and flowers more frequently than ordinary Gardenia) in front of my raised patio, but I don't think it would form a 'thick' hedge if that is what is required.

A lovely alternative, if the 'fence' doesn't need to be impenetrable.

The shrub would be used to cover a permanent fixture and the usage of the word cover is the objective here. So floral fragrance is what I mainly hope to achieve. I love the idea of Jasmin. - are the varieties of the shrub in Thailand fragrant, as like on the Mediterranean basin, for example..?

Can anyone tell me the best way to care for Hibiscus, because I have tried it several times and it always dies!

One time it got covered in cotton wool sticks stuff and got reduced to sticks.  Another time it did well for several months, then started dropping leaves and when it started to regrow the leaves were tiny and eventually it died off completely.  The last time I tried it I got a big bush and planted it in a more shady location.  Again it just slowly died over about 6 months.

59 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Can anyone tell me the best way to care for Hibiscus, because I have tried it several times and it always dies!

One time it got covered in cotton wool sticks stuff and got reduced to sticks.  Another time it did well for several months, then started dropping leaves and when it started to regrow the leaves were tiny and eventually it died off completely.  The last time I tried it I got a big bush and planted it in a more shady location.  Again it just slowly died over about 6 months.

I never had problems with Hibiscus, maybe it's your soil. We had them both in the shade and in full sun, not much difference. When they get thirsty they do tend to get wooly aphids, easy to get rid of with a spray of wood vinegar  and a dash of soap.

1 hour ago, yopf said:

The shrub would be used to cover a permanent fixture and the usage of the word cover is the objective here. So floral fragrance is what I mainly hope to achieve. I love the idea of Jasmin. - are the varieties of the shrub in Thailand fragrant, as like on the Mediterranean basin, for example..?

For some obscure reason, fragrant flowers don't 'carry' the scent very far here - compared to Mediterranean countries.

I tried a jasmine 'hedge' next to the patio, but could only really smell it when I went up to and sniffed the flowers!

If it's only intended to hide an eye-sore (and smell lovely), I'd recommend the variety of Gardenia I mentioned previously (just a few flowers fill the patio with fragrance) - but you may have to look long and hard/wait to find it as 'garden centres' tend to all provide the same plants/shrubs.  Every now and again though, they all come up with a different type of plant shrub - which is how I came across this particular variety of Gardenia.

Depending on the conditions, ordinary Gardenia may flower frequently where you live as I know someone who lives a couple of kms away and has an ordinary Gardenia that provides an abundance of flowers - unlike my ordinary Gardenias....

You may also be able to find the climbing Stephanotis, which given the right conditions, flowers very well and also has a wonderful scent.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I sympathise as I can't grow Hibiscus either - they die very quickly.  ☹️ I took care to ensure they were frequently watered, but they mostly became covered in 'wooly aphids' or, just slowly died....  And yet just half a km away there used to be a lovely Hibiscus 'fence' - so presumably it's 'fussy' about soil and 'conditions'?

53 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I sympathise as I can't grow Hibiscus either - they die very quickly.  ☹️ I took care to ensure they were frequently watered, but they mostly became covered in 'wooly aphids' or, just slowly died....  And yet just half a km away there used to be a lovely Hibiscus 'fence' - so presumably it's 'fussy' about soil and 'conditions'?

Glad I am not the only one with the Hibiscus problem.  I often see it in pots or in some neglected garden and its looks really healthy.  Perhaps it is the soil chemistry at my place.  Do you know a plant similar to it that might be better?  I like the dark green glossy lush foliage because it adds a tropical jungle like of look to the garden.  

23 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Glad I am not the only one with the Hibiscus problem.  I often see it in pots or in some neglected garden and its looks really healthy.  Perhaps it is the soil chemistry at my place.  Do you know a plant similar to it that might be better?  I like the dark green glossy lush foliage because it adds a tropical jungle like of look to the garden.  

There's a commonly available shrub with glossy, green leaves, and it also has frequent, multiple, white flowers.

Unfortunately, I don't know it's name - but I'm sure you can find it at most 'garden centres'.  (Edit - look for a shrub with glossy leaves and covered in white flowers)

It's susceptible to a particular kind of LARGE butterfly/moth larvae - and they will quickly strip the shrub of it's leaves!  But it's not a problem as it quickly recovers.

Archived