Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Smokers nipping outside the front of buildings for a quick smoke will soon be a thing of the past in Thailand.

New regulations issued by the Department of Public Health will force smokers to stay well away from all sorts of public buildings and public areas. 

There will be a five meter radius exclusion zone from any entrance or exit of all manner of public buildings. 

These include condos, rental buildings, pubs, hotels, religious buildings, karaoke establishments, restaurants, laundries, salons, cinemas, parking areas, spas, areas for Thai massage, clinics, hospitals, schools, swimming pools, fitness parks, clinics and other places. 

Good

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible that there are weak willed idiots still smoking cigarettes in 2018.

What a wretched, (literally) stinking, health destroying habit. Self destruction at its finest.

And then these losers are upset when the Government tries to protect the health of citizens.

For the nicotine addicts who try to divert attention from the issue by bringing up diesels, beach refuse, etc. ("whataboutery"),  and insist people should be posting about these other issues instead, I suggest this:

Make a list of every health issue you can think of that is a problem.

Then, anytime you post about one of them, be sure to include every other issue in the same post.

8 hours ago, transam said:

In the UK they banned smoking in pubs etc, but you could stand outside and have a puff, in this case it seems you have to stand in the middle of the road..????

They banned smoking in pubs/bars and all air conditioned public places about 7 or 8 years ago but how many bars actually enforce it? I know of only 1 ago go that does and that's Sugar Sugar, the rest if them carry on as usual, even shoving stinking ash trays in front of you whenever you go in and sit down. 

6 hours ago, direction BANGKOK said:

This may only be the beginning. There are US cities that are banning smoking... as in completely, unless you are in your house or car. 

Brace yourselves because this is coming to a theater near you, sooner or later, in my opinion. 

https://patch.com/california/lagunaniguel-danapoint/no-smoking-dana-point-anywhere-city-says

Cannot come too soon.

Fashions change. At some time it was fashionable to burn christians at the stakes. Then it was the "non-believers" turn. Then the witches. Then the Jews. Then the Gays. Then folks wearing long hair and playing rock n'roll. Today it's the smokers that need to be nailed to the cross.

This opinion supported mainly by folks that drive an SUV, guzzling 20 litres per 100 and standing on a street corner in BKK inhaling the fresh air.
Be on your guard: Vegans will be next. Them eating food that deprives them of essential nutrients, making for expensive hospital bills later on, putting them in the same boat as smokers.
To be politically correct means to be anti-tobacco these days.

I just would want to see the faces of those politically-correct people, if upon entering the "pearly-gates", the first thing they would be offered, is a Cuban-Cigar!:clap2::cheesy:
- How simple would it be if there were Pub's and other places for smokers or non smokers. End of discussion. Everybody happy!
But it's not about that. And it's not a health issue. Inhaling "second-hand-smoke" is so diluted, that it has about the same effect as Homeophathic Medicine. = NONE! It's about the rightous majority wanting to impose their rightiouseness upon a minority. What else is new on this globe?

BTW: In the 50ties and 60ties, a non smoker was considered as politically "incorrect". Remember?
Fashions change. Let's be careful what we wish for. Todays political correctness may come back and bite some of us in the rear....

5 minutes ago, swissie said:

Fashions change. At some time it was fashionable to burn christians at the stakes. Then it was the "non-believers" turn. Then the witches. Then the Jews. Then the Gays. Then folks wearing long hair and playing rock n'roll. Today it's the smokers that need to be nailed to the cross.

This opinion supported mainly by folks that drive an SUV, guzzling 20 litres per 100 and standing on a street corner in BKK inhaling the fresh air.
Be on your guard: Vegans will be next. Them eating food that deprives them of essential nutrients, making for expensive hospital bills later on, putting them in the same boat as smokers.

I just would want to see the faces of those politically-correct people, if upon entering the "pearly-gates", the first thing they would be offered, is a Cuban-Cigar!:clap2::cheesy:
- How simple would it be if there were Pub's and other places for smokers or non smokers. End of discussion. Everybody happy!
But it's not about that. And it's not a health issue. Inhaling "second-hand-smoke" is so diluted, that it has about the same effect as Homeophathic Medicine. = NONE! It's about the rightous majority wanting to impose their rightiouseness upon a minority. What else is new on this globe?

