Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

This may only be the beginning. There are US cities that are banning smoking... as in completely, unless you are in your house or car. 

Brace yourselves because this is coming to a theater near you, sooner or later, in my opinion. 

https://patch.com/california/lagunaniguel-danapoint/no-smoking-dana-point-anywhere-city-says

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

No, it´s not any facts on that laughing has a bad effect on your fellow humans.

Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.

Why, if you drink beer, it´s not affecting somebody else. If you can hold your liquer, that will say. if you can´t, beers of the table.

If you drink and drive it can affect others

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

Police will all be issued with a 12 foot tape measure...

In fact, if they come up with that s#£2, it should be clearly marked. Otherwise we now what happens. Opening big doors to extortion, similar to the 2000 litter fine.

10 minutes ago, salavan said:

So, you put that under a person that you see as can hold his liquer? I don´t. That expression does not only fall into that you do not fight. There is some common sense included too, and that does not regard driving when drinking. Next time, please read all my post before taking one thing out of context.

Just as a little bit of extra education. If one person drown it can also affect others that loose livelihood, parent and partner. Do you catch my drift?

56 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Cigarette smoke is the residue of your pleasure. It pollutes the surrounding air, contaminates my hair and clothes...and my lungs. All this occurs WITHOUT my consent.

I have a pleasure also. I like to drink beer now and again. The residue of that pleasure is urine. Would it be safe to assume you'd be annoyed if I stood on a chair and pissed all over your head and clothes without your consent? 

THANK YOU FOR NOT SMOKING ????

First time I heard that was in the early 1970's.

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

...and unbelievable that were still talking about it half a century later. Still fitting and funny though! ????

Think it came out at the same time as Don't throw cigarette ends in the urinals as it makes them soggy and difficult to light

????????

1 hour ago, salavan said:

More so when obsessively distracted with mobile gadgetry, yet quite accepted by societies and authorities. 

What's wrong with this picture....

Don't know what all the fuss is about. First of all, there are considerably fewer smokers here than in many other countries and secondly, this kind of thing has been prohibited in various countries around the world for the best part of two decades now and rightly so. 

Good job Thailand - now please enforce it! 

15 minutes ago, nong38 said:

You would think they would have better things to do, would you vote for people who come up with things like this?

Yes I would.

A man on the street in Bangkok stopped me and asked for a light for his cigarette. I couldn't offer a light, but I did ask why he felt the need to smoke in Bangkok. Wouldn't it suffice to just stand on the street corner and inhale the wonderful city air?

4 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

No, it´s not any facts on that laughing has a bad effect on your fellow humans.

Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.

Why, if you drink beer, it´s not affecting somebody else. If you can hold your liquer, that will say. if you can´t, beers of the table.

''Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.''

Sir Richard Doll, the man credited with making the connection between smoking and cancer, when asked on the BBC how he would feel about sitting in a room full of smokers replied he wouldn't give it another thought the risk being so minimal.

So Somchai gets caught smoking outside building. Cops rocks up and gives out a fine. Somchai says, "i no money" and what then?

Smoking has been prohibited inside bars and clubs and yet most allow it.

So why introduce a law which you can not enforce, have no manpower to enforce  and have no way to monitor it?

Quote "These include condos, rental buildings, pubs, hotels, religious buildings, karaoke establishments, restaurants, laundries, salons, cinemas, parking areas, spas, areas for Thai massage, clinics, hospitals, schools, swimming pools, fitness parks, clinics and other places."

----

Read above quote word by word: No place left in Pattaya within 5 meters without finding yourself within a radious of 5 meters of one of the above mentioned establishments/aereas. This is nothing less but a complete smoking ban in Pattaya or any other densly populated urban aerea in Thailand. Not even standing in the middle of a road would bring you out of the 5 meter zone.

Those morons cranking out such illusoric (unenforcable) laws must have a masterplan: They only want tourists that are averse of any fun, eat vegan food and sing "Hare Chrisna" 24/7.
Poor Thailand. With "lawmakers" like this, all hope is gone.
Not that I think it will ever come to pass, but if it does, I shall spend my future holidays in another tropical paradise. It's as simle as that.
Cheers.

Wonderful!, 100 percent in favor!
Public smoking of tobacco is by FAR the worst thing about Thailand (then followed by Soi dogs and dual pricing).

Encountering Cigarette smoke must be made a rare and highly restricted condition in the Kingdom. Foreigners who wish to smoke publicly should stay in their country or go elsewhere.

BRAVO THAILAND BRAVO!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, yougivemebaby said:

Choke dee. 

Well many many years back Australia banned smoking in all offices etc., resulting in many smokers going down to ground level and having a smoke, in many cases several times a day, plus some of the smokers came down from the 38th floor etc., and then back again so there was time spent on waiting for the list, going down, smoking, waiting for the lift and going up again, probably 15 minutes even 20 minutes several times a day.

It was a conundrum in my building for a while the company didn't know how to handle it until the non smokers on mass demanded equal non working time and gathered near the lifts on each floor, went down etc., etc. Total employees in the building 1,000.

Result was of course many many hours loss of productive time.

The company decided this couldn't continue and made rules that smokers could not leave their work place to smoke.  Eventually it was taken up by unions who actually supported the company.

7 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Look forward to watching this unfold. Who is going to police this? The only coppers I ever see are those at the side of the super highway trying to fine as many farang as possible. Not once have a seen a Bobby on the beat.

My thoughts too...who the Hell will police this??...the police?...yeah right

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well many many years back Australia banned smoking in all offices etc., resulting in many smokers going down to ground level and having a smoke, in many cases several times a day, plus some of the smokers came down from the 38th floor etc., and then back again so there was time spent on waiting for the list, going down, smoking, waiting for the lift and going up again, probably 15 minutes even 20 minutes several times a day.

It was a conundrum in my building for a while the company didn't know how to handle it until the non smokers on mass demanded equal non working time and gathered near the lifts on each floor, went down etc., etc. Total employees in the building 1,000.

Result was of course many many hours loss of productive time.

The company decided this couldn't continue and made rules that smokers could not leave their work place to smoke.  Eventually it was taken up by unions who actually supported the company.

I saw a case like this in Japan where they gave the non smokers something like a week paid vacation time per year to offset the smoke breaks. 

Archived