Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, pmh2009 said:

So what's next... prohibiting  of laughter???

It's the Nonsense Factory of Asia,  in full production.

Truly the stupid's of the Stupid

The other news today

70 more people have died on the roads of Thailand.

You should hang your heads in shame. Thailand. :saai:

I have nothing against sensible anti-smoking laws. But this is ridiculous and unfortunately just as little thought-through as many other laws here that seem to have been concocted by over-zealous bureaucrats who have lost grip with reality.

This law is simply unenforceable in densely built-up Thai cities:

Okay, so you move down the sidewalk five meters away from the pub entrance... only there will be a hair salon. Move five meters further again. Alas, there's a karaoke bar. Five meters onward there'll be the entrance to a condo or a school or a massage parlor. Before you know it you'll be in Samutprakarn. And when you think you can finally light up (while your beer back in the pub has already evaporated, of course), you are going to realize that you in fact cannot, because you're standing right in front of a temple.  

Seems like a perfectly reasonable law...

5m from the entrance to buildings - it’s far more sociable towards non-smokers who don’t want to walk through the fumes. 

Unfortunately laws like this are necessary because some, perhaps a minority, are anti-social in the way their smoking impacts others. 

Its a step in the right direction. 

As others have mentioned, there are also many other aspects of life here which could see improvement (i.e. road safety) however, enforcing smoking doesn’t detract from the enforcement of raid traffic regs...  improvement is required across the spectrum. 

Sounds really good to me but first enforce not smoking inside

of restaurants.Last time i said something about it i was told to <deleted> off.!!!

Of course as always people start to bitch and whine about diesel

cars,burning garbage and what else have you!!!The topic is not smoking!!!

Nobody can say they do not add to polution by not using diesel fuel,everyone does!!!Everybody pollutes but that does not mean i should have to inhale sigarette smoke while havinf a meal.

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That's quite probably just your own personal circumstance ?

If you mean do I smoke myself, the answer is No. However Ithink compromises can and should be made between smokers and non-smokers.

24 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I have nothing against sensible anti-smoking laws. But this is ridiculous and unfortunately just as little thought-through as many other laws here that seem to have been concocted by over-zealous bureaucrats who have lost grip with reality.

Some people are sat in a bar by the open fronted entrance  , they stand up , take two steps forward and then light up , and the smoke just wafts back into the bar , defeating the object of having no smoking bars

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Look forward to watching this unfold. Who is going to police this? The only coppers I ever see are those at the side of the super highway trying to fine as many farang as possible. Not once have a seen a Bobby on the beat.

Maybe they don't have Bobbies in Thailand ????

1 hour ago, doremifasol said:

Kudos on promoting public health, but ........but..........

will I get arrested if I  sang "I am sexy and I know it"? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

If it can be proven that you sing so bad, that the environment will hurt or posing a health risk to people. Yeah, then the answer to your question will be yes.

Cigarette smoke is the residue of your pleasure. It pollutes the surrounding air, contaminates my hair and clothes...and my lungs. All this occurs WITHOUT my consent.

I have a pleasure also. I like to drink beer now and again. The residue of that pleasure is urine. Would it be safe to assume you'd be annoyed if I stood on a chair and pissed all over your head and clothes without your consent? 

THANK YOU FOR NOT SMOKING ????

27 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

And outside condos? Did I ready that correctly? So, you smokers can't have a puff on your balcony anymore.. LOL. That's just funny.

I know you were joking, but this to me is actually the most serious issue with second hand smoke, and it is hard to find solutions.

I completely believe in "a man's home is his castle" philosophy. But, condos seem to be quite "drafty" for lack of a better word. Balcony cig smoke, or even interior cig smoke, can snake its way through holes, into hallways and right into the condos of others. 

Better insulation is the best answer, but as we all know won't solve the problem completely. 

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Anyone here drive a car?

I don't like the smell, or the particulates that they put out. Far, far more noxious gas and pollutants than any cigarette smoker.

How about burning the rubbish? Will that be outlawed, too?

All just a stupid joke in reality.....

'You're referring to your post I assume?....  

Outlawing cars *(which includes delivery and service vehicles (fire, ambulance)) and see how you and the rest of society get along... 

Outlaw smoking and see if there is any change at all... 

the problem with smokers is that any argument used in its support is generally dumb as flook.... there is no reasonable reason to smoke other than 'I like it'... in which case fair enough.. because I like it now and again too... 

But to use the 'car vs smokers' argument shows and exceptional absence of reasoning... 

Not that I want to open a bar, better things to waste money on, but, let's just say I did and decided it would be a smokers bar for want of a better description. Compare it to a large smoking room at the airport.

Shouldn't there be a rule/allowance for such with filter systems and a 'BIG' sign at the door saying 'This is a smoking bar.' Or would the dyed in the wool non smokers object to it and on what grounds would they object?

Many years ago when I lived in Germany the town had a cinema called SMOKEY where you went to see a movie, have dinner,  drinks and a smoke!!!!

Only one in Germany, I think.

Archived