BTW: In the 50ties and 60ties, a non smoker was considered as politically "incorrect". Remember?
Fashions change. Let's be careful what we wish for. Todays political correctness may come back and bite some of us in the rear....

Listen , it stinks .

Disgusting smell .

I dont want to breathe your exhaled smoke in , whilst I'm eating or drinking 

15 minutes ago, swissie said:

Sorry to gang up on you , but in this instance you could not be more wrong.

No one tells you not to smoke, it is your body . your health, they only tell you to do it in your space.

Smocking is not politically correct or politically incorrect it is simply unhealthy ,

I hope we can agree that it is unhealthy.

I understand your addiction , I had it also, (now about 35 years smoke free) It was not easy to quit but somehow I did it and never looked back.

If we agree that it is unhealthy, why would you want to subject me to an unhealthy environment? I realise you might not have a choice at this time , but we do. We should not be subjected to it at a public place and we should not have to run the gauntlet to get to that public place.

Sorry for the inconvenience but there are designated areas where you can get your fix. 

Better yet , give it up, I know it is not going to be easy, but your body will love you for it, your wallet will love you for it, and we will love you for it.

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

''Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.''

Sir Richard Doll, the man credited with making the connection between smoking and cancer, when asked on the BBC how he would feel about sitting in a room full of smokers replied he wouldn't give it another thought the risk being so minimal.

Perfect. And that was how long time ago? You do know that science move forward? He was the one the described the connection best of of many other people and countries in the 1950s. And was therefore given the credit for it. I guess you are an English man, but please do not make your people more significant than they are in todays modern world.

So far at least 2 posters denying the health risks of second hand smoke, and I haven't read every page.

Another saying it is the end of laughter, one says that it will or could lead to a revolution, another relates this to persecution of women, Jews, and gays.

The Onion?

No, Thai Visa Forums.

11 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

No, it´s not any facts on that laughing has a bad effect on your fellow humans.

Yes, must be extremely fun to create a negative effect on other peoples health. Your comment is a pillar for society.

Why, if you drink beer, it´s not affecting somebody else. If you can hold your liquer, that will say. if you can´t, beers of the table.

"Why, if you drink beer, it´s not affecting somebody else".
Absolute rubbish !
Drinking causes more problems in society than anything else. Drunk drivers kill innocents on a daily basis, in most countries in the world. Go to any British town on a weekend night, and see the effects of drinking, on the behaviour of people.

As a non smoker I welcome this and good health is important . I don't want anyone to experience lung cancer. 

But RTP can not control this , if anyone goes outside a condo and smoke nothing will happen unless the smoke police is watching you. 

legal-weed-frees-police.jpg

1 minute ago, MrMuddle said:

"Why, if you drink beer, it´s not affecting somebody else".
Absolute rubbish !
Drinking causes more problems in society than anything else. Drunk drivers kill innocents on a daily basis, in most countries in the world. Go to any British town on a weekend night, and see the effects of drinking, on the behaviour of people.

So again another person that considers holding your liqueur, as a person driving after drinking? That is not a problem with drinking. It´s lack of responsible behaviour.

Fighting after drinking is also considered to not be able to control your drinking, which again falls under lack of responsibility and disrespect for fellow human beings.

People drinking alcohol for relaxing and having fun, that knows how to behave, does only have a positive effect on other people. Can you say that about cigarettes, smoking and the smoke that comes out of them?

You must be joking! Go to a British town. You really have the stomach to even talk about that with the behaviour problem that exists in London and the rest of that country, without feeling ashamed?

The political correct brigade is strong in this thread.

I admit that I'm a smoker and no I don't want to bother others.

Working places or restaurants could or should be smoking free for all I care.

What really bothers me is that regulations in many countries (including the one I reside now) don't allow bars and clubs to make their own choices if they will be smoking free or not.

And now as if every other health problem has been solved some Thai bureaucrat lunatics came up with these brilliant ideas. Reminds me of my own country where you may waite several months for a simple medical exam but the health minister proposed recently some new stupid ideas about restriciting smoking in an effort to promote his own image. 

After all it seems Thailand wants to be the poster child like Singapore and to create a totally sterile environment.  

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Now if yah take some time to go to other establishments you would find that no smoking laws ARE enforced here. 

