Palm oil being used to produce biodiesel

webfact

Palm oil being used to produce biodiesel

biodiesel-fuel-500x500.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 6th November 2018 (NNT)-The National Palm Oil Policy Committee is set to use 160,000 tons of palm oil in the production of biodiesel and electricity in an effort to make palm oil prices more stable. 

According to Director-General of the Department of Internal Trade (DIT) Mr. Wichai Phochanakij , the supply of palm oil currently exceeds domestic demand by 190,000 tons. To prevent the price falling, the National Palm Oil Policy Committee has come up with three solutions. 

First, up to 160,000 tons of palm oil will be used in the production of electricity at Ratchaburi and Bangpakong Power Plants. 

Second, large vehicles will be encouraged to use B20 biodiesel to raise the demand for palm oil. Bangchak Corporation Public Company Limited will be one of the distributors of B20. 

Mr. Wichai added that carmakers will be urged to improve truck engines to make them more compatible with B20 to solve the price issue in the long run. Up to 150,000 tons of crude palm oil will be used on a monthly basis. 

Lastly, the quality of palm oil will be upgraded according to the standard requirements set forth by the Ministry of Industry. The DIT Director-General believes that the price of palm oil will increase within three months if these solutions are implemented successfully. 

Meanwhile, Energy Minister Mr. Siri Jirapongphan has announced that the Energy Policy and Planning Office is set to raise the amount of palm oil used in the production of biodiesel by 0.3% to 6.9%. He claimed the move would increase the demand for palm oil by as many as 80,000 tons per year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-06

9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Bio fuels eat plastic engine parts.  Believe 5-10% mixtures are okay for plastic parts.  Old kitchen oil can be refined also. 

Not all biofuels are the same, the bad one for eating plastics is ethanol, which is the one they already sell at every gas station going, where as this is being used to make biodiesel, which does not AFAIK eat plastic.  As for old kitchen oil, sure it can be recycled, that is why they will buy it from you in Thailand, but there is no where near enough of it to make any real difference in regard to fuels.

Great! Just cut the whole jungle in Malaysia/Indonesia to grow more palm oil....greenpeace will love it! Who needs monkeys/birds/and the lot......we need more oil for our SUV's to drive them in the trafficjam and pollute the cities...

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

Great! Just cut the whole jungle in Malaysia/Indonesia to grow more palm oil....greenpeace will love it! Who needs monkeys/birds/and the lot......we need more oil for our SUV's to drive them in the trafficjam and pollute the cities...

Palm oil has been used for this purpose for many many years, the article is about stabilising prices.

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yep...

The continued mindless drive to consume and accumulate, usually disguised as something more warm and fuzzy.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the supply of palm oil currently exceeds domestic demand by 190,000 tons. To prevent the price falling, the National Palm Oil Policy Committee has come up with three solutions. 

All of which are related to increasing domestic use.

But why would that be the strategy?

• In May 2017 Thailand (Prayut) was invited to become a member of the federation of palm oil producing nations set up by Malaysia and Indonesia.
  • They were looking to Thailand for support to oppose the effects of the EU resolution to curb the use of palm oil  that could potentially damage the palm oil industry.
  • However, it was decided that the EU resolution had no impact on Thailand since most of its Thai pal oil products are exported elsewhere.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/981382-eu-resolution-on-palm-oil-not-affecting-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20170503-1230&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Is Thailand seeing the impact of the EU resolution that's creating an international surplus and Thailand really doesn't have foreign trade partners who can increase Thailand's palm oil imports; thus, the reason for planning higher domestic consumption?

Which is unlikely going to affect international palm oil prices.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Palm oil has been used for this purpose for many many years, the article is about stabilising prices.

I know that, greenpeace even supported it a decade ago...but last years they're against it.

Have you never flewn above malaysia? You can see palmoil plantations for half an hour or so, they are huge...All the jungle has gone and now Borneo is doing the same..

It's time that the Thai start saving fuel, why do they all need 4wd or very big cars to drive to work in traffic jam? And the pollution is getting really bad in BKK...now the smokers outside buildings are blamed but what about the polluting cars?

