Culture Ministry preparing master plan to preserve, promote Thai food wisdom

webfact

ThaiFood.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 6th November 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Culture has accelerated the preparation of a master plan to preserve and promote Thai food wisdom. 

The Culture Minister, Vira Rojpojchanarat, said on Monday that the Committee for the Preservation and Promotion of Cultural Heritage held a meeting to consider the draft guideline on the preparation of the master plan, which will be in effect from 2020 to 2024. 

Mr. Vira said the Thai food wisdom has currently been influenced by foreign food and its characteristics could gradually vanish. 

He said the master plan will be developed to promote and preserve the heritage of Thai food in a sustainable manner, so that all sectors can jointly promote and preserve the heritage of Thai food effectively.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-06

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai food wisdom

What does that even mean to preserve food culture? force people to learn to cook Thai, or make it a penalty if someone mix Thai food with foreign ingredients? sometime these useless ministries comes up with a harebrain ideas just to show that they're still around and still relevant somehow...

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

What does that even mean to preserve food culture? force people to learn to cook Thai, or make it a penalty if someone mix Thai food with foreign ingredients? sometime these useless ministries comes up with a harebrain ideas just to show that they're still around and still relevant somehow...

I assumed that preserve food culture meant the continued use of additives and preservatives in the food.

So where do you draw the line? Will this mean no more MSG added in Thai dishes? No more ketchup anywhere near Thai food, etc. 

Also, I saw tom yung gung pizza. Which country should be more aggrieved? The Thais or the Italians? 

If people wanna play around with their food to make it more delicious/palatable for whatever reason, they can. It's called evolution. To each their own.

Change is always happening. You can either accept it or put your fingers in your ears and scream. Either way, it's happening. 

If you give 100 Thai cooks a single meal to prepare, all using the same ingredients but not limiting the amounts then you will get 100 meals that are similar but each will be subtly different.

My wife makes a meal one way and my neighbour makes the same meal but it tastes differently. If you eat the same meal in say 20 restaurants it will still be the same meal but taste different.  my wife will make a meal less spicy for me, more spicy for our son and even more spicy for herself.

The minister is talking from the same place that all ministers talk from and he has little idea of reality.

The other paper has a similar post but they are also talking of fusion foods.

7/11 et al is doing the best job of ruining Thai food. To say that it is being threatened by foreign food is not true. For goodness sake , one day its the removal of street food trying to drive everyone into the 7/11, the next day bemoaning the disappearance of traditional Thai food. Just make your minds up.

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you give 100 Thai cooks a single meal to prepare, all using the same ingredients but not limiting the amounts then you will get 100 meals that are similar but each will be subtly different.

My wife makes a meal one way and my neighbour makes the same meal but it tastes differently. If you eat the same meal in say 20 restaurants it will still be the same meal but taste different.  my wife will make a meal less spicy for me, more spicy for our son and even more spicy for herself.

The minister is talking from the same place that all ministers talk from and he has little idea of reality.

The other paper has a similar post but they are also talking of fusion foods.

What did they use before chillies were introduced, chillies are native to STH America not Asia.

11 minutes ago, heybuz said:

What did they use before chillies were introduced, chillies are native to STH America not Asia.

Similar to India pepper was the spice used until those Portuguese  ( spelling? ) introduced chillies that as you say came from the other side of the world.

That would mean the real Thai food from history would use pepper and not chilli.

Funny old game, innit??

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Only a 4 year plan just when were getting used to 20 year plans.

I hope it includes preserving the wisdom that created the ever popular classic gourmet Thai dish; pork complimented with rice and an oily fried egg on top. It would be a tragedy if that culinary delight ever got lost to history.

5 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I hope it includes preserving the wisdom that created the ever popular classic gourmet Thai dish; pork complimented with rice and an oily fried egg on top. It would be a tragedy if that culinary delight ever got lost to history.

Don't forget the egg has to be crispy underneath and totally uncooked on top especially the white around the yolk. Now that is an art few have mastered.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

That's my favourite.

Archived