Hua Hin retirement renewal this week - report

My proof of income letter from the UK Embassy just arrived with a copy of the information that is on their website. It still shows that both 800,000 and 65,000 are acceptable. Either the Embassy or Immigration or both are confused - see my Hua Hin post prior to this post

6 minutes ago, usacb500biker said:

CHECK this Out ???  Imm, says.... Retirees over age 60,  200,000B in the bank and 20,000B a month....I  74.....  NOT  800,000B,,,,,TRUE ??   Most of us are over 60.....

You asked a question about this in post 26 of this topic and were given specific replies and information from Immigrations Police orders.

An hour ago you were 70, now your 74.

You sir and trolling!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Thank you for the reply, did you ask them about doing the letter for immigration, is it a requirement to show that the 800,000 came from a foreign transaction, I have mine in Bangkok Bank, but obviously if I move it to CIMB it will just show as deposit

Their letters worked fine in CM....three times.  I walked in with cash, but used BBL to receive it.  We think only those doing internal conversions to Retirement extensions from other visa are ever required to show origin.  You can still show your BBL book to prove source of funds....just be very careful on first time extension, especially on conversion.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, john smith said:

My proof of income letter from the UK Embassy just arrived with a copy of the information that is on their website. It still shows that both 800,000 and 65,000 are acceptable. Either the Embassy or Immigration or both are confused - see my Hua Hin post prior to this post

But which one issues the exentsion?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BarryMunn said:

He said he never used an embassy letter, or maybe I just misunderstood the conversation...

He maybe also neglected to tell you he gave his bank statements to an agent who obtain his extension for 20,000 baht.

Anyone one TVF will tell you Barry, bank statements alone have never been accepted by Immigration as a method to prove income for extensions.

hello, Max66, POST 35

although I do not know the bottom of the story,
  I can certify that I fulfill, especially for my country,
forms where I have to give my father's name and my mother's name before marriage.
Fortunately, I am not asked for my grandparents' birth dates and dates of death.
I'm used to it, I do not take offense and I do not feel subdued.

1 hour ago, BarryMunn said:

There is clearly a huge difference between what the Immigration in Bangkok state & the provincial offices.

There also appears to be a huge difference between different locations of the same immigration office if this thread is to be believed!

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Sure.  CIMB 24 month fixed deposit..50k to 800k....but a) don't let it mature during seasoning. b) if you take the interest monthly; better make it for 850,000 because if you redeemed it, it could be worth less than the principle...so just to be safe....if you happened to get a legal hairsplitting koont doing your extension.

Thought money couldn't be in a long term fixed account as it had to be available to withdraw without notice.

5 minutes ago, andygrr said:

Thought money couldn't be in a long term fixed account as it had to be available to withdraw without notice.

you thought wrong.  You can withdraw it at any time, but forfeit at least some interest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

So this is what I am understanding for Americans. You will have to either show the income stream or 800,000 or a combo. But Thai banks don't want to set you up with an account because of the reporting to the US government hassles. Plus you have to deal with the reporting to the US government hassles. Sheesh.

Six months ago I opened another Bank account at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya, this was the first time ever a bank ever pulling out the U.S. form that you are opening an account overseas. It took me back a bit but thought the money being deposit was legal and the interest I would be getting overseas wouldn't have an effect on my taxes.  I had no problem with the process whatsoever!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I was at another IO doing the retirement extension two years ago on my own and the IO surprised me by showing me a photo of my son in school from the week before at the same city. She somehow knew there was a foreigner in town and where the kids are, same surname as me, as her own kid went to the same school. It was a friendly exchange about my son, but I couldn't say same for the retirement extension.

You do Facebook there you go? 

2 hours ago, usacb500biker said:

CHECK this Out ???  Imm, says.... Retirees over age 60,  200,000B in the bank and 20,000B a month....I  74.....  NOT  800,000B,,,,,TRUE ??   Most of us are over 60.....

Rumors,  you ever hear if it is too good to be true then it is!????

