Replacing crappy True cable modem

Barnabe

I recently got True Internet "fiber" installed - which after a bit of research is actually DOCSIS 3.0 cable, not fiber - and I'm having a lot of problems with the crappy router they provided.

The router is Humax HG100-RE, listed here https://uk.humaxdigital.com/network/hg100re-02/

I've noticed when I have the AC off in my condo, it overheats and the Internet connection starts slowing down to a crawl. After testing for multiple variables, I'm pretty sure it only happens with the AC off, as the router is noticeably warmer. I have a server running in my internal network which calls home to another jump point, and after a few days of being away (AC off of course) the server doesn't connect any more. If I go to the condo, the server is running fine, but again, no Internet because of the crappy router.

Long story short, has anyone replaced the router with another off the shelf one?

TP-Link seems to have a few like this https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5513_TC-7610.html they are a bit expensive but I would prefer to replace the Humax crap that having to suffer this on a daily basis.

Yes, you can do that. Just see to that you have all the information you need from the Humax router to fill in to your new routers config.
When I had True DOCSIS, it was tied to that specific unit. There were no login details or config to copy across to a different unit.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

When I had True DOCSIS, it was tied to that specific unit. There were no login details or config to copy across to a different unit.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

Sometimes there is, and sometimes not. That is something you must know for be able to do the change. I suppose you have a login to admin for the router you have. I have same True with same Humax router. Just write things down or copy over like a mirror with the right software.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Why not ask true if they have any alternative  modems  and or swap yours for another/new one

from them for free before going buying expensive replacements.

The Humax router is the replacement they have now, because the one before was even more bad.

13 hours ago, johng said:

Why not ask true if they have any alternative  modems  and or swap yours for another/new one

from them for free before going buying expensive replacements.

I went down that route but abandoned TRUE before going on the DIY pathway. Interested to know though if anybody actually managed to turn the TRUE frog into a princess.

20 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Long story short, has anyone replaced the router with another off the shelf one?

I have always phoned True and they replace routers free of charge. Since we were changed by True to Docsis they gave us a free Cisco epc3928 router and it has never been a problem for a couple of years now.

True DOCSIS cable modems are married to their DOCSIS system....like their cable TV boxes/cards.  It's not like swapping router/modems on an xDSL internet connection where you simply copy over some logon conditionals to get your personally bought router to replace there cable router. 

Highly doubtful you can do it....I've never seen post where anyone has been successful in swapping out the True cable router/modem with their own.  And not to be confused with just connecting another personal router to the True modem/router....I mean completely replacing the True cable router with your own cable router if you can even buy a cable router.

I have always phoned True and they replace routers free of charge. Since we were changed by True to Docsis they gave us a free Cisco epc3928 router and it has never been a problem for a couple of years now.

Ok thanks I will try that... That router is really a joke.

Did you have to tell them anything in particular to get them to exchange it?

11 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Did you have to tell them anything in particular to get them to exchange it?

I just told them their existing modem was unacceptable and they come and check it and change it if needed. They need all the customers they can keep so I find their service helpful and reasonable cost. (Wish I could say same for True Visions!)

• 10 months later...

Archived