LOL, you can smoke in regular bars and restaurants all over. These tend to be the places which have customers.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

the problem with smokers is that any argument used in its support is generally dumb as flook.... there is no reasonable reason to smoke other than 'I like it'... in which case fair enough.. because I like it now and again too...

Funny, the reason that I smoke, apart from liking it, is because it is still legal to buy cigarettes over the counter. And as much as this hurts the anti-smoking crowd, in this society that we have created for ourselves, that should also give me rights as a smoker. It is a two way street here like it or not. Proper designated smoking areas should be established, and if that happened, then the issue about smoking outside entrances to public buildings wouldn't be there.

If smoking is so dangerous why is this, that it is still legal to buy them? Why would any government allow this when the dangers to health have been documented so much? Of course we all know the answer to that.

14 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Same like a factory can´t dump their shit anywhere, due to that it´s bad for nature. You smokers can´t dump your dangerous smoke into other peoples lives and surroundings.

I live in a nice moobaan and there's several houses where the thai dumped loads of huge blue barrels full of chemicals....or loads of products from their factory..they use the house as a warehouse for their crap. And these are expensive houses..

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

I live in a nice moobaan and there's several houses where the thai dumped loads of huge blue barrels full of chemicals....or loads of products from their factory..they use the house as a warehouse for their crap. And these are expensive houses..

And where are you going with that discussion? Do you mean that makes it right to blow smoke around non smokers?

Anyway, I do really feel sad for the houses.

14 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

That a very good step to promote public health and to get rid of all the bad smelling spews of all smokers.
If you want to smoke, get away from people and show some dignity and respect for other that don´t want your tobacco smoke in their lungs.

Same like a factory can´t dump their shit anywhere, due to that it´s bad for nature. You smokers can´t dump your dangerous smoke into other peoples lives and surroundings.

Thank You!

I smoke and I am respectful of other people. I don't think its appropriate to smoke directly outside a public office building doorway, thats pretty obvious to me. However, if I am say 3 metres or more away and outside there is no danger to anyone else's health so whats the problem? 

If people want to smoke thats up to them, if they are respectful and don't impose their smoke on non smokers then there is no problem, in which case nobody should have any right to impose any more restrictions.

This is one of those topics where people can get very emotional very quickly but if you are level headed about it ask yourself this. If there are already laws in place that protect people from second hand smoke and people obey those laws why do you need further laws? 

I am a smoker and I am VERY careful about where I smoke so as to NOT cause anyone any discomfort.  However, there are still people that come over to me, (outside,) give me dirty looks and hold their nose and act as though I am blowing smoke into their mouths.  Also, the inadequate amount of 'designated smoking areas' is quite problematic as well. 

4 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

If there are already laws in place that protect people from second hand smoke and people obey those laws why do you need further laws?

You know. my leveled head is think that there are maybe more smokers that are not same considerate like you. Have you ever thought about that as the problem that is calling for more laws?

Just to be a little picky. Make it 5 meter instead of 3 and you will become a model for all smokers.

14 hours ago, transam said:

In the UK they banned smoking in pubs etc, but you could stand outside and have a puff, in this case it seems you have to stand in the middle of the road..????

They have passed/enforced rules that there will be no smoking anywhere on government controlled premises, that means no smoking outside hospitals etc.Not sure they can stop people smoking on the streets yet.

2 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

You know. my leveled head is think that there are maybe more smokers that are not same considerate like you. Have you ever thought about that as the problem that is calling for more laws?

Just to be a little picky. Make it 5 meter instead of 3 and you will become a model for all smokers.

There are not too many studies for second hand smoke outside, but there are some. It has been proven that there are little or no risks to second hand smoke 6 feet or more away due to its dissipation in the air. The toxicity of the second hand smoke falls very quickly. So, why 5 metres? Remember we are talking about protection of non smokers but you must also consider the people who do smoke and be fair and level minded.

If someone does not obey the law then they are fined right? So no need to keep extending laws. In my view it is emotional response rather then fair or level headed and its certainly not based on any science. 

6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Incredible that there are weak willed idiots still smoking cigarettes in 2018.

What a wretched, (literally) stinking, health destroying habit. Self destruction at its finest.

And then these losers are upset when the Government tries to protect the health of citizens.

Phew, I'm glad you got that off your chest, JimmyJ

And I don't smoke!

Archived