22 hours ago, weedywhaoo said:

I did my retirement extension in Saraburi yesterday. Now they ask for my wife's I'd card and house book as well. Also a map of the house was needed.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, my wife always goes with me so nothing new there but for the first time was asked for a map. About 10 days later had a call from immigration to try and arrange a home visit, my wife said we would be away and they said ok and would ring back sometime later, we are back now and waiting to see what transpires.

23 hours ago, weedywhaoo said:

I did my retirement extension in Saraburi yesterday. Now they ask for my wife's I'd card and house book as well. Also a map of the house was needed.

39 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, my wife always goes with me so nothing new there but for the first time was asked for a map. About 10 days later had a call from immigration to try and arrange a home visit, my wife said we would be away and they said ok and would ring back sometime later, we are back now and waiting to see what transpires.

Looks like Immigration arguments that processing retirement extension applications cause them less work than processing marriage extension applications are beginning to sound rather thin.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Looks like Immigration arguments that processing retirement extension applications cause them less work than processing marriage extension applications are beginning to sound rather thin.

Quite, I changed from marriage to retirement and see little reason now not to go back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite, I changed from marriage to retirement and see little reason now not to go back.

Thanks to the British Embassy's decision to withdraw their income confirmation service I am now going to have to switch from retirement to marriage in any event as things stand - and at least can now do so with a clear conscience as to whatever concerns I might have had about the resultant workload implications for Immigration!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Thanks to the British Embassy's decision to withdraw their income confirmation service I am now going to have to switch from retirement to marriage in any event as things stand - and at least can now do so with a clear conscience as to whatever concerns I might have had about the resultant workload implications for Immigration!

What month is your extension done, I will be doing mine in April

9 minutes ago, flexomike said:

What month is your extension done, I will be doing mine in April

July. As things stand, I'll be applying for a 60-day extension to visit my wife then, to enable me to accumulate and season 400k in my Thai bank account preparatory to applying for my intial annual marriage extension in September.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

July. As things stand, I'll be applying for a 60-day extension to visit my wife then, to enable me to accumulate and season 400k in my Thai bank account preparatory to applying for my intial annual marriage extension in September.

Good luck, hope all goes well I don't really want to do it but at this time I am planning on bringing over the 800,000. Have to pay taxes on it as it is IRA money so have to wait until after the first of the year

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Immigration rung mid morning to check if we were in, said they would come at lunch time then turned about 11am. Four of them in a pickup but only 3 came in the house. All very straightforward and quick, filled in a form and took a couple of photos. 

They would just have to look at my house to see it was a falang residence, they asked how old it was and looked a bit surprised when my wife said nearly 10 years. They told my wife they now had to check that people actually lived where they claim to live.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:12 PM, thailand49 said:

Six months ago I opened another Bank account at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya, this was the first time ever a bank ever pulling out the U.S. form that you are opening an account overseas. It took me back a bit but thought the money being deposit was legal and the interest I would be getting overseas wouldn't have an effect on my taxes.  I had no problem with the process whatsoever!

Happy to hear they didn't refuse your money because of the hassle.

But you didn't mention if it was < $10,000. It is my understanding you have to report anything > $10,000. Just the fact that it is out of the country in a bank.

Immigration rung mid morning to check if we were in, said they would come at lunch time then turned about 11am. Four of them in a pickup but only 3 came in the house. All very straightforward and quick, filled in a form and took a couple of photos. 
They would just have to look at my house to see it was a falang residence, they asked how old it was and looked a bit surprised when my wife said nearly 10 years. They told my wife they now had to check that people actually lived where they claim to live.

Similar experience for me, upon doing my retirement extension they booked a home visit and appeared 10 days later , in and out in 10 mins, couple of photos.
Ayutthaya.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Similar experience for me, upon doing my retirement extension they booked a home visit and appeared 10 days later , in and out in 10 mins, couple of photos.
Ayutthaya.

Looks like it will become the norm. We are on the outskirts of Chonburi and one of the IOs mentioned to my wife that they had been to see some in Bang Saen. The bigger their list the quicker it will be.

• Like 2