Structural Engineer Required. Chiang Mai.

ozziedave007

So the deal is am renovating a standard style construction 2 story house in a Moo Ban. Is about 15 years old and of suspended slab style construction. Want to knock out some walls on the bottom floor and have had as many opinions on this as I have had people look at it. Thought I had it sorted when the "Moo Ban Engineer" came out with the plans and said "this wall and this wall can go", and now it appears he has been over ruled by some other Moo Ban dude who says can't change anything. Firstly is my house and I can do what I like, and secondly I am firmly of the belief that with a big enough RSJ support beam this may be expensive, but not an Engineering impossibility...Would any body have any recommendations as to who may have the required technical ability?. Please don't say google "structural engineers Chiang Mai".......there are none.

I would try going to the office of a large construction company.

All major projects have a sign outside listing the general contractor.

They will be able to supply the name of someone who can help you.

Option 2 would be a visit to Chiang Mai university engineering department.

Most traditional concrete construction here is a structural box "skeleton" with non-load bearing walls in between.

So can usually remove as many walls as you'd like, but don't think about removing any pillars or beams without expert advice & substantial replacement.

Take a look at any new construction... they cast the pillars and beams and then fill in the walls later.

I can highly recommend the below engineer. he's thai, but speak excellent english and worked on the Promenade and the mae rim makro.

นายอัคควัทธ์  พุทธิบุญสวัสดิ์

Mr. Akkawat Putthiboonsawat

(+66) 086 777 3071

Line ID – akkawat.put

22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I would try going to the office of a large construction company.

All major projects have a sign outside listing the general contractor.

They will be able to supply the name of someone who can help you.

Option 2 would be a visit to Chiang Mai university engineering department.

Thank you for your suggestion. Would appear that I may have found an Engineer who is currently looking at the original plans and have a site meeting today. He is qualified and prepared to "sign off" on his recommendations. He is an associate of one of the other Subbies I currently have on site. In scouring the previous posts with relation to this issue I saw some one recommending contacting the Uni (may well have been your self). Sent them an email some weeks back, but received no reply. Will follow up on it failing these other options. Thank you for your help :).

19 hours ago, jij said:

I can highly recommend the below engineer. he's thai, but speak excellent english and worked on the Promenade and the mae rim makro.

(+66) 086 777 3071

Line ID – akkawat.put

Thankyou. The ThaiVisa community come to the rescue again. Will contact him failing the other options I have been presented.

20 hours ago, steve73 said:

Most traditional concrete construction here is a structural box "skeleton" with non-load bearing walls in between.

So can usually remove as many walls as you'd like, but don't think about removing any pillars or beams without expert advice & substantial replacement.

Take a look at any new construction... they cast the pillars and beams and then fill in the walls later.

"Most". 12 Years as a construction fitter and welder for OTIS elevators, RSJ's and stuff where sort of my thing. This construction does contain some internal load bearers. Hence the frustration. Have a fair idea in my own mind what is required, but would like a confirmation prior to me breaking out the "acrow props", "gas axe", "9 inch grinder" and "Electric Glue". They are poured concrete walls, not brick. Thankyou for your response, will let you know the finished solution. This is gunna happen :). (despite my wifes protestations). ????

21 hours ago, Puwa said:

What part of town is the house in? If north of town, I can recommend someone. 

Is in San Kampeang. 9ks from the city. On the 1317. Have a few options been presented to me thanks to helpfull people like yourself. Failing them will be in touch, thanks again.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 10:21 AM, neilrob said:

Contact SSV Engineering in Sansai at 053 852082. Their web site is www.ssv-engineering.com

Can't email them(captcha code unavailable), don't answer any of the 3 mobile numbers and the landline was answered by a kid that knew nothing, but would get some one to call us back......the saga continues.....:)

• 1 month later...

Big thumbs up Dave!

I popped over to look at this problem and at the time: I kept saying this construction defies logic, it defies Thai building design and I have never seen insitu poured walls.

The concrete floor beams had been brought in one at a time and pinned together with cleats.

Without doubt it was a tread very carefully job.

Typically though construction is standard and predictable but if you take everything for granted it can be a downfall.

Thats a major job looking great now, the rest will be a walk in the park...but dont bank on it.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:26 AM, jij said:

(+66) 086 777 3071

Line ID – akkawat.put

I endorse that!  Akkawat is excellent and has worked or consulted on a lot of serious projects around town.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:27 PM, ozziedave007 said:

yes mate

Thought so.. 

The big house with the huge pool to the right of the entrance / security.. Thats now derelict.. I used to rent.. 

Way too many structural build issues.. Subsiding.. Cracks.. Broken pool.. and total idiocy of any and all Karnkanok engineers, repairers, etc they sent out.. Couldnt take it.. Reason I noticed was the cast walls.. 

This is the Karnkanok build quality.. Believe it or not as I looked on shock, the Karnkanok chief repair guy was ear to ear smiles at what a good job this was.. 

dgqZs5Lpk-KBsJDsFmKUVYoYxE4M8WGwo_Tg1Zep

Archived