My motocy drives 45 km a litre in the city, outside even 55-60 or so. But the plane i have to use for a visarun uses more..

1 minute ago, Thian said:

I know that, greenpeace even supported it a decade ago...but last years they're against it.

Have you never flewn above malaysia? You can see palmoil plantations for half an hour or so, they are huge...All the jungle has gone and now Borneo is doing the same..

It's time that the Thai start saving fuel, why do they all need 4wd or very big cars to drive to work in traffic jam? And the pollution is getting really bad in BKK...now the smokers outside buildings are blamed but what about the polluting cars?

My motocy drives 45 km a litre in the city, outside even 55-60 or so. But the plane i have to use for a visarun uses more..

Stop doing visa runs, do your bit!

Maybe they will stop to put 10% of palm oil in condensed milk, I found up to 26% of palm oil in a "dairy cream" I have this nasty habit of reading the labels of every products before buying because my confidence in the industry is much the same as in the Sicilian mafia

1 minute ago, Tchooptip said:

Maybe they will stop to put 10% of palm oil in condensed milk, I found up to 26% of palm oil in a "dairy cream" I have this nasty habit of reading the labels of every products before buying because my confidence in the industry is much the same as in the Sicilian mafia

palm oil is in everything and not only in Thailand

Just now, janclaes47 said:

palm oil is in everything and not only in Thailand

Where did you read I said in Thailand? 

Industrials poison the whole world not only Thailand, but it's easier for these bandits when there are fewer laws to protect consumers.

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

my confidence in the industry is much the same as in the Sicilian mafia

A Sicilian friend of mine assures me that they do not exist!

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Greenpeace were instrumental in getting the biggest buyers of palm oil to commit to stopping using oil that has caused deforestation, they were promoting those companies based on the commitment they made, however since then they have turned to investigating and exposing those same companies when they break their agreement, which is often.

Some close friends had grown some Palm trees 10 or so years ago. Actually on my advice. They have done not so bad. And it's been farmland before. So are all the other places I,'m aware about. It might be different in the south, however, I doubt there much Jungle leftover.

So if Thailand is now going to B20, I am good with that. The only thing what makes me wonder is why did they stop the B5 a copple of years ago?

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Where did you read I said in Thailand? 

Industrials poison the whole world not only Thailand, but it's easier for these bandits when there are fewer laws to protect consumers.

You [et al] would be fooling yourselves to consider that such laws are enforced or enacted upon anywhere...

Especially, where the hidden evil really exist - the beloved West. 

what I don't get... (and I spent 5 years down in Malaysia watching the spread of palm oil plantations at the expense of rubber tree deforestation) is why/how Pawlonia Trees didn't take off as the new BioFuel source?

... fastest growing tree in the business and it's Oil product is the ducks guts; not only as an 'essential oil' but also as a great bio fuel!

even simply for it's rapid growth, it is easily/quickly replaced by replanting again and again

7 hours ago, tifino said:

what I don't get... (and I spent 5 years down in Malaysia watching the spread of palm oil plantations at the expense of rubber tree deforestation) is why/how Pawlonia Trees didn't take off as the new BioFuel source?

... fastest growing tree in the business and it's Oil product is the ducks guts; not only as an 'essential oil' but also as a great bio fuel!

even simply for it's rapid growth, it is easily/quickly replaced by replanting again and again

Probably because of the "Paulownia Scam" that bankrupted so many American farmers and has resulted in yet another naturalized invasive species in North America.  And the reason it is known as the "oil well tree" is not because it produces a lot of oil, its because it produces valuable timber in record time, the use of it as a fuel is in fuel pellets, which can of course also be made into ethanol, but not oil, that would not be a very efficient use.

17 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What does?  Biofuel is not one fuel type.

This post started out talking about palm oil used to make biodiesel.  That's what I was talking about. 

I was on the board of a biodiesel group in California and I ran my completely stock 2001 VW Beetle on B100 biodiesel.

Archived