Unable to pay for her lunch, Australian to be deported for overstaying visa

geovalin

The Phnom Penh Municipal Immigration Department on Sunday detained an Australian national for overstaying her visa in the Kingdom and failing to pay for her lunch. Major Kim Sothea, deputy chief of the municipal immigration department, identified the suspect as 47-year-old tourist Taylor Mar.

Maj Sothea said Ms Mar was found to have overstayed her visa after she was detained for failing to pay for her $30 lunch bill on Sunday. He noted that Ms Mar entered Cambodia through Siem Reap International Airport on September 4 and was given a 30-day tourist visa.

However, on Sunday, police were called to the Sofitel Hotel in Chamkar Mon district after Ms Mar failed to pay her lunch bill. “She’s a foreigner that did not have money. She was later caught by hotel security and sent to police,” Maj Sothea said. “She came from a developed country, but she has poor conduct.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50547523/australian-to-be-deported-for-overstaying-visa/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 06/11

The article goes on to say:

"She will soon be deported after she’s able to pay,” he added. “We are waiting for an Australian embassy representative to come with money for the fine and flight ticket. "

If your embassy is anything like ours , they will be waiting for a long time. 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

The article goes on to say:

"She will soon be deported after she’s able to pay,” he added. “We are waiting for an Australian embassy representative to come with money for the fine and flight ticket. "

If your embassy is anything like ours , they will be waiting for a long time. 

He will be waiting for a long time as the Australian Embassy doesn't pay for it's citizens fines or flight tickets, so unless a relative is paying the funds into the embassy for them to on pay the fine and pay for the flight from the relatives finds transferred to the embassy, she will be going nowhere fast.

Clearly a dumb nutter and unacceptable behavior ,.. but hey,. The Australian embassy to pay for her lunch and ticket home,.. really? Do Cambodian embassies pay for their citizens overstay and misconduct abroad? 
You pay,. you rich,.. Sounds familiar? 

I think the role of embassies is very much in decline, Britain, America, Australia are cutting back on services, others will be following. Heads of State now communicate directly or with mobile representatives and delegates. Ambassadors are reduced to ceremonial roles.

5 hours ago, phycokiller said:

$30 seems a lot for a lunch

Sofitel ain't cheap. 

Besides, if you plan on doing a runner, why not have champagne and lobster?

And cheap Is certainly relative, I don't think the equivalent of sub 1000 baht particularly expensive for lunch in a hotel. 

7 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Was maybe a looker 20 years ago . Men used to lust over her and pay for her dinner in the hope of getting a root ! In Asia she has absolutely no chance of that happening , not desired at all . 

hate to say this but given the obesity in thailand she'd hold her own some go go tables in thailand

7 hours ago, phycokiller said:

$30 seems a lot for a lunch

Actually a fair deal at the Sofitel. Why eat at a five star hotel if you are broke and your visa has expired? A loony tunes? Off her meds? Looking for attention? 

How did she think this situation was going to end?

9 hours ago, geovalin said:

“She came from a developed country, but she has poor conduct.”

A revealing comment. Clearly not living up to the standards we expect of Aussies on a Saturday night out.

13 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Proving once again that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

i do sometimes get free lunch during some big international Arm forces and Navy gathering. I put on my seasoned military uniform with rank of lieutenant colonel. I did my homework the day before. I started talking with some military people of other nationalities outside the building then slowly walked into the building with them and had my free lunch. Not often you have that chance.

Sometimes I carried some files with ribbons on them and said I just need to pass it to the guy inside the building, providing names and all.

Of course I was in the army before but just a private. So I was confident and walk like an army man. No severe penalty for such impersonating as an army officer I checked the law regarding this.

4 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

She's fine looking. I'll pay for her lunch.

You're kidding, right? Either that, or the bar of your expectations of female pulchritude is set about 2 cm off the ground.

Why should any embassy, should it be here, there or elsewhere, have to play nanny and pay for it's irresponsable citizens who are jerks abroad ?

Such foreigners behaving stupidly abroad should plainly be let to face their responsabilities and face the local laws and punishment. 

One does not see why the taxpayers of any specific nation should have to pay for their nut cases abroad ? ? ? ?